Uploading FSX to windows 10

rookie at 60

I have been away from sim-ing for a couple of years. I recently upgraded to a new computer with Windows 10 Home. I have a Dell Inspiron 3847, Intel core i5-4460 3.2 GHz, 8 GB memory, 1 TB hard drive, Intergrated Intel HD graphics. I am using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick.

My question is: Is there anything I need to know about running FSX Gold on this system. I haven't used Windows 10 at all until now( Windows XP only). I am not particularly knowledgeable about computer terminology so would like a very simplified version of answers.

My only experience so far is trying to get FS2004 to upload.....no joy. I appreciate any help you can offer.

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I spent the last two hours on here looking for answers before asking for help.

Thanks,

Few things to keep in mind:

- do NOT install in the default location, or anywhere within "Program Files" or "Program Files (X86)". It can be made to work, but you need some more knowledge than beginners have about tweaking the operating system.

- Run FSX and anything that connects to it (like vPilot and ActiveSky) as administrator. You can easily set that as a permanent thing by editing the properties of the desktop shortcuts.

Other than that, it works as expected.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think my first problem was installing to the default (X86) program. I uninstalled and re-installed to "program files" as per my buddy. When I tried to open, pop-ups asking if I wanted to run as "administrator". I kept saying yes but the pop-ups just kept coming back.

I have since uninstalled everything.

Hi il88,

The reason I was focusing on FS9 was that I just installed it to a Win 10 netbook (1.3GHz) last week to check out some questions in another post. It wouldn't run until I installed the update and the NoCD fix then all seemed okay. I don't recall anything related to admin rights or DRM. What does DRM have to do with this?

Jim F.

Thanks to all of you I now have FSX up and running. Will try FS9 today. Now is I could get the joystick to work properly. The crosshair is about halfway to far to the right which means I have to have constant pressure to the left to maintain my direction. Have tried calibrating with the software...no change. Does anyone know if there are adjustments on the controller its self? The controller is a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I bought it off a bargain table so it may have been a return that didn't work to begin with.

Thanks again for your help

Jim

Hi Jim,

What do mean by 'calibrating with the software'?

If you mean with the Logitech software provided with the stick your best bet is to uninstall it, reboot the PC, plug in the stick (letting Windows recognise it and install a driver if it needs to - this will be generic windows driver), start FSX and then re-calibrate within the FSX settings.

The software provided with the stick simply provides 'button settings' for various games and the driver provided is probably not W10 compatible anyway - one maybe available on the Logitech website ( I don't know 'cos I have never felt the need to check). Is is not necessary to have the Logitech software to be able to use the stick in FSX. You will be able to calibrate it and be able to assign buttons within FSX settings.

FTR I have used a Extreme 3D Pro stick for about 5 years now and initially tried to use the software provided (in W7) but always had problems. A friend suggested the solution I just stated above and 1 have had no problems since having used the stick in W7/8.1 and now W10 on three different PCs,

Regards

Brian

Hey Brian,

I was trying to calibrate with the FSX settings. I had a Force Feedback Joystick for a long time and was always able to use the FS settings. Everything worked very easy. After reading your post, I think I got a defective controller that someone else had returned. That is why it was on the bargain table. I only paid $15 for it at Hastings but they went bankrupt so I have no recourse. I think I will take the base off and see if there is any manual adjustments I can make........nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

By the way, there was no software with the controller.......maybe that should have been a clue.......duh.

Thanks and happy flying.

Jim

PS: update......I just got off Logitech website. Used their software download to calibrate joystick. It is off center 49 degrees to the right and 2 degrees off to the top. Hardware problem. No receipt so SOL. Am going to try to fix it.......if not, oh well.

Thanks for sharing that link, Jim F. It saved me from taking mine apart to find there are no adjustments to the centering of the default position. I am convinced it was faulty from the factory and was returned by previous customer. I think Hastings saw a chance to sell it to an unsuspecting sucker. Could be part of the reason they are out of business. I will bite the bullet and get a new one online.

Thanks to everyone for all your good insights.

The Rook

Archived