Help Needed Practising Speaking to Air Traffic Control Services

Hello there. I’m looking for help from experienced Flt Simmers/Real World pilots on speaking to air traffic control services. I have recently returned to the Flt Sim world using FSX Steam edition, after an absence of 10 years and would like to practice real world type communications with Air Traffic Control Services by flying a VFR trip from Wellesbourne (Mountford), Warwickshire (EGBW) up to Doncaster Sheffield (EGCN) and then back to Wellesbourne. The issue I have is that this route would appear to have several ATC authorities (Birmingham ATC, Coventry airport, E Midlands CTA, Daventry CTA, Derby etc) all covering parts of this route and I find it difficult to work out from the aeronautical chart who I would need to communicate with after leaving Wellesbourne (information service only) and in what order. If, for example, I flew this route at 3,500 ft which of these services in real life would I speak to first after leaving Wellesbourne and then subsequently and in what order? Would appreciate any guidance you could offer me on this. Thanks. Ken.

I was hoping someone with VFR experience in the UK would jump in. All my experience has been IFR.

You can get the AIP from the following website: http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php.html

Part 2 has information on VFR.

I also understand that EUROCONTROL has a form of VFR flight following called Flight Information Service. However, considering that Eurocontrol is going to charge user fees for everything they provide, you might not want this service.

You might be able to plot a route that keeps you out of some airspace, but if memory serves me there is no uncontrolled airspace in the UK.

You might be better served just talking to some pilot's at your local aerodrome. Since you say it has been 10 years, I assume you are non-current. I'd tie in this discussion with your Instructor Pilot on a currency ride.

Maybe the guys at VATUK or IVAO-UK can help some, but they rarely control VFR... Besides if you are looking for real world information I'd stick with real world sources.

Archived