FSX Steam Issues

Sim84

About two months ago I purchased the Steam Edition of FSX due to me not being able to find a boxed version. Its been working well until I shut down Steam and restarted my computer. When I try to open FSX it brings up the opening screen but doesn't do anything past that. When I try to close it, it say that the program is not responding and I have to force shut down. I've tried restarting the computer and steam but it does the same thing every time. Has anyone had this issued and what can I do to resolve it? I'm only off a few days and wanted to practice some things! Help please! Thanks in advance

My Steam cfg is in C\ProgramFiles(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX.

It is named FSXSEConfig.exe.

rishabk97 is suggesting that you move this config file to another location (perhaps drag it to your desktop) then try and start FSX. If it starts FSX will then build a new config file.

W11 Home. Intel Corei7-14700K 3.4Ghz 28cpu.

Nvidia Geforce RTX4040Ti Super. ASUS ROG Strix B650 Mobo.

1 TB Samsung 990m2 SSD.

My Steam cfg is in C\ProgramFiles(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX.

It is named FSXSEConfig.exe.

rishabk97 is suggesting that you move this config file to another location (perhaps drag it to your desktop) then try and start FSX. If it starts FSX will then build a new config file.

NOOOO!!

That is NOT the file in question.

That is an .exe file, not a .cfg file.

The FSX.cfg file is in...

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

...for an FSX:SE stand alone install, or...

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

...for a side by side install with FSX Boxed.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• 4 weeks later...
Right click on FSX in your Steam library and choose Properties. Then go to the "Local Files" tab. Choose "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" and let that check your files. If something is broke it should fix it.

So I tried this multiple times and am still getting the same result. I just get the opening screen and nothing else. I emailed Dovetail Games who looked at some files I sent them and said it must be an issue with my computer. There would offer no more help. I can't figure out how to get a hold of Steam support either. This is really frustrating. There's no reason it should just stop working all together because of a computer restart.

What are your computer specs?

How long have you left it like that? FSX can take a few minutes to load.

Did you try the suggestion of letting FSX rebuild the FSX.cfg file?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

What are your computer specs?

How long have you left it like that? FSX can take a few minutes to load.

Did you try the suggestion of letting FSX rebuild the FSX.cfg file?

peace,

the Bean

I've left the screen like that for an hour as I know it sometimes takes a little bit to load. You'll have to forgive me and help me out. I'm not sure of the specs but it's a newer laptop. How do I let FSX rebuild the file you're talking about? Forgive me for my computer ignorance.

I followed the directions but I couldn't find AppData. I attached a screen shot of what it looked like after I clicked on my name in the Users sections. I went to the desktop section and drug it to the desk top and tried opening it again, however I got the same results

Do you have the SHOW HIDDEN FOLDERS AND FILES box ticked in the Folder options? Up at the top of the main folder containing what you are looking for, in this case C:\Users, click TOOLS, then scroll down to Folder Options. In the box that pops up, click the little tab at the top named VIEW. Scroll down through THAT until you see a radio button labeled SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS. Click the radio button to change it from OFF to ON. It will be colored in, sort of, when it's ON.

Click OK at the bottom, until the box closes. You will need to wait a little while for it to make the changes to ALL the folders and files under the one main one. Once it's all done, look again. You will see the folder you want. Then continue on with Mr. Bean's directions.

Once you find your FSX.cfg file, MAKE A BACK UP OF IT FIRST!!!!!

Then you can safely delete it, make changes to it, should you desire, and so on. If you mess up badly, just replace the file with the backup you made, and voila! Right back where you started.

Speaking of which, I have found that for some reason, with the SE version of FSX, there is a little glitch, someplace, and on occaision it won't open. Rather than deleting the FSX.cfg file, you just need to edit it a little to fix the problem.

Make sure any attempts to start FSX have completely ended. Use the Task Manager if necessary.

BACK UP THE FILE FIRST!! Open it with Notepad, Notepad++, whatever. Do NOT use MSWord, or other word processing programs as they add characters that make the file unusable. Scroll down through the file till you find a Section labeled thus:

[uSERINTERFACE]

Look down through that section till you find a line reading SITUATION=

It will be followed by a path and file name, like this: C:\Users\Pat\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\FA-18C TRAINING 16.1

Yours will be different, but the idea is the same. Delete ALL the stuff after the = sign. Save the file, close it, then try to start FSX again.

I have to do that about every tenth or 11th try to start the Sim.

Note: Deleting the .cfg file will not harm anything. The game automatically builds a new FSX.cfg if there isn't one, ie: you deleted, renamed, moved, whatever, the one that WAS there. It's part or the way it's programmed. It requires no other action on your part than starting the Game.

ALSO: Make certain you are logged in as Admin.

AND make sure NOT to put the game into C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). You can place it safely ANYplace other than those two folders. I know it's a pain but if it IS in there you will need to uninstall it, then re-install it elsewhere. I've heard this can be very important. I have never put a sim in either of those two folders, so I can't speak to the result if you do, but the consensus on the forums is DO NOT!!

I hope all that babbling helps a little. :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I followed the directions but I couldn't find AppData. I attached a screen shot of what it looked like after I clicked on my name in the Users sections. I went to the desktop section and drug it to the desk top and tried opening it again, however I got the same results

You just said you couldn't find AppData, then what did you drag to the desktop?

1. Open Run (Shortcut: Windows + R).

2. Type "%AppData%\Microsoft", mind it, without the quotes.

3. There you should find a folder FSX-SE. Open it and you'll get your fsx.cfg.

4. Drag this file to the desktop and run FSX again.

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

• 2 months later...
Do you have the SHOW HIDDEN FOLDERS AND FILES box ticked in the Folder options? Up at the top of the main folder containing what you are looking for, in this case C:\Users, click TOOLS, then scroll down to Folder Options. In the box that pops up, click the little tab at the top named VIEW. Scroll down through THAT until you see a radio button labeled SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS. Click the radio button to change it from OFF to ON. It will be colored in, sort of, when it's ON.

Click OK at the bottom, until the box closes. You will need to wait a little while for it to make the changes to ALL the folders and files under the one main one. Once it's all done, look again. You will see the folder you want. Then continue on with Mr. Bean's directions.

Once you find your FSX.cfg file, MAKE A BACK UP OF IT FIRST!!!!!

Then you can safely delete it, make changes to it, should you desire, and so on. If you mess up badly, just replace the file with the backup you made, and voila! Right back where you started.

Speaking of which, I have found that for some reason, with the SE version of FSX, there is a little glitch, someplace, and on occaision it won't open. Rather than deleting the FSX.cfg file, you just need to edit it a little to fix the problem.

Make sure any attempts to start FSX have completely ended. Use the Task Manager if necessary.

BACK UP THE FILE FIRST!! Open it with Notepad, Notepad++, whatever. Do NOT use MSWord, or other word processing programs as they add characters that make the file unusable. Scroll down through the file till you find a Section labeled thus:

[uSERINTERFACE]

Look down through that section till you find a line reading SITUATION=

It will be followed by a path and file name, like this: C:\Users\Pat\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\FA-18C TRAINING 16.1

Yours will be different, but the idea is the same. Delete ALL the stuff after the = sign. Save the file, close it, then try to start FSX again.

I have to do that about every tenth or 11th try to start the Sim.

Note: Deleting the .cfg file will not harm anything. The game automatically builds a new FSX.cfg if there isn't one, ie: you deleted, renamed, moved, whatever, the one that WAS there. It's part or the way it's programmed. It requires no other action on your part than starting the Game.

ALSO: Make certain you are logged in as Admin.

AND make sure NOT to put the game into C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). You can place it safely ANYplace other than those two folders. I know it's a pain but if it IS in there you will need to uninstall it, then re-install it elsewhere. I've heard this can be very important. I have never put a sim in either of those two folders, so I can't speak to the result if you do, but the consensus on the forums is DO NOT!!

I hope all that babbling helps a little. :D

Pat☺

I tried this today and found fsx.CFG. I was able to open it in notepad and see thext however I did not locate anything that said [uSERINTERFACE}]. I could not find anywhere where it said SITUATION= either. I've pasted everything in that file that I opened in notepad. Am I missing something? Thanks for all the help. I also tried moving the CFG file at which time it created a new one uopn me opening FSX. It asked me if I wanted to intall updates, which is further than I've got in a long time, however it just freezes up again on the same screen.

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693751040

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693751040

[sOUND]

AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000

[Display]

ChangeTime=4.000000

TransitionTime=4.000000

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

ProcSpeed=8271

PerfBucket=7

[PANELS]

IMAGE_QUALITY=1

[Weather]

WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1

MinGustTime=10

MaxGustTime=500

MinGustRampSpeed=1

MaxGustRampSpeed=200

MinVarTime=5

MaxVarTime=50

MinVarRampSpeed=10

MaxVarRampSpeed=75

TurbulenceScale=1.000000

WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com

WeatherServerPort=80

WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0

AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1

DynamicWeather=2

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

[DISPLAY.Device.Intel® HD Graphics.0]

Mode=1024x768x32

[AccelerationPack]

ControlsFirstRun=0

[CONTROLS]

Controls_Default=Standard

Controls_Current=Standard

[TextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

[TextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

GForce=1,3

FuelPercentage=1,4

[TextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

GForce=2,3

FuelPercentage=2,4

[slewTextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

[slewTextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

[slewTextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

[DynamicHeadMovement]

LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000

LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000

RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000

YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000

RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000

MaxHeadAngle=5.000000

MaxHeadOffset=0.300000

HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

[VirtualCopilot]

VirtualCopilotActive=1

Ok, until you are able to get the sim actually running, the [userinterface] section won't exist.

SO, we have to figger out why it's locking up before it gets to that point.

Did the [userinterface] section that you had before you started this whole affair? I do hope you made a copy of it :) If it did, try copying it into the new FSX.CFG that was just made.

I like too take and separate the different section in the .cfg file out with a line feed. That way I can insert things, if needed without it looking all run togethr like it's originally made by the Sim. Anywhere you see a heading defined by the [WHATEVER SECTION NAME], place your cursor in front of the [ and hit enter. That will put a space between the previous section and that one you just moved down. It just makes life a lot easier.

Once you have done that, you can copy-n-paste the [userinterface] section from the original file into the new one.

I don't think the trouble is in the FSX.CFG file, though, since you got rid of the original and it's started making the new one.

Can you look in the Administrative Tools menu of the computer's Control Panel, and once it opens, select the Event Viewer tab. Once it opens, click on the Custom Views menu choice on the left side of the window. Select Administrative Events. Once you do, scroll down through the upper portion of the window for one that says Error, and two columns over, it says Application Error.

If it says Faulting Application Name: FSX, take a screenshot and post it for us, please. That will help us isolate the problem, and thus, assist you better.

Here is an example. I hope it helps you some :D

ScreenHunter_312 Mar. 28 11.22_A.jpg

We will figure this problem out, you wait and see :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks for the reply! I did not make a copy of the original CFG because the problem started out of the blue before I had removed it and let fsx create a new one. I went into the Admin tools and found this. Everything on 3/28 between 11:59 am and 12:14 pm is when I was messing with FSX trying to get it to open. It called it an application hang and stated that it stopped interacting with windows.Here is a screen shot of what I found. Thanks so much for all your help!

FSX.png

It sounds like your .exe file is corrupt. Go into your steam panel and right click on the simulator in your library. Click on delete local content. Do not touch any other files that are connected to the simulator. Again, Do not touch any other files that are connected to the simulator. It only takes a couple of seconds to delete. Then, reinstall through the steam panel. Steam will put everything back to its appropriate spot.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

So I shut down Steam and reopened it. When I tried to open FSX again it brought up the first time set up screen and got stuck on this screen. Notice the small window that says first time setup.It would appear that this is supposed to be doing something but it just sits like this for eternity and does nothingFSX again.png

Archived