PFPX vs Aivlasoft EFB

GridNorth

I want tohave a go at flying large aircraft but I want to learn more about the whole process while I am at it. Up to now I have been using Plan-G for flight planning but from what I have seen something a little beefier may be required. PFPX looks very good but Aivlasofts EFB looks a little more comprehensive. Or am I missing something?

Opinions on the two would be appreciated before I splash the cash especially from those with experience of both.

Alan

Hi Alan,

They're two completely different animals. PFPX is a flight planner and although it can display your aircraft on a moving map it's far from its best feature.

EFB is not a flight planner. It takes a plan created from many different sources and displays it on very detailed charts. These charts include airport layouts including runways, taxiways and gates. They also include SID and STAR charts for those airports that have them in the real world.

I have both and can confirm they're excellent in their own fields. If you already have an aircraft that PFPX supports like the PMDG737 then I would suggest you get PFPX first. It is an outstanding planner.

EFB is the icing on the cake. Nice to have but not essential.

Ray, Cheadle Hulme Weather

System: FSX SP2, Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5, i4770K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb RAM, EVGA GTX 780 3Gb, Windows 7 (SP1), Sony 32" LCD TV @ 1920x1080, Saitek Pro Yoke, Pro Throttles, CH Pedals, many GoFlight modules.

Hello Ray. I have another question for you. I've been looking at some EFB videos and I got the distinct impression that you can plan a flight with it albeit perhaps not as comprehensive as PFPX. Also can it be purchased on disc, all I can find is downloads. I'm a bit of a Luddite with things like this, I like to be able to touch something for my hard earned cash.

Alan

Hi Alan,

It's definitely not a planner. You can use external planner like RouteFinder to generate a route (minus SIDs and STARs). http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ See here... http://www.aivlasoft.com/features/route.html

That route will be fed into EFB and you will then choose the runways and appropriate SIDs and STARs.

PFPX will also calculate your aircraft fuel and TopCat (available separately) integrates nicely for V Speeds, trim etc.

You can try EFB for 30 days. http://www.aivlasoft.com/index.html

It's best on a separate PC but you can run it on same PC as FSX.

Most software is download only these days. You won't find an option for CD with many and they generally include a premium for that service. Download and copy to a USB stick or burn to a CD. That's your best option.

System: FSX SP2, Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5, i4770K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb RAM, EVGA GTX 780 3Gb, Windows 7 (SP1), Sony 32" LCD TV @ 1920x1080, Saitek Pro Yoke, Pro Throttles, CH Pedals, many GoFlight modules.

Thanks for your help. I have downloaded a copy of EFASS, it seems adequate for the time being. Can you recommend a good tutorial for flying something like the Boeing 737. All the ones I've found up to now seem to a) require the PMDG version, b) use default key commands for control or c) are produced by youngsters whose presentation skills are a little lacking. Since I started last year I have been flying the default Cesna 172 without any issues but I have remapped all the controls to a spare keyboard so being told to press key combinations makes things a little complicated.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Tutorials tend to be videos on YouTube and the quality varies enormously as you have found.

If you want to fly a twin-engine jet like the 777-800 then apart from PMDG there is another by iFly which has been well received. http://www.iflysimsoft.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?PID=13

The problem with these aircraft is their complexity for the beginner assuming you are one. The default 737-800 is simplistic both in panel quality and flight realism but serves a purpose to introduce you to flying a 737.

The PMDG737 and iFly 737-800 both rely heavily on operating the aircraft via mouse operations. You may prefer that to keyboard commands.

There is a steep learning curve to these aircraft but once mastered they are a joy to fly. To fly them you really need a yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals rather than using a keyboard. A joystick is a reasonable compromise.

As far as tutorials go the documentation with both aircraft is probably better than any videos. That's how I learnt to operate Concorde. A completely different animal to the Boeing or Airbus.

Looks like I may have to spend more money then. I'll add it to my Xmas list. I have a yoke, throttle and rudder controls and up to now found the re-mapped keys good enough for switch controls. I've also just purchased TrackHat which I hope will help.

Alan

I'm assuming you have a PC powerful enough to run a complex 3rd party aircraft.

i7 processor preferably overclocked to 4.0Ghz or more.

nVidia GTX7 series graphics card min 2Gb, pref 3Gb

Win7 / 10 64-bit

8Gb RAM

SSD.

Yes, inherited from my son together with a very high resolution monitor. I also have an i5 Laptop which I am currently running EFASS and Panel Builder on. I don't mind spending a bit of money on this new hobby but £400 MCP and EFIS panels are out of the question. The Saitek Radio Panel was bought for me as a gift and I have asked for the Multi-switch Panel for this Christmas but I can live without the ignition/light switch panel I think.

Can you think of what else I might need? Not too expensive I might add.

Al

Assuming you'll be buying the PMDG737NG or iFly equivalent you'll need PFPX to plan your flights.

I'm guessing you already have WideFS by Pete Dowson for running software on the laptop. If not, get it. Indispensable for taking the load off the FSX PC.

Weather program? Active Sky Next is the most popular and my personal recommendation.

Enhanced ground textures? I use FTX Global. Covers the whole planet. No effect on fps.

Ultimate Terrain for Europe and/or USA. Detailed coastlines, rivers, lakes etc.

Have I spent all your money yet? :)

Archived