*** B-29 DOC REPAINT FIX *** Must have

OK just figured out what was happening. This is very strange too and I've never seen this before.

For some reason this particular model is not reading the files in the DOC texture folder before any other file in fsx which all other models do in fact read the particular texture folder of each repaint first before reading default files from fsx directories.

SO, here's the way to fix this plus you can have better reflections for all aircraft that have polished surfaces.

=========================================

1) Download the new env maps below and put them somewhere safe. (Link below)

2) Go to your *Texture* folder inside your main FSX Directory. This is where the default textures are stowed along with any other addon textures like ORBX and other stuff.

3) Look for these two files: GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds -and- GlobalEnvTest.dds they are alphabetically listed in the folder.

4) Copy or Backup those files and put them in a safe place where you know they are.

5) Now Open the zip file you downloaded below and move those files into the texture folder over writing the originals which you should of backed up first.

Now you'll have new polish for all your planes that use the default original env maps. If you don't like them then you can always go back and replace them with the originals you backed up in the steps above.

DOWNLOAD link for New Env maps:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1na0h51e95dhdpx/ENV+Maps.zip

===========================================

This is the first time in all my repainting that I have seen this before. I have never seen an repaint ignore the files in the airplane texture folder by using the default textures first instead of using the airplane textures first and THEN falling back on any fsx default textures.

Since this has changed my repaint then the only other way around this that I know of is to use the methods above and replace the default Env maps which will then produce the shine like in the pics I've posted. You'll also have better shine for all your planes that are polished or use the default env maps. The new ones are a lot nicer.

Again, this is a surprise to me so just replace these two files with the two I have here and you'll have a realistic polish.

Some of the repaints I've created:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

You said any plane that..."

Do you mean a better polish on other planes then the virt - b29 as well? Because that sounds very tempting! I don't have much fsx time atm, but if there files do that I'll at least prioritise downloading them.

Congrats on getting it to work!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes and all of your planes will have better shine if the repaint itself has gloss. If it's military and has a flat finish then you'll still be fine. These won't effect those.

This is only because this model reads the main textures regardless which every other model I've ever painted or seen uses the files in the actual airplane repaint first thus displaying what the airplane was intended to look like from the painter then it reads other files from the default folder. So if your paint is dull then the repaint folder will have assignments in it or there might be a folder called Texture or Shared Texture or Common or something like that but it will be in the airplane folder and read those first so it will display it's paintwork from these folders correctly and then reach into fsx main for other files if needed.

This is also why I included these Env map files in the download so that it reads those first but It doesn't and then I realised it ignored those and read the default files first which are the ones that have the dull ugly env textures. See what I mean?

It's how Virtavia set up the model to work in fsx and also it's the first one I've seen to do this which it should of been modeled to read the repaint folder first and not the default stuff.

Any plane you have that has polish will have a nice shine now. But then that still depends on the painters work in how much alpha he uses to display the strength of the shine, that's what really matters. Remember the alpha's and specs really determine the actual outcome of how the plane works... these new env files just reflect a more realistic shine if the repaint needs it rather it be polish, gloss, metallic, or whatever it will look a lot better. Let me know what you think about them after you check out all your other aircraft too. I bet you'll like these a lot more and if not then you can always put the originals back in but then the DOC won't have the shine that it should either.

Some of the repaints I've created:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Thanks. I'll download, then look for changes later on.

I'll put them in the main texture folder, and maybe check simobjects for those filenames too for extra insurance.

I have the whole fsx folder backed up someplace, so reverting back won't be much of an issue.

Thanks for the files.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived