What are xxx_API.BGL files?

unclegreg

I have downloaded and installed Dutch_Harbor.zip (FS2004 scenery) into FSX and would like to delete a few of the buildings in the scenery as they sit on the water. The readme states that I should have Ultimate Terrain but I do not. I can import PADU_import.bgl into ADE and delete the buildings but once compiled and put in the sim all buildings disappear. The resulting file is titled PADU_ADEX_GRM.bgl. Is this because my ADE is set up for FSX? Does the PADU_import_API.bgl have something to do with this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanx in advance. unclegreg

...Dutch_Harbor.zip (FS2004 scenery) into FSX and would like to delete a few of the buildings... I can import PADU_import.bgl into ADE and delete the buildings but once compiled and put in the sim all buildings disappear. The resulting file is titled PADU_ADEX_GRM.bgl. Is this because my ADE is set up for FSX?

ADE works with the sim version you are working with, regardless of what version that addon was made for, so yes, you want ADE to be set up for FSX.

The buildings all disappear because the models for those buildings are compiled into PADU_import.bgl

When you compile to PADU_ADEX_GRM.bgl those models are lost as ADE does not pass them through.

Can I assume that you disabled PADU_import.bgl after you compiled PADU_ADEX_GRM.bgl?

Try this, enable both files in your scenery folder.

However, you want PADU_ADEX_GRM.bgl to be loaded after PADU_import.bgl so rename it to Z_PADU_ADEX_GRM.bgl

Does the PADU_import_API.bgl have something to do with this?

I do not think so, leave it alone for now.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanx Stringbean, I will try that. I did find another solution. I moved PADU_Import.bgl and it's texture files to a scenery object file outside of the Dutch Harbor file and now the PADU_ADEX_GRM.bgl displays without the buildings I deleted. I always appreciate your wisdom, thanx again. Oh, almost forgot, if I remove the PADU_Import_API.bgl from the sim there is no difference, same results with or without. Who knew?

unclegreg

I moved PADU_Import.bgl and it's texture files to a scenery object file outside of the Dutch Harbor file and now the PADU_ADEX_GRM.bgl displays without the buildings I deleted.

I would assume you moved PADU_Import.bgl to a scenery area with lower priority as seen in the Scenery Library. This is, in effect, the same result with a different procedure than what I recommended.

It's all about priority and getting the files to load in the proper order.

Either way, as long as you get what you want, it's all good.

Oh, almost forgot, if I remove the PADU_Import_API.bgl from the sim there is no difference, same results with or without.

That file contains a bunch of flatten polys so you may have to look close to see any difference. It also may be more important for those that have UT.

Either way, I am glad you got it to work.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

These are the file types ADE may produce: https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com/s/help_docs/m/20268/l/210825-what-bgl-files-can-ade-create

_GRM and _API are not among these and if used there are four sections to the name as you can see from the article. so GRM and API may have been used by the original author or perhaps are your or his initials?

Archived