Iris A7 Corsair Launch Assist

usb777

Been trying out the acceleration aircraft carriers and I added the launch assist the the Iris A7 but doesn't work. Any suggestions? I have added the launch bar to other aircraft with no trouble. Now it's a puzzle.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Did you try it without adding the launch assist section tto the aircraft.cfg? If the MDL file has the launchbar etc built in, and you add it in the aircraft.cfg it can get screwed up and not work at all.

I found that out on the FSDT Hornet v12.1

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If the default FSX carrier jets and the addon ones work fine, the Iris A7 must be at fault in some way.

For the record (and in case newcomers stumble into this thread), here's a post I did a while back about how to catapult-

CATAPULT

Press ALT to bring up the menu bar at the top of the screen, then go to Options> Settings> Controls> Buttons/keys> Systems and scroll down to check that your key assignments are there. If they're not, assign them yourself.

This pic shows two of the ones you want. The other one is 'Launch bar (extend/retract)', scroll up a bit to get it.

And for good measure check your Tail hook SHIFT-Q is there too because you might need it for landing..;)-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier-launch_zpsn1si5jnj.jpg~original

Here are the official instructions from the Carrier Tutorial-

Taxi to catapult at bow.

Lower launch bar SHIFT-U.

When the nose gear and launch bar are over the red and white striped square at the near end of the catapult, press SHIFT-I to attach to the catapult shuttle.

Throttle up, then Launch with SHIFT-Space

Let's go downtown! I took these pics of my default FSX Hornet on the default moving carrier off Los Angeles-

1- hit SHIFT-U to drop the launch bar anywhere on the deck (it pivots down from the nosegear leg)-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier1_zpsu6sy8som.jpg~original

2- taxi to put your nosewheel in the red square (doesn't have to be exactly in the middle) and hit SHIFT-I to lock into the end of the catapult-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier2_zpsyqdirisf.jpg~original

3- Add some flaps, slam open the throttle to maximum (the afterburners should come on), then hit SHIFT-Spacebar and you're away..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier3_zpso4gggbmx.jpg~original

I believe it to be in the Iris A7, I have tried and checked everything described. Another mystery.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Don't forget that, given you DO have to add the Launch Assistance section to the aircraft.cfg (did you try it without that being added?), the position of the launch bar on the nose gear must be correct. It should be about 1/2 way down the nosegear.

IE: Given, for example, the entry for the nose gear in the Contact Points section is -19.037, 0.000, -7.000,, then in the Launch Assist section the line launch_bar_pivot = 5.0, 0.0, -1.0 vertical position entry (the 3rd number of the 3) needs to be ABOUT -3.5. Just leaving it -1.0 it may well not work.

And the other line, launch_bar_lug = 5.0, 0.0, -4.5 should roughly match the entry for the nose gear, -19.37, 0.00, -7.00 in tyhis case. If the A7's nosegear position is much different than the plane where you got the Launch Assist entries, then it won't function.

It's like the TailHok section. The length and position have to be set for the particular aircraft you want to use, not the one you copied it from, or wherever you got it.

Hope maybe that's some help...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Been trying different things. Here are the numbers for the Iris Ai

[contact_points]

point.0=1, -21.00, 0.00, -7.50, 2000.1, 0, 0.6349, 46.8, 0.8000, 1.5, 0.5100, 4.0, 4.0, 0, 260.0, 260.0

point.1=1, -42.00, -5.75, -6.80, 1574.8, 1, 0.6349, 0.0, 0.7798, 1.5, 0.5456, 4.0, 4.0, 2, 260.0, 260.0

point.2=1, -42.00, 5.75, -6.80, 1574.8, 2, 0.6349, 0.0, 0.7798, 1.5, 0.5456, 4.0, 4.0, 3, 260.0, 260.0

point.3=2, -44.00, -35.00, 2.00, 1500.4, 0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0, 5, 0.0, 0.0

point.4=2, -44.00, 35.00, 2.00, 1500.4, 0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0, 6, 0.0, 0.0

point.5=2, -65.50, 0.00, -0.50, 1500.4, 0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0, 9, 0.0, 0.0

point.6=2, -14.00, 0.00, -1.50, 1500.4, 0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0000, 0.0, 0.0, 4, 0.0, 0.0

point.7=5.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 3.0, 3.0, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000

[launch_assistance]

launch_bar_pivot = 17.6, 0.0, -3.27 //was 15.4, 0.0, -2.17

launch_bar_lug = 18.0, 0.0, -3.33 //was 15.8, 0.0, -2.23

Any suggestions?

Mike G.

Right off the bat, looking at Point.0 whch appears to be the nose gear, I would change the third number in the Launch_bar_lug to about -7.00 or -7.50. As a starting point. That way it's about as low as the nose gear, so it can engage the shuttle. Maybe more, maybe less. Try -7.50 first, if no, try -7.0, if that's not it, try -7.90. Also you can try moving the pivot point down to -3.5, or something close.

All this applies to the third number after the = sign.

Also, I would, it were me, change the FIRST number after the = sign in both Launch Assist lines to -21.0 to match the nose gear. Maybe keep the 0.4 difference, ie the Pivot point to -21.0, the lug to -19.6, you see? That way the pivot is on the nose gear, but 1/2 way down the strut, about where it belongs, and the lug is touching the deck, out in front of the gear, again, about where it belongs.

All this is a trial and error method. And remember, SAVE the original, unchanged aircraft.cfg file, before you make ANY changes. Only change ONE number at a time, save the file, reload the aircraft, try it out, make another change, save, reload, test, etc. It can take some time.

Just to be certain, you DID try it without the launch assist section added at all, yes? Just making sure.

If this is a freeware airplane, I will install it and see what I can find out, if you like...

Just let me know the zipfile name and where I can DL it...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried it without. I am going to give your numbers a go. I was wondering as well if there might be something in the air file. Just a thought.

Mike G.

OK! I changed the first number to -21 both the lug and the pivot and the third number both to -7.50 any it worked! Thank you so much learned something new as well.

Mike G.

Now that we have solved that how about when I land catch the wire but the the aircraft noses over and bounces off the deck. Something to do with the tail hook but what?

here's what I have so far:

[TailHook]

tailhook_length=7 ;(feet)

tailhook_position=-15.0, 0.0, -0.75 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum

cable_force_adjust=0.9

[launch_assistance]

launch_bar_pivot = -21.6, 0.0, -7.27 //was 15.4, 0.0, -2.17

launch_bar_lug = -21.0, 0.0, -7.33 //was 15.8, 0.0, -2.23

Mike G.

This is the Iris freeware. From my numbers I have the launch working but now the tail hoo. When I catch the wire the aircraft flips off the carrier and continues to spin all over the place. How do I correct this?

Mike G.

Yaay! Glad you got the launch bar working :D

Ok, for the tailhook. Notice the contact point furthest aft appears to be #5, at -65. That seems a little bit far, to me, but it may be right. You can verify it by putting a light at that position.

Here we go! Look at the [lights] section in the aircraft.cfg. See if there is an entry something like this: light.7 = 6, -18.40, 0.00, -2.35, fx_navwhi,

Of course, the number of the light, the light.7 entry, may well be different. Simply copy the whole line containing a fx_navwhi effect (thats what the FX means, effect, and the navwhi is the kind of effect) to the end of the [lights] section, and change the number I showed in red to one higher than the last light number in the [lights] section. So if the last number shown is light.10, for example, make the line you add in light.11

NOW, after the = sign, there are 4 numbers. Ignore the first one. Change the next 3 to match contact point #5. IE: make them -65.50, 0.00, -0.50,. Trust me, all this has to do with the tailhook eventually! :)

NOW then, load the aircraft in, and change the time of day to night so you can see the light you added easily. Verify it is about the aftmost point of the aircraft. IE: the plane should have a light on it's butt, even with the middle of the fuselage, centered laterally and vertically on it.

If it is, great, we now know where we need to put the tailhook. If not, well, we will work an that situation if we have to. For now, let's presume it IS the aft end of the fuselage, hoping to make life easier.

Presuming contact point #5 IS the aftmost point of the fuselage, as shown by the light (or at least real close anyway), then change your tailhook_position numbers to match up, IE -65.50, 0.00, -0.50,.

That, with the other two entries as they are, should stop the spinning off the deck. What's happened is, if the NOSEGEAR is at -21.0 (longitudinal position number) and the tailhook is at -15.0, then it's out IN FRONT of the nosegear! No wonder you go spinning off into the briney deep :)

If contact point #5 in NOT the aftmost point of the fuselage, we will have to locate it by moving the light entry we added around till we find it, then make the tailhook match up. Let's hope it's right, though...

Let me know what happens!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow! I just woke up but will get to this today. I alco have the aircraft separately set up with the COP guage and of course does the same thing and with that setup I need to make sure the tail hook is set between 60%-70% I 'm sure from reading you know a lot about that one to. Thank you again. I recently found and down loaded the RFN carrier gauge and having great fun flying all my Navy aircraft.

Mike G.

Sir, PhantomTweak, I would like to buy you a drink!! the light section I used:

light.12= 3, -50.00, 0.00, -5.70, fx_navwhi

the tail hook numbers for COP worked here:

[TailHook]

tailhook_length=7

tailhook_position=-57.0, 0.0, 0.55

cable_force_adjust=0.9

Tried the Acceleration with the light numbers and a little tight. Trapped but then stilled went off the end of the carrier. COP works great, acceleration launch works great now just fine tune Acceleration trap. Two more questions if I may. How does the cable force adjustment come in to play? On the acceleration the aircraft really leaps and a bounce or to upon release, how do we smooth that out?

Mike G.

Changed the acceleration tail hook numbers to match the numbers I am using for the COP and the aircraft stops just in time! Acceleration Carrier for the Iris A7:

[TailHook]

tailhook_length=7

tailhook_position=-57.0, 0.0, 0.55

cable_force_adjust=0.9

[launch_assistance]

launch_bar_pivot = -21.6, 0.0, -7.27

launch_bar_lug = -21.0, 0.0, -7.33

Mike G.

I was having some trouble with the Iris F4 landing and hitting the trap zone. Problem solved there as well!! Thank you PhantomTweak

Mike G.

Glad I could be a little help :D

Just so you know, the cable force will pretty much make it stop the plane harder or less hard. IE: if at 1.0 you stop dead upon catching the cable, then at, just for example, 0.5, you will run cable out to the end of the deck. As you know, ever time a plane traps, they have to set the tension on the cables, and the rate at which it slows down the plane. Like an adjustable shock absorber, really. So, changing the Cable_force sets the shock absorber for that particular aircraft.

NOW: if the plane tends to veer to one side or the other when you trap off centerline, change the longitude number, the first number after the equals sign, to a larger value. In your case it's a-57, roughly, yes? If it cause the plane to veer off to one side or the other, OR tend to tip over, nose dive, or any other weird thing it shouldn't do, then move it farther back, say to a -60. If it's still a problem, move it to a -63 or so...see?

Just a little trick I found of the FSDev website :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for all the info. One more thing though on the launch. The numbers I use work but it wants to kind of throw the aircraft up at an angle instead of first rolling towards the bow. I noticed a couple of my other aircraft seem to roll to much almost not enough force in the catapult.

Mike G.

Do you know where to find your FSX.CFG file?

Open it in Notepad or notepad++, after making the usual backup, and scan down through it till you find the section [REALISM], and add the line CatapultForceLimiter=0 //Enables the catapult systems to generate the required force for any type of aircraft.

That should solve the launch problems :D

Hope it does, anyway .

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...
Coming back to all this I have been very successful but now have another question. Some aircraft need to be placed back farther towards the blast shield to engage the system. I have played around with the numbers but nothing helps get it to start closer to the launch lug. Any suggestions?

Mike G.

There's a trick you can use, if it doesn't have the [launch_assist] section in the aircraft.cfg. That means that the info for it is integral to the MDL file, so can only be changed by the person that developed it. Having said that, you can move the entire launch assy forward, by moving the nosegear in the contact points forward. You can't move it a lot, but if it's roughly a foot or less, it might work. I think.

Hope that helps out :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It has the [Launch_assist] It is an Abacus F-18 go I am playing with.

Mike G.

Another Question. Aircraft launches fine and level but sinks into the deck as it takes off. Is there an adjustment for this?

Mike G.

Archived