Start-up problems - Missing default aircraft

baslar

Hi all,

I foolishly deleted a folder called Aircraft within the main Aircraft folder thinking it was an un-necessary duplication. This now caused my FSX to give an error message "missing Air Creation aircraft", the microlight. To make matters worse at the same time I deleted it from the Bin, so presumably now gone for ever.

How can I retrieve the situation? Thanks Baslar

Here is my folder with all of the original aircraft that were in Microsoft flight simulator that you need to have been to make a lot of other aircraft work hope this will help you out.

How can I retrieve the situation?

Put your install disc in and run a repair.

If you have Acceleration (or SP2 I think) installed you will have to uninstall them first, run the repair, then reinstall.

When you are done, make a copy of your full FSX install somewhere safe, for the next time you get happy with the Delete button. :)

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi baslar,

If System protection is turned on for the drive FSX is on a System Restore to a point prior to when you deleted the folders would most likely be the best solution. And if it doesn't work it's completely reversible. There is only a limited amount of space reserved, so in this or a similar situation System Restore should always be your first choice.

Jim F.

I rather gather now that it is not just the default aircraft that were affected yet I have since found several folders called Aircraft within the game. Doesn't look good right now.

Baslar

I rather gather now that it is not just the default aircraft that were affected yet I have since found several folders called Aircraft within the game. Doesn't look good right now..................

Baslar,

I think there may be some confusion here. Are you sure that the folder you deleted was called Aircraft and that there are multiple copies of folders called Aircraft within FSX. What I suspect you deleted and are seeing multiple copies of is actually a file called aircraft.cfg. Every individual aircraft/helo model has a file called aircraft.cfg located within its folder - if this file is missing the aircraft cannot be loaded. Likewise other objects used in the sim, AI boats for example, have a simiiar file called sim.cfg - again if this missing the object cannot be loaded.

In a default install there should be no folders called Aircraft, either at the root FSX level - i.e. C:\ FSX\Aircraft for example - substitute C:\FSX for your install location. What there should be is C:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes (and also at this level folders called Animals, Boats, GroundVehicles, Misc, Rotorcraft). These folders contain the individual folders/files for not only the FSX default objects but also any addons that you may have installed/added. So, for example, for the default Air Creation trike you should see an a folder called Aircreation_582SL within the Simobjects\Airplane folder.

Check the contents of your SimObjects folder and see if it contains an Airplanes folder. If it does check to see if the Aircreation folder is present. If so check to and see if a aircraft.cfg file is present. I would also check the content so any other folders for missing .cfg files.

If .cfg files are missing do the following:

For default Aircraft - run a repair as suggested by StringBean.

For any freeware addons - unzip/install the aircraft to a temp location and then copy the aircraft.cfg file into the appropriate folder within FSX

For any payware addons - delete and then re-install. It may be possible with some payware to follow the path described for freeware.

Or follow Jim f's advice and use the Windows Restore function - google it to get instructions. Note that if you use restore you will need to select a restore point that was created before you deleted the file. You will also lose any updates to any programs that made changes to system files and/or the registry since the restore point was created. Window updates (WU) is one example but other programs such as AV suites may also be affected - in the case of WU simply run a manual update or wait until the next auto update - in the cause of the AV suite run a manual update.

You could also use the entries for the default aircraft from someone else (like bobr2) - in this instance I suggest that you contact bobr2 via PM and provide him with a email address so that he can send them to you - AFAIK you can't post such files directly onto the forum nor can you use the website PM function to send them.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for all that.

Confusion sure reigns here. Aircraft/Airplanes. Yes I do have several folders called Aircraft and within those some called Airplanes. The situation is worse than I thought and I have to be careful to remove the right ones. I really cannot understand how it has got like this and still run well until this occurred. From past experience I suspect it is add-ons and auto installer inconsistencies to blame, plus my trust in them. My friend says to start again from scratch. That's ok if you don't have many add-on's which I had. I had thought of simply reinstalling those listed that now have a question mark over them. On the other hand I have found a file which may contain them all. That depends on whether the registry entries are intact, etc, etc, etc.

Cheers, Barrie

I could send you all the files you need.

I won't, because the fsx files are protected by copyright.

Another reason is that even though I keep my PC clean, I could accidentally send you a virus.

Actually, you don't know me. I could be evil, and send you a virus attaced to the files on purpose.

So let's avoid all that.

There is a simple solution for your issue. Actually, there are many.

---------------------------------------------------------

option 1:

Install, Only FSX DeLuxe, on a second PC. Some freinds pc, or maybe you have an old pc laying around.

Don't activate it. (That may undo the activation of your current install.)

Just get the files you need from there.

Then uninstall it from that pc again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

option 2:

If you have no idea which files you need, and you have deleted a lot, then option 2 is better. It's been mentioned before, a "Repair".

-Find out which version of fsx you have installed. Is it:

DeLuxe,

DeLuxe +SP1

DeLuxe +SP1 +SP2

or DeLuxe +Acceleration.

If it is DeLuxe or DeLuxe +SP1:

Simply pop in the FSX DeLuxe disk. It should start automatically, if it doesn't, browse to the disk and run the: setup.exe file.

A window will pop up asking you wheter you want to do a repair, or uninstall.

Choose: Repair.

It will put back all the default files. Your addon stuff is not affected by this.

The repair operation looks just like a install operation, and takes some time. Just let it run.

Afterwards, take out the disk, reboot the computer.

done.

-------------------------------

If it is DeLuxe +SP1 +SP2

or DeLuxe +Acceleration.

Go to: Add remove programs, you will see FSX in the list.

Uninstall it. Once.

Don't worry, clicking uninstall once only uninstalls SP2 or Acceleration.

Afterwards you will still see fsx in the Add-Remove Programs list.

Leave it like that.

Now you only have DeLuxe installed.

From there do the repair. Using the CD. Same as explained before.

Then reboot,

and afterwards install your SP2 or your Acceleration update again.

done.

----------

Easy enough, doesn't take a lot of time, and sure beats getting the files from an untrusted source.

It's probably quicker for you then trying to fix it while you don't know what files are missing.

-------------------

----------------

The "Aircraft" folders, and by that I mean folders named "Aircraft"are from addon planes.

Don't worry about those, they are probably not even showing up in your fsx at the moment.

Leave them where they are!!

They may be needed. We can help you figure that mess out, one folder at the time, but you will really have to tell us a little more then just what the folder's name is.

We will need the path to each folder.

(for example: C\FSX\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Simobjects\Airplanes\aircraft )

and also what exactly is in a folder. Maybe a screenshot helps too.

One folder at a time. Do Not post them all at once, or trying to get things straight will be impossible.

Fix that later. For now, just run the repair install. That will repair any default files, and it will add back anything default that is missing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived