Win 7 64bit install problems

jandjfrench

Hi,

I just re-installed FS9 and had/have several problems. After installation nothing would happen when I tried to run it. A bit of Googling identified the problem as a recent windows update and recommended the "NoCD" file as a fix. It starts now and a quick check showed that any of the training videos would play for a brief time and then FS9 would crash. I haven't spent any time investigating but thought I'd ask here if this is a common problem and are there any other problems that I haven't identified yet and, if so, what are the fixes?

Jim F.

Hi JSK,

I forgot about the update The update seemed to go well and despite cautions about a modified FSX.exe all seemed to go well. No change with the video crashes. Rather than remove the Windows update I'm going to stick with NoCD. I'm assuming that you have no video problems. I'll wait awhile before investigating further.

Jim F.

After Jim Skorna's good advice, you should be good to go. All I had to do was to update video drivers, as, after my Windows 10 update, my graphics settings were all set to default, with minimal resolution settings to choose. Stick to the NoCD, & keep with the Windows updates that may/will happen normally on a Tuesday. (happens like that for me.)

Just a bit of advertising here, because it will change your FS2004 fun experience..

Have a look at http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/

Garry has really fun stuff there, factual & fictional, that includes sloping runways, ski-ramps & a huge range of scenery & skins.

Have fun,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

No change with the video crashes. I'm assuming that you have no video problems.

Jim F.

As far as I know everyone has problems. I haven't looked into it apart from a quick google when I first installed Win 7 and found the videos crashed the sim. I had no need for them so never looked into it any further. Apart from the videos, just be aware of how to install regarding the FS location and UAC settings. Adding scenery to the library in Win 7 needs a little trick, just google, but most everything else I can think of from the top of my head works really well with Win 7.

Mark Daniels

Hi,

Before giving up on it I switched my default browser from Chrome to IE. The videos played just long enough for me to think that was the problem before the crash. If I ever think I'll find something beneficial in them I found then in the FSWeb folder and these play fine. I'd still like some affirmation as under what conditions other than Win XP they will play without problems. I hate to just sweep things under the rug.

Jim F.

Archived