Best FS for Windows 10

erry01

Hi, I've been using FSX with Acceleration pack on Windows 7 for 5 years already.

I've had a quite good flying experience, the software crashes only a few times and I don't feel like wanting to change FS (I'm kinda used to pressing the same buttons and navigating through the same menus, etc, I can use it very well).

Now here's the thing: FSX is 10 years old, Microsoft is not going to update it anymore, and there are a lot of alternatives tfir flying virtually such as P3D or X-Plane.

I'm going to buy a new computer, with high specs, and Windows 10 Pro installed.

Since FSX is not supported anymore by Microsoft from Windows 8 on, and crashes more on new systems, I'm looking for a good substitute that has a great number of add-ons too: is P3D worth it? I know X-Plane is more professional and accurate in terms of Flight Simulation and aerodynamics, but there's lack of freeware and payware software such as airplanes, or scenery.

Any suggestion is appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Davide

Hi Davide,

WRT to the part of your statement quoted above - FSX can be run successfully on W8 and W10 with just as few crashes as you currently experience on your W7 system. In fact, a number of users report that FSX actually runs better for them under W10. It must be remembered that none of the newer products currently available were developed for W10 and you are also just as likely to have problems with other FS products as you are with FSX. This is because MS has 'coded' W10 is substantially different from W7/8.

Yes, there are some issues/problems associated with running FSX on W10 but many of them are easy to fix. In fact, many are actually the same types of problems that anybody who upgraded from XP to W7/W8/Vista experienced. As you will be doing a new install onto a new rig, it is likely that you will not encounter many problems other than a well documented DX10 Preview issue and possible an aircraft selection issue - both are easily fixed (by turning DX10 Preview off and switching to Windowed Mode respectively).

Search the forums on this site, using FSX and Win 10, and you will find a number of threads that detail the issues and fixes that may be encountered. Or go to the AVSim site, it has a dedicated FSX/Win10 section that also offers the same info. Also do a search of the P3D and X-Plane forums to get a feel as to the issues they have with W10.

It should be noted that some of your payware boxed addons may fail to load. This is not due to them being incompatible with W10 (if you have the download version of the same product it will work - I have purchased a download copy of one of the boxed items and it installed/works with no problems) but because MS removed the SECDRV DRM (Digital Rights Management) tool completely from the OS - on W7/8/Vista it is simply disabled by a Window Update but is still present and, therefore, there are several workarounds available to re-activate the DRM tool if using one of these OS. This problem is not limited to FSX addon products, it affects all products that used the SECDRV DRM tool, including many well known FPS/RPG games - BTW the use of SECDRV as a DRM tool by mainstream developers ceased by late 2010 so few products developed after this date should be affected.

FTR I am currently/have been running FSX w/accel with no problems, aside from the boxed payware issue mentioned above, on a W10 rig for the last 6 months.

Regards

Brian

First of all, thanks a lot for the detailed answer. I'm willing to use FSX on Windows 10, besides the reasons mentioned before, because I paid for it and it would be better not to pay any more money for other sims (since X-Plane and P3D cost a lot and the latter doesn't even have a demo version).

The computer on which I would install FSX has a 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i7 Haswell and Intel Iris Graphic Card. On the other computer (that has the same specs but runs w7) I have FSX running quite smooth with average graphic settings, but a bit crashy as well.

The main reason why I'm doubting if it's better to continue using FSX or not, is that it's quite an old program and I don't know if it's already time to quit using it, and start using e.g. P3D instead. Particularly, I need to know if PMDG aircraft and Aerosoft's A320 extended (the ones I use the most) will work on w10.

However, it's good to know that FSX runs okay on w10 too.

Thanks again,

Davide

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Archived