comparison ?

mitchb

what is different between the free download of an aircraft and payware version ?

One you pay for, one you do not.

Typically payware are of a better quality than freeware.

is it possible to remove an aircraft from fs9. I tried it and the sim refused to load until I restored the plane

Most of the time you can simply delete the folder and the plane is gone.

If the airplane was added with an installer you would want to run the uninstaller.

I have never heard of the sim not loading because of a missing airplane.

What all did you remove?

If you remove the plane that is called for in your default flight you will get an aircraft initialization failure warning yet after clicking on the OK the sim should still start with the default C172.

Unless that is one of the planes you deleted.

You should avoid deleting default planes.

peace,

the Bean

After testing in Win 8 it appears that you are correct, if the plane that is called for in the default flight is missing the sim will not start. This behavior is different than it was in older versions on Windows.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote: '...sim should still start with the default C172..'

OP asked about FS9 not starting (not FSX) so it would be the C-182? (Gotcha - hehe)

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Quote: '...sim should still start with the default C172..'

OP asked about FS9 not starting (not FSX) so it would be the C-182? (Gotcha - hehe)

Chuck B

Napamule

Nice try, Chuck.

You are wrong, however.

If the user defined default flight calls for a non-existent plane FS9 will revert to the original default flight which is ...\FS9\Flights\other\fltsim.flt.

Opening that file in Notepad I see...

[Plane]

Aircraft=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP

It appears now that in Win8 FS9 will not even start if the default flight plane is missing.

In older versions of Windows FS9 would revert to the original default flight.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

You are right. Sorry. My bad.

I saved my default flight (FS9 cfg, 'situation=xxx) using the C-182. There is where I got mixed up. It SHOULD of been with the C-172. (And (now I remember) the reason I did not. It is because I HATE that brown and gold paint- HATE it - yuk! (ha)).

In FSX I DID save my default flight (FSX cfg, 'situation=xxx) using the C-172. (N..i..c..e paint.. ). I hope it wasn't supposed to be the C-182 (because there is NO C-182 in FSX - Ha!!). Oh well, I learned something new (how stupid...) today.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

what is different between the free download of an aircraft and payware version ?..

Like Stringbean said, payware is usually better, BUT remember there are some really excellent freewares around, so give them a try first before shelling out cash for payware.

If you don't like a freeware for any reason, simply delete it and try another, I do it all the time and have got a few dozen excellent freeware planes in FSX.

PS- I fly in external view most of the time so my first priority is that the plane must look good texture-wise from the outside, I'm not really concerned about whether its got a good cockpit because I rarely go in there anyway, but other people might have different priorities, whatever floats your boat..:)

I agree with SBK. Everyone has their own priority for planes' features. Me, I want the plane to fly as realistically as possible, with a good VC and/or 2D cockpit. How it LOOKS outside isn't my top priority. SBK is opposite. Doesn't mean he's wrong, or I'm wrong, we just have different desires when it comes to our planes.

Overall, yes payware tends to be netter quality. Overall. And yes there are a number of freeware planes of payware quality. Milton Shupe, "Jimi" Hendircks, the famous Dino Cattaneo, and many others make great quality aircraft, whether you prefer looks, FDE, whatever trips you airplane trigger :)

Generally, getting rid of a plane is as previously stated. Just delete it from the Aircraft folder. Or move it someplace else, if you thing you might want it later. Planes with installers tend have Uninstallrs which should be used, although I have simply deleted them from my sim(s) folders with few problems, other than a useless uninstaller sitting someplace.

Hope all that helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Well, the RIGHT thing would be to have a COMPLETE airplane. Even the 3 modelers that you mentioned would put out different FDEs, different engines, different geometry, different flaps, different air file, and thus different 'characteristics', for the SAME model. How is that possible? Put that in your VC and smoke it. It's: 'My Way or The Highway' and if you don't like it 'Delete It'. How can you praise that? I can't.

Chuck B

Napamule

About uninstallers. Installers of fs aircraft or airport freeware are often just self extracting files. Sometimes they also add a somewhat pointless start menu entry and are in add-remove programs.

What I do is create an empty folder on the desktop and install in there. (folder xxx)

Then I copy the folder (folder xxx ) with the extracted files in it, to the desktop as (xxx-copy).

Then in folder xxx I use the uninstaller to remove all traces of the install process (or I use add-remove programs).

In (xxx-copy) I still have the files, the uninstall file in there I delete.

Then I manually install the files into fsx.

If I don't do the uninstall right away like that it goes wrong, because later the folder gets moved to storage and then later the uninstaller wouldn't work.

Btw, don't do this when installing programs, exe files, or payware aircraft. Point those installers as instructed and not to a desktop folder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A side note on 'default' loading of C-172 if you try to load a non-existing (or bad panel or air file name)...you wind up at the South Pole, in the water, and at night (dark screen) and with zero fuel. So when I first load FSX Acccel I go to World/Go to Airport and choose whatever airport, and runway, I am presently at. That way when I wind up 'in the drink' I can quickly go to World/Go to Airport and it's already loaded so I just click 'ok' and I am back. Add fuel. Then GO.

As for ALL downloads, I point to 'X_Temp for Installs' folder I created years ago. I never put anything on my desktop. Then I make a folder for that particular model and extract to that. If anything goes wrong I can fix it as it is contained to 'X_Temp for Installs' folder. If there is a Start shortcut to uninstaller, or entry in Add or Remove Programs, I just delete the shortcut or click 'Remove' and I am done. All the files will still be in 'X_Temp for Installs' folder (maybe uninstaller can't find them in default path?).

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Oh, I have an 'Aircraft' and an 'SimObjects' folder under 'X_Temp for Installs' folder, just in case the installer looks for those folders. Why fight it.

X_Temp for Installs Folder.jpg

Archived