Traffic vanished, but not for an ordinary cause

Hi all! I came here posting this because I didn't find any post related to my issue, otherwise I would have solved this problem long ago... The deal is the following:

As no one may know, I love retro AI traffic, having trijets all over the world within one square kilometer makes me feel so happy :) and the only efficient way I found to get such AI planes into my FSX world was by creating/compiling flightplans, getting timetables, getting repaints, making repaints, everything with the old fashioned way of manual work, on my own. Almost everything runs fine know, except for one small problem...

- When I spawn at a gate at almost all airports, AI traffic always crowds the ramps and skies on and above the airport. However, for some reason, traffic is not showing up at Toronto Pearson Intl (CYYZ), neither on the ground nor at the sky above. That is, of course, main airline traffic (a few GA traffic shows up).

- What is even weirder is that, after a few minutes on the ground (running 4x speed), traffic will eventually show up and land at Toronto :confused: and I think to myself, what the heck is going on?

Can someone that really knows how to work with AI tell me what steps should be taken, or what is the issue that is really causing this? It's getting annoying...

PS:

No it's not a problem related to airport parking, I use Ray Smith's Toronto airport, there's plenty of room.

No, it has nothing to do with FS9/FSX .bgl files coexisting in the scenery folder.

No, I don't have any paints missing nor is it a problem related to the flightplans themselves. I started having this issue a few months ago, and I had canadian airlines all around the airport before this started happening.

Things I did in the past few months: 1)Installed more traffic 2)Installed more aircraft 3)Installed a few effects and gauges (bloom effects too) 4)Tweaked the fsx.cfg a bit (disablepreload=1, STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647), but I removed them trying to fix this problem.

A few screenshots:

no traffic at cyyz.jpgtraffic at klax.jpgtraffic at klax2.jpg

I think I remember something about airports only showing up at a gate if that gate is connected to the runway correctly.

I also remember landing in Canade (could well have been Toronto) and there was a Cessna sitting at the start of the runway. I did a go-around (not sure if I was told to), and when I flew the pattern I kept an eye on the Cessna and it stayed put.

It was still there when I came in the second time around. When I was at 400 feet it vanished, and I was able to land. I taxied to parking and went to have a snack. When I came back and taxied to the (same) runway again, there was again, a yellow default Cessna sitting there blocking the runway for an eternity.

That could mean other planes don't show, as they can't depart. And it would explain why planes that land can taxi to the gate, as they use a different taxiway route to the gate, then the departing planes would use to the runway.

Again, not sure it was Toronto, but whatever it was I tried getting a addon for it and failed. THe ones I found were for fs2004 and had issues that at the time I didn't know how to fix. (I may have better luck now, know a bit more about this stuff).

They had flashing ground textures, or very few buildings.

If I'd run into the issue again I would create my own ADE version of it instead.

Anyway, your problem.

A suggestion, switch the wind direction and try again.

With a different wind direction a different runway will be active (I think there are two there, no?)

The parking spots may be better connected to the other runway. (better route from gate to runway takeoff spot.)

Edit: Nope, what I landed at was Montreal 06.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

il88p sorry, I tried changing the winds (240 @ 8, runways active 5L and 5R) and the total AI traffic present in the area was a C208 and a C172 :( I really don't know what happened in the past few months for this to happen... I didn't want to reinstall FSX at all because it has a level of development and tweaking that negates the advantages of reinstalling...

Ok, I've reinstalled FSX, twice, and I finally have traffic at Toronto. I am now going to figure out what the cause for this problem was, probably either the FSX.cfg, or addon scenery (very less likely), addon aircraft or registry issues (now cleaned). I have also cleaned up the whole computer of junk files, and run a thorough defragmentation process, the last whole night, to speed up FSX.

EDIT: Success!

1) I figured out that a FS9 traffic.bgl file (not pure scenery) was the cause of the problem.

2) I also managed to reach the conclusion that if an FS9 traffic file is placed in the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder, it does not "erase" FSX traffic files from the Scenery\World\Scenery folder, HOWEVER, it does affect the visualization of aircraft on ground in airports in the area the problematic file is effective. (in this case, KCGX and area around northeast Canada and Northeast US)

3) Therefore, not only was Toronto affected, but also airports like KORD or KBOS.

Archived