Big changes in fps between paused & unpaused sim.. Why?

martinstebbing

I was getting good frame rates - I have the fps fixed to 60fps and usually got near that. I had some BSOD problems and now the fps is variable. What I am seeing is sudden dips to almost single figures when I am on the ground, though in cruise flight with a PMDG 747 I get at least 40fps.

I need to troubleshoot this - not quite sure how yet, but one oddity is that if I pause FS9 the fps always jumps up to 60fps again, even if it was at 10fps originally. Any idea why there's be such a dramatic change just by pausing FS9? What is going on 'under the bonnet (hood!)' when you pause the sim? It might help me get my frame rates consistently high again.

Thanks.

Martin

I don't expect you will see fewer processes. Just that the sim is using less resources. (But I don't use process-explorer.)

The reason for more fps is because the sim isn't doing anything.

A sim is very different from a movie. A movie displays a series of pre-stored images.

The sim keeps track of where you are, and does a lot of calculations. It knows where you started out, keeps track of what throttle setting you apply, your steering input, the resulting thrust, the engine temps, effect of wind on body as defined in aircraft.cfg file, drag, direction of drag, resulting effect on aircraft speed and aircraft heading, speed to be displayed, and that displayed speed depends also on pitot heat - altitude - aircraft pitch and air temperature. Etc etc etc. All calculated many times each second. It also turns all that data into your position and altitude and pitch each fraction of a second, and analyses what the viewpoint (pilot) should be able to see. Then generates an image of that, based on the FS world. It's additionally calculating changing share of clouds, turbulence effects, etc.

That's a lot for a cpu to do. Additionally it is also doing a lot of work to help the videocard put all those slightly changing views on the screen, 60 times a second.

If you pause the sim, the pc no longer has to do any of that. All the modules that were doing the work are still loaded, and they 'remember where the left off', but they are on pause making the cpu do no calculating.

If I pause the sim I can clearly hear the videocard fan slowing down, and shortly after the Cpu fan slows down as well. If I also minimise it at the same time it goes quiet even faster. Also the fps rate goes to the max set fps right away.

Al that is no explanation for whay you experienced problems with performance and fps while flying. Just for why the fps is so high when paused.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I am seeing is sudden dips to almost single figures when I am on the ground, though in cruise flight with a PMDG 747 I get at least 40fps.

That's because the CPU has to cope with rendering all those airport objects. There's not much rendering to do at 35,000 feet!

Also, don't forget the PMDG 747 is a complex aircraft which will tax your CPU heavily. Try the same exercise with the default Cessna 172 and see what a difference that makes!

Dijvid

That's because the CPU has to cope with rendering all those airport objects. There's not much rendering to do at 35,000 feet!

Also, don't forget the PMDG 747 is a complex aircraft which will tax your CPU heavily. Try the same exercise with the default Cessna 172 and see what a difference that makes!

Dijvid

Getting that Cessna 172 to FL350 is going to tax a lot more than the CPU!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest lavochkin

FS2004?? Really, Depends on the computer , but have you checked you setting in FS? And I agree with Shanwick, PMDG is graphic heavy.

Dfrag??? Maybe??

Good luck.

I have turbo charged the Flight 1 C172 and made other adjustments that have enabled me to take it FL250 - and still climbing. So it can be done.

Dijvid

You sure you're not suffering from Apoxia? Turbo charged or not ..... the cabin is not pressurized.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The PLANE might be ble to do, but I hope you've got a good oxygen supply oon board to go that high!

Otherwise, you would be taking a nap up there someplace and we all know THAT'S not a good thing at all!

I think it's HYpoxia, by the way, not Apoxia. Astornaut with a bad leak in the suit, Apoxia, pilot up too high, HYpoxia. Apoxia indicates NO oxygen, say a pure nitrogen environment, or low Earth Orbit, for eample. HYpoxia indicates a low amount of or lack of oxygen, like above say 10-12,000 feet MSL.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You sure you're not suffering from Apoxia? Turbo charged or not ..... the cabin is not pressurized.

Something you didn't know - I have oxygen cylinders and masks in my C172.

And before you ask - yes, I wear a pressure suit as well :)

Dijvid

Something you didn't know - I have oxygen cylinders and masks in my C172.

And before you ask - yes, I wear a pressure suit as well :)

Dijvid

You'll need it - cannulas only work until around FL180 in an unpressurized aircraft...

;)

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Archived