Only have the 5930K as a choice to upgrade, help !!!!!!

Djerkove 7

Hi guys

Hope you're well, i'm very narrowed between these two cpu's 5930K (6 cores/15MB cache)& 6700K, but the 6700K is not available and in the nearly future iny region now and the only choice available now is 5930K. To be onest i'm lining toward the 5930K especialy i'm a home cockpit user (7 screens at one PC and too many USBs connected with multiple addons added), so u can say i'm a heavy P3D user.

So i need the advice if i get the 5930K i'll be happy and the results will be good ?? It will be stronge enough to control all these conditions smoothly as possible ???!!!!

In the past i was run 2600K on the cockput and it was good and extremly acceptable performance..

I'll run the latest p3d version with the latest addons available...

Hope to get the help

Thx

I have that CPU in my main simulator system. Don't expect too much from the 5930K, it is not that much more capable that the quadcores. The 6700K would be the better choice as value for money goes, and you don't have to overclock it (which is kind of a must with the 5930K). I still have my 3770K in my second system with a GTX 780ti, and there is barely a noticable difference. In fact, the 5930K with GTX 980ti is running the sims (FSX, P3D, XPlane) a tiny bit worse than my 3770K did.

Btw. be mindful of the "hard limits" that modern chipsets have for the number of USB devices that you can connect. I had severe problems to get all my external controllers and modules to work with the X99 - which was no problem on the Z77 that I now have in my test system. I had to drop in extra USB controller cards, and the whole USB system was rather unstable at times.

Evm, I am running that same combo with a water cooler. I have used the built-in software to overclock to 4.4 GZ. At that speed I am have no problems keeping around 30 fps with a 1080p projector and three LCDs. Two of them are touchscreens. I am running dual GTX 970s.

How many USB connecting are you using? I am using two powered hubs holding 7 each and have most of the back filled. I will need to add a third hub. Your comment about limited USB and instability have me concerned.

John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

USB:

On my previous rig I had three powered 7 port hubs and 6 additional devices attached directly. This was running without issues on the Z77 chipset, but it did not on the X99. I dropped in another USB controller card (at least those are not expensive) and most things seem to work - at least I am not getting the Intel message any more that warns about the limit (the Hubs themselves are USB devices too btw). But I still have random disconnects from time to time. With Windows 10 everything USB went south completely, as not all of my USB devices are W10 compatible. W10 seems to scan the USB ports all the time (I could see the radio panels constantly lighting up and going dark again even when I was on another Windows instance where there was no sim and no driver for the panels). So I stayed with W7 as well.

Performace:

I am running a water cooled system too, but I am not going to overclock a €600 CPU more than 4.0/4.1. I have had bad experiences with the "more". My simulator content is heavy on performance, and it often struggles to keep the 30ish mark. The 3770K @4.5 did a better job, which is only logical.

Also on my previous z68 chipset (which OC'ed to 5:00Ghz) i was've got some USBs problems too, as it seems to be not stable, and some USBs Re-recognized when i'm in the flight (cruise) and then it work normally without making any problems or CTD.

To be honest i'm looking for 5930K CPU, some or lets say most suggests the 6700K to me as it less cost, more single core performance and more to be usable than those of 6 cores, to be honest as i said in the topic i'm lining to 5930K and i'm not wondering that, i've feel it will not make any noticeable difference on the P3D then 6700K, i've said its 6 cores/15MB it will more strongly the 6700K, but the most not say that, they said the resvese of that. Thats why i asked here!!!! I'm very narrowed between the two i dont need to take decision make me regretful in the nearly future.

Also on my previous z68 chipset (which OC'ed to 5:00Ghz) i was've got some USBs problems too, as it seems to be not stable, and some USBs Re-recognized when i'm in the flight (cruise) and then it work normally without making any problems or CTD.

To be honest i'm looking for 5930K CPU, some or lets say most suggests the 6700K to me as it less cost, more single core performance and more to be usable than those of 6 cores, to be honest as i said in the topic i'm lining to 5930K and i'm not wondering that, i've feel it will not make any noticeable difference on the P3D then 6700K, i've said its 6 cores/15MB it will more strongly the 6700K, but the most not say that, they said the resvese of that. Thats why i asked here!!!! I'm very narrowed between the two i dont need to take decision make me regretful in the nearly future.

"They/Most" are correct, the 6700K is the better CPU for the current state of P3D. Not only because it is cheaper, but because it is more powerful at default clock speed. The two additional cores only matter if you have other programs running alongside the sim that need 100% of a CPU core themselves. On a hexacore you can comfortably shove those processes to their very own core without having to compromise the simulator. But I am not aware of any flight simulator related application that would need that much power.

P3D likes a powerful GPU, so I would buy the 6700K, and use the money that was saved towards a GTX 1080. In my country the combo 5930K & Motherboard is almost 1000€ while a 6700K with Mobo can be obtained for 500€. Why pay double the price for a system that is running worse than the cheaper one? I bought the 5930K because I needed it for my development system. There I have the situation quite often that many heavy-weight processes are running at the same time, and I am glad that I have a few CPU cores to move them around.

Archived