How to Backup FSX

inky160

I want to backup my FSX+Accel to a 1TB external drive. I thought it was a simple matter of copy/paste to a new folder on external drive. But, I guess special software is needed to accomplish this?

Or, would it be better just to load my 3 disc set onto an external drive using the same product key?

Thanks, Ron

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

While I do copy some FSX default files and folders to a backup before making edits, my backup of the FSX program is a Windows image of the disk(s) containing FSX and Windows to an external HD.

Art

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Thanks for the tip. A google search of "Windows image backup" was helpful. Forum users here always suggest save an FSX backup file. The Windows Image will copy "everything" from your PC to a drive of choice including your FSX folder.

Ron

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

I want to backup my FSX+Accel to a 1TB external drive. I thought it was a simple matter of copy/paste to a new folder on external drive.

It is, as long as you will still be booting from the same C drive and registry.

But, I guess special software is needed to accomplish this?

Nope.. I've never needed any.. I have several backup copies of FSX on several drives.

And I also have a brand new spare C drive with Win 7 and FSX, in case of boot drive mayhem.

I've been keeping my everyday FSX on my C drive the last several months.

Hello

Backing up Fs9,I use the free version of a program called best sync, and it works very well .

The initial back up takes some time, but after that they are incremental and the whole process is very quick.

I have only been using X for a few weeks now (beginning to really like it)but your post reminds me its time to back that up as well.

I know that backing up FS9 has saved my bacon a number of times, plus i also use that copy as a sort of spare parts utility ,not just a way of recovering from major FS failures.

Anyways! easy to neglect but probably one of the most important things to do .

Backup!

Cheers Andy

Well, didn't expect this alert about "NTFS". Things to know about the process of system backup to an external drive. My drive selection was an unformatted thumb drive. Just experimenting.

Thanks, Ron

System Image a.jpg

What I do is fail safe (at least for me).

Use Winzip v20 and compress all your important files i.e.:

Aircraft, gauges, Scenery World scenery, Scenery Global scenery, Effects, Modules, Sound, Gauges, Add-on scenery, Sound,Terrain.cfg, scenery cfg. (I hope that I've not left anything out). I leave Scenery World and Global 'Texture' out as I add very few files to these.

Transfer all these files to an External Drive (2 TB Drive is a good compromise).

You will have to re-install all Add-ons.

Positive or negative comments welcomed.

Transfer all these files to an External Drive (2 TB Drive is a good compromise).

You will have to re-install all Add-ons.

Positive or negative comments welcomed.

You shouldn't have to reinstall add ons unless you boot from a different drive that

does not have the FSX and any add on's registry entries.

Theres only one foolproof way and thats by creating a windows "system image" to record your entire computer to another usb hard-drive. There are hidden files from fsx addons scattered all over your system. I would overwrite my system image after new updates or every month.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Archived