Bob Hoover challenge

Nik_Barbour

In between more serious flying, I thought you might enjoy a bit of a skills challenge.

Emulating the great Bob Hoover, within the confines of one runway length, using cross control, can you wheel tap one side of the gear, roll, and then wheel tap the opposite side?

Use your favourite sim and plane and give it a go. :)

Here's my attempt in a Corsair at Zurich.

Google Drive Video -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6PTQr6lCNNnM3BsdjkyQVRpanc/view?usp=drivesdk

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160731/1868c54c5f977e76a5b3f1686dd12ef6.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160731/88fac33d027f4fb8b9bdc8b131fbb179.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160731/b30a930736237d65549c19822f0326cf.jpg

His famous "Tennesee Waltz"! I've seen it many, many times at Reno, and got a kick every time. Once in an F-86, many times in his Shrike Commander, and his P-51 that Rockwell gave him. Beautiful to watch.

I probably won't have a video, but heck, I'll give it a try.

We shall see soon :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

His famous "Tennesee Waltz"! I've seen it many, many times at Reno, and got a kick every time. Once in an F-86, many times in his Shrike Commander, and his P-51 that Rockwell gave him. Beautiful to watch.

I probably won't have a video, but heck, I'll give it a try.

We shall see soon :D

Pat☺

I didn't know the name of the his manoeuvre. Thanks Phantom!

Glad I could help out!

Just for fun, try the maneuver he used to do in his P-51. He said it was in case the hydraulics failed, or if they needed a little "help" drawing the gear up. He would get it just off the ground (by a wing length :D ) and then flip it inverted and hit the gear lever to let it fall into the wells. Looked neat. After he righted the plane, of course, he immediately used to drop down into the dry lake-bed off the end of the runway. Left the crowd holding it's collective breath, waiting for the dust-cloud indicating his demise. Of course, a few minutes later he would come screaming in directly over the stands. He was going so fast, you only barely heard him until he was right over the stands. Crowds loved it.

Heck, I loved it :D Sadly, no plane may fly directly over or towords the crowd at US airshows anymore, although the Angels bend that rule in the airshow at El Centro...

Anyway, there ya go, looks good. Can you just hear the Tennessee Waltz playing as you do it? I can. I need more practise before pictures though :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Glad I could help out!

Just for fun, try the maneuver he used to do in his P-51. He said it was in case the hydraulics failed, or if they needed a little "help" drawing the gear up. He would get it just off the ground (by a wing length :D ) and then flip it inverted and hit the gear lever to let it fall into the wells. Looked neat. After he righted the plane, of course, he immediately used to drop down into the dry lake-bed off the end of the runway. Left the crowd holding it's collective breath, waiting for the dust-cloud indicating his demise. Of course, a few minutes later he would come screaming in directly over the stands. He was going so fast, you only barely heard him until he was right over the stands. Crowds loved it.

Heck, I loved it :D Sadly, no plane may fly directly over or towords the crowd at US airshows anymore, although the Angels bend that rule in the airshow at El Centro...

Anyway, there ya go, looks good. Can you just hear the Tennessee Waltz playing as you do it? I can. I need more practise before pictures though :D

Sounds amazing - I wish I could have seen his shows in person.

I'll give that gear drop manoeuvre a go. A few of the airfields just north of KHAF are elevated with surrounding low valleys, so switch to replay mode, change to tower cam and it might look similar to as you describe, although not quite as exciting as the real thing.

Thanks again Phantom - looking forwards to seeing your practiced 'Tennessee Waltz' if you get a chance.

Archived