FS2004 - UK Scenery

Hi Guys,

An old but still relatively new FS enthusiast here. I managed to get a copy of FS2004 a while ago now and have been slowly working my way through it and I must admit I am quite enjoying it even without fully understanding it. I did have a small problem when loading it originally with Disk 4 (it stated I was running out of space when I still had some 180GB free from a 300GB hard dive). I carried on and updated to 9.1 and changed the exe file as recommended on the fltsim.com website and it seems to load ok with just an error message when I go into it stating ‘Scenery read error. Attempting to open a nonexistent directory:. Click ok to continue’ - I click ok and it carries on and appears to load ok.

I have not attempted to change any settings etc from the standard default ones the game set itself when I first loaded it other than the display setting which I changed to 1680x1050x32 and it accepted it and again seems to work ok. Now believing I have mastered the basics (which might be wishful thinking! !) I thought to myself it might look better with a bit of extra scenery and I obtained Just Flight VFR photographic scenery (2002/2004) Vol 1 to 4 for the UK and loaded up Vol 1 which ran though the installation process without throwing up any error messages. It created a new directory in the scenery directory of FS2004 - JFVFR1 with what appears to be the appropriate files.

I then thought I would give it ago before loading Vols 2 to 4 and selected a VFR flight from the appropriate part of the UK for Vol 1 but the scenery on the game is exactly the same as it was before I loaded Vol 1.

Now my system, like myself, is an old one:-

A Windows Vista Dell Inspirion 530 with Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4700 @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz – Memory (RAM) 3.24GB – 32 Bit Operating System

Hard drive – C: 181GB free of 288GB - Recovery (D:) 4.95GB free of 9.99GB

Graphics Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (driver date 11/02/2008 version 7.14.10.1437).

Joystick – Logitech Wingman Force 3D

I was going to use the sledgehammer to crack a nut so to speak and bin everything (FS 2004 and JF Vol 1) and start again but my question really is am I asking to much from an old machine that really could do with an upgrade or better still a new PC. When you get to my age you sometimes think is it worth it (only joking ! !).

John B.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Added an ATI Radeon HD 4650 1024Mb card to my system and managed to get it to work after a few attempts. It does make picture crisper but no real change to the scenery. I suspect I still do not have FS2004 and Just Flight VFR Photographic Scenery loaded correctly. Will try and work around it and see if I can get it to work as expected before deleting FS2004 and reinstalling it and Just Flight scenery.

Ta

John B.

Hi Mike,

Added it to scenery library manually and all working fine now - thank you - saved me deleting and starting again. First thoughts are it makes a big difference, certainly much better than the default scenery. Will load the others now - thanks again.

John B.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit the bullet so to speak and went on ebay and I have just won a bid for a copy of FSX Deluxe version. Should have it next week. Will have a go at loading it and see what happens - wish me luck ! ! !

p.s. I am thinking is it better to delete all of FS2004 first and then load FSX - will have a look though the forums and see what others advise.

John B.

p.s. I am thinking is it better to delete all of FS2004 first and then load FSX - will have a look though the forums and see what others advise.

No need to do that, unless HD space is a problem. I have FS9 and FSX both loaded and operational on my D:\ drive with no trouble at all.

Bit the bullet so to speak and went on ebay and I have just won a bid for a copy of FSX Deluxe version.

Probably too late for this, but you know the FSX-SE is probably a much less expensive way to get FSX on your system. The Steam Edition of FSX is usually $25.00, and E-Bay is usually much more expensive.

I also seem to notice that FSX-SE is stable and very good at not getting Out Of Memory, BSOD's etc. At least on my system. I've had SE since it came out, and have a total of 1 whole BSOD, no out of memory errors, or any other error.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider, maybe, no? :)

I get them so rarely, and they usually die of lonliness pretty fast...

Thoughts, that is :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your replay - I will keep my FS2004 and load FSX as normal. I did think about the steam edition but the one I got on ebay was only £8.00 with £1.50 postage so not too bad (no else bid on it and got it with one bid ! !).

Thanks again,

John B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Got my FSX up and running now and I am really happy with it. Going to tweak it so to speak and see where it takes me. I will finish this post now as I will obviously be concentrating on FSX for the moment. Treated myself to a new Thrustmaster Hotas X and it has made a difference to my level of control ! !

Thanks to all those who read and answered - it is much appreciated.

Happy SimFlying

John B.

p.s. I did load FSX alongside FS2004 and they both work fine.

Archived