New to X-Plane

GridNorth

I'm considering buying X-Plane 11 so I downloaded the demo. Unfortunately it' limited to one airfield and the scenery is awful. I have seen a YouTube video of someone trying the demo and it looked very attractive with good scenery, buildings, vehicles and even ground staff. Am I missing something?

Alan

Yes you are.

Airports:

There are many - you need to install regions using the Installer program, or else they're on water.

Scenery: Coming from FSX you should know it: Add-ons. There are a lot of freeware airports in the downloads section.

EDIT:

My bad. I assumed the demo was the same as the beta. So I may have missed something here ;). Someone else wrote that there is only one airport in the demo.

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

Sorted this specific problem, the demo was starting at an Airport other than Seattle. I may have selected it at some point whilst playing around but now the sim is very very slow to respond and "stutters". Any ideas. I'm running an i7-3820, 3.60 GHz with 16 GB and an AMD Radeon HD7900.

Alan

Hi Alan.

the demo often begins to stutter if you switch to another application while it is running, and especially if you are low on RAM. Also take a look at the settings comparison here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?17047-X-Plane-11-Settings-comparison

Your graphics card is a likely bottleneck. Try the settings described as S4 in the link. You should be near 20 fps for Seattle (which is more demanding than some other airports).

David

´´´\/```

That doesn't sound right. I think the AMD7900 series has 3GB VRAM, so that should be usable.

If 1) your 16GB RAM is really all recognized 2) Your CPU is not being taxed by other applications such as an antivirus program (I switch my AV and just about everything I can off when I use flight sims), 3) you are only using 1 monitor at max 1920x1080 and are running XP full screen, 4) your graphics card is actually being used (rather than an onboard intel HD chip) and the drivers are up-to-date, and 5) you've turned off the option "use thread optimization" under the settings for your graphics card,

then their may be a bug due to your graphics card. You could file a bug report with LR and hope they might fix it. Your system is above the minimum requirements, after all.

Good luck.

David

´´´\/```

Archived