Change default directory for saved flights

coastalguy

Is there a way to permantly change the directory where saved flights are stored, so that when saving or loading flights, my directory appears rather than the FSX default one. I looked in the fsx.cfg file and could not find a setting for it. Is there some other FSX file where this file destination can be changed?

I don't know if there is a quick fix.

What I would do is to first move the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" folder from "My Documents" to a new location. To drive D:\\ for example. Moving all saved flights.

Then I would create a symlink in the "My Documents" folder, and make it link to the new location.

For that I would use the command

mklink /J

The full command is:

Mklink /J "path and name of new link" "path of folder that's linked to"

In my case:

I use Win7-64

My username as example: Roger

Location link has to come, and it's name:

C:\Users\Roger\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

path of the moved flights folder:

D:\Flightsim Files\Flight Simulator X Files

The full command would be:

(I'll put it in a code box, if you paste the contents of this to a notepad file, you will see it's all one line.)

mklink /J "C:\Users\Roger\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" "D:\Flightsim Files\Flight Simulator X Files"

Where do you enter this?

In an administrator command prompt.

Why did I add the "quotes"?

Because the paths contain spaces, they need to be in quotes. That way the command is seen as one path, and not as separate commands.

Read up on the symlinks if unsure.

I'm pretty sure this should do the job though.

With the symlink in place, any file you drop "in" the symlink, will end up in that folder in D:\

and files FSX drops in there do so as well.

If FSX "looks in the symlink"

it finds what is in D:\

Windows know's what's what, but FSX is none the wiser.

To access the files manually, just go to the D:\ folder directly. Don't click on the symlink in "My Documents" to then end up on D:\

Keeps you on top of of what you are doing.

Make sure the 'name' of the symlink is correct. "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files"

FSX will be looking for something with that name to store the folder in.

(If it isn't there, fsx will just create a new "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files" folder, and store it in there. So no big issue. Just means you will need to remove the symlink you made, and make it again...)

(Oh I should add that when making a symlink with that name, you must not already have a folder or symlink by that name there.)

The /J makes it a certain type of link. The one you need.

(I think there are four types of link, but this is the one you want for this.)

Works for the

My Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files

folder as well. (contains your screenshots).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The answer is NO. FSX saves to 'C:\My Documents\Flight Simulator X' folder regardless where you have FSX installed. It is 'hard wired' and can not be changed.

Saved flights are so small (345 Kb typical) that 1000 saved flights would only take up 345 Mb. Most Hard Drives on modern PC's are 1 TB (ie: 300 THOUSAND 'Saved' flights would not fill it up).

This is/was a good question. Never thought about that possibility. So, I fired up FSX and looked (and looked) to see if ('maybe') there might be a choice. There wasn't.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Just tried exactly that and it worked.

I created folder:

D:\FSX Saved Flights

Then Copied all files from:

to:

D:\FSX Saved Flights\

Then Deleted folder:

(so it was not in the way when making the symlink.)

(renaming the folder should do the trick too)

Then opened an: Administrator Command Prompt

And typed the command:

mklink /J "C:\Users\Roger\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" "D:\FSX Saved Flights"

--------

With the files in the: D:\FSX Saved Flights\

folder, fsx finds them fine. I started fsx, and clicked "Load" and the files where there.

Tried one, and the flights loaded ok.

Then saved it, under a new, different name.

Then Looked in the folder:

D:\FSX Saved Flights\

and the saved flight was there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived