New Convert

truenorth71

I wanted to express some opinion and fact here, as it's difficult elsewhere without getting bashed or otherwise.

I recently became an X-Plane convert, coming from the stale existence of P3D. While it is a costly move, I feel it is worth it, considering what i have no experienced with X-Plane cannot be matched with P3D. I say this, based on my own experiences with the hardware I have an add-ons I've purchased in the past.

Don't get me wrong, P3D is a great sim, but combining it with add-ons like weather, aircraft, scenery, it's performance has become less than favorable. I've literally spent way too much money in the past on P3D, thinking that with each subsequent update, it would perform better for me, but I see that isn't the case. A couple of weeks ago, I performed a simple flight or two within Australia. Loaded up, I had ASN weather, full ORBX scenery and for an aircraft, the A2A Comanche. My settings are not full in P3D, maintaining a decent balance, as I have had to maintain in the past. My performance was still the same as it has always been, jittery with low FPS. I even made sure with the recent install (fresh) of P3D v3.4 that I left out some add-ons which I believed caused problems. Vector was one of them as well as regions. Australia is the latest SP too.

Anywho, I've followed, in the shadows, all of the talk about X-Plane. When the announcement came in that XP11 would be released soon, I took advantage of the deal that LR had and purchased it. Since that time, I've flown many different places, Seattle and London for starters, to see just how well the sim would perform and I am pleased to say that it OUTPERFORMS my P3D by leaps and bounds. Before anyone assumes that I was just running stock, I did download the the huge r1 update, the 50gigs or so of mesh, as well as some custom scenery, libraries and objects. Everything STILL ran better than P3D. Now, I DO get low fps, BUT the performance is smooth...something I assumed P3D could o on my system, but can't.

I am going through buyer's remorse and kicking myself for not coming over to X-Plane earlier...would have saved me a ton of money, but we all live and learn.

One other reason to note: I made the switch because a certain scenery company has pretty much strong-armed it's customers into working with a new "automated" handling of scenery, which since it's inception, has cause issues with my sim. Unfortunately, I have to take the brunt of the fault for whatever reason, that my sim is running worse since this change. With that, combined with new business models and new "technology" being implemented, it was time to get off the merry-go-round

Anywho, I love what I am seeing and experiencing with X-Plane now. Gonna have to put a new flightstick on my Christmas list this year, but I am patient, and patiently awaiting the new features of XP11.

- James

My advice is to take off at night from any city airport and notice the lights, cars highways....you will be blown away. Also notice highway overpasses, signs,traffic...ect. You can configure your buttons and joystick to mimic FSX and P3d so it's familiar. Enjoy!!!

My advice is to take off at night from any city airport and notice the lights, cars highways....you will be blown away. Also notice highway overpasses, signs,traffic...ect. You can configure your buttons and joystick to mimic FSX and P3d so it's familiar. Enjoy!!!

perfect suggestion.. night is the best for this purpose

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update....

I recently purchased the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X and used it with the C172 in XP. Needless to say, that plane is a beast to handle for some odd reason. This past weekend, I switched over to the Beechcraft (default) and it handles much better.

I have downloaded most of MisterX6's airports and I have to say, these make XP even better! I have ZERO issues with XP, compared to the wrangling I have to do with P3D. I couldn't be happier with XP, and knowing XP11 is coming, I am very eager to see how much better it will be.

I can't say enough good things about XP. My only wish is that P3D could have been this good at performance. I've held off buying anything for XP in anticipation but I hear that Skymaxxpro will be compatible with XP11, so I may spring for it.

- James

Archived