How Do I Stop MS from Attemps to Load Win 10 On My PC

casey jones

I was in the middle of a flight yesterday (FS9) when suddenly my PC shut down and then MS Windows 10 notice

came up and began DL it on my PC. I attemped shut the MS Windows 10 DL down but MS locked me out of my

PC the only thing I could do was pull the main power from my PC this stopped MS from going any further, this

morning MS tried to DL windows 10 again and again MS locked me out of my PC so I pulled the main power and

MS has not any further effort to place Windows 10 on my PC I now have to keep a close watch on my pc so if

there are anymore attemps by MS I will pull the power. I do not want Windows 10 EVER. My Windows 7 is fine.

Thank You All And Cheers

Casey

Windows 7 only, uninstall KB3035583. Restart, then go to Windows Update check for updates, put a check mark next to this update, right click, Hide update. There are a couple more but they seem to be harmless KB295664 and KB3021917.

Most importantly change your system Windows update setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." Periodically check that it has not changed on it's own back to automatic.

Look over the details about updates before installing. I'm sure Microsoft will change the numbers and try to force Windows10 into our machines.

I have downloaded the GWX control panel but have not used it.

"Microsoft has also received criticism for using deceptive user interfaces to coax users into installing the operating system, downloading installation files without user consent, and making it difficult for users to suppress the advertising and notifications if they do not wish to upgrade to 10. As of January 2016, Microsoft has not yet provided any official method to suppress GWX notifications or prompts regarding Windows 10."

"In September 2015, it was reported that Microsoft was triggering automatic downloads of the Windows 10 installation files on all compatible Windows 7 or 8.1 computers configured to automatically download and install updates, regardless of whether or not they had specifically requested the upgrade. ...However, on October 29, 2015, Microsoft announced that it planned to consider Windows 10 as a "recommended" update in the Windows Update interface some time in 2016, which will cause an automatic download of installation files and a one-time prompt with a choice to install to appear. In December 2015, it was reported that a new advertising dialog had begun to appear, only containing "Upgrade now" and "Upgrade tonight" buttons, and no obvious method to decline installation besides the close button. ...some users also alleged that their Windows 7 and 8.1 devices had automatically begun upgrading to 10 without their consent."

Three links I used:

GWX tool explained:

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

Which leads to.

Gwx tool download:

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Also used.

How to remove the involved updates cleanly:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/

Set Win Updates to 'Manual'.

And keep an eye on the updates you get afterwards. They win10 ones sometimes get resent, and need to be hidden again.

Oh, sometimes an update gets renamed, and sent. So don't install new ones right away, but hold off, and then google the number to check if others have seen problems with it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Like many of you, I was perfectly content with Windows 7. Unfortunately, the reality is that once Microsoft stops supporting all operating systems prior to Windows 10, your systems will be more open to intrusions. Unless you're running Flight Simulator on an off-line, non-networked computer and are willing to download new aircraft, etc., for Flight Simulator on a Windows 10 computer, then copy it to a disk for use on the offline computer, what's the choice?

Art

My particular choice is to keep on truckin' with Windows 7 until, oh, about Fall of 2019, since Win 7 extended support ends 1/14/2020. At that point, I'll buy whatever the most stable recent version of Windows is.

Even with GWX installed on my wifes W7 laptop I find that you still need to check each monthly update for KB3035583 & KB2952664. The latter seems to pop up each time. I have obviously stopped auto updates. Mind you I did let W10 update my laptop, & my tower system with W8.1 pro is not eligible for the free W10 so I don't get bothered by it.

Good luck

Keith

Well .... I think they're still pretty nice ..... still using their Windows XP

You should be carefull g. The things that you say...someone might actually believe to be 100% true. Remember, those guys distributed a disk four lockout and then recinded it. Opps!

I'm glad to see this thread...in particular about the app that can stop this intrusion. I thought that I had completely removed any remnants of GWX, but when I used the control panel, it let me know there were still some files to be disabled. I still use Win7 and won't update to 10 until I decide to buy a new pc.

Thanks goes to those who posted the links to the control panel. Nice job!

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Well, I'm vey happy to have the latest operating system that does seem to be a bit faster than W7 & 8.1.

I even quite like the Store, as it has a lot of free movie apps there as well. So, bye bye Netflix.

Oh, my 3x FS2004's & my P3D work withoout any issues at all.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived