Attempting to create night textures for FSX default C172

cheetah621

Hi,

Using the FSX default Cessna C172's white texture as a base, I've successfully created a 'green alien'-themed daytime texture and daytime/night-time interior textures for a family member. Now I am attempting to create a bright-glowing-green night texture to complete the green-alien theme.

Unlike some of the other default planes, the FSX's default Cessna C172 does not seems to have a night exterior texture of its own. I thought maybe I could create a new night texture from the daytime texture and then add a line in a text file somewhere. So I had a look in both the default C172 folder and the default B737-800 (it has an existing night exterior texture). I read through the texture.cfg, the aircraft.cfg, and even the panel.cfg, and I could not see anything relating to manipulating the texture configurations. And finally, I tried creating the night textures from the daytime textures and renaming them to 'C172_T_night.dds' and 'C172_T_LM.dds' with no success.

Would I be correct to assume that the textures are put on from within either the mdl file or the air file? And that if a FSX model does not have a night texture, I will not be able to add one in? I could not find this specific answer in my Google searches.

If yes, then I welcome new ideas and suggestions on creating a night texture and modifying the configuration files for the FSX's default Cessna C172. Otherwise, it's starting to look like I'll need to start over with another FSX model that has existing night exterior texture -- something I'm trying to avoid if I can help it.

Thank you in advance!

Tom

Would I be correct to assume that the textures are put on from within either the mdl file or the air file?

The model file.

And that if a FSX model does not have a night texture, I will not be able to add one in?

That is correct, nothing you can do.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived