Choosing computer for FSX

gustafsg

Hello,

Before you get all crazy about the following, I would like to inform that I am only here to get inputs on what I ask, and not something regarding pc's, either stationary or portable ones. :P

I am looking to get a new Macbook Pro, which means I'll combine both Mac OS and Windows OS, on the MCP.

Thus, this means I am able to run FSX and that leads to the main question.

I've been comparing the 2015 and 2016 MCP versions, and I am in any case looking for a maxed out CPU, but staying with 8 GB RAM and the standard GPU.

So,

Do you guys think there will be any remarkable change in running FSX on a Macbook pro with 3,4 ghz (2015 model) compared with 3.6 ghz (latest)? In both cases it's an Intel i7.

On my current MCP (2012, 3,1 ghz turbo boost) I use ORBX products, AI, and some third-party addons on my current, and whilst in air I have some 35 fps (limited), and obviously quite crap ones at fps-heavy airports and cities.

The price tag + incompability with the 2016 MCP is also to consider. Perhaps not for the main question, but still worth to mention.

Thank you! :)

To me, it all depends on the cost differential. There will be a small FPS difference between the two. Assuming the increase in CPU cycles is a linear function (which it isn't) the best you could achieve is a 6% increase in the framerate, all other considerations aside. If the cost difference is 5% (or less) I'd go with the 3.6 Ghz. Otherwise I'd go with the 3.4 Ghz. But, that said, I'd be surprised if you could notice any visual difference between the two.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Thanks for your elaborate answer Doug.

However, I might have a been a bit unclear I feel.

The 2015 MCP has a GPU with 3.1 ghz, doing the turbo boost mode to 3.4 ghz.

The 2016 MCP, goes from 3.3 up to its turbo boost mode at 3.6 ghz.

Anything you might wanna say?

No, everything was clear and the answer is still the same. - Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived