Almost everything installed gone, just like that.

I have been trying to be careful with my new rig, going slow on installs, etc. Anyway, about a month ago I installed Microsoft work, directly from them, for a 30 day trial. About two weeks ago I got a message from them saying my account had been suspended because they had detected that my email address was sending out lots of junkmail:confused::confused:

Fast forward to yesterday. I have been getting into airport creating and had downloaded library object items from what I had thought were reliable FS sites, so after downloading and installing something, I was asked to restart the computer, which I did.

What happened next is, my computer opens, my home screen is gone, my file folders mostly gone, with very few folders on desktop, my FSX settings and tweaks gone, my F1GTN install gone, my ASN install gone, my saved pictures gone. It almost looks like my computer reset itself, but I still have FSX on "C" as it was before this happened, but I cannot for example find Flight1 GTN.

Do I have a virus, even though I have Avast and MBytes? Any theories would be most welcome, thanks.

Some questions,

Is Avast the payed version?

What OS was it again, I forget.

I guess you would have said if you knew, but do you remember what sites, and what you installed. Can you give examples?

-------------------

It's strange.

First I thought system restore. Windows doed this sometimes at startup if there is a problem and can't start windows. It does not warn of this.

But that usually only removes a program from the "Add/Remove programs list". It does not remove the program's files. And definetly not the user files.

----------------------

Then I had a thought...

Could it be you are now logging in as a different user (account) for some reason without realising??

A different user (account) would not have access to your personal files. He would not even see them.

Same with programs. The different user would not be able to use all of them. Only those that were installed "for all users".

So, I think that situation would show exactly what you describe.

(And your files would not be gone in that case. Just invisible to the new user.)

Continuing this train of thought...

Some OS's can use a Microsoft Account for login.

If you were using this option, and if you changed your Microsoft account, or if it was cancelled perhaps this could do this????

(just guessing there..)

-------------------------

Must be a horrifying situation. I wish you strength!

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your help has always been spot on and valuable.:) Of course, right after I read your possible scenario I made a mad rush to my computer, and there it was, for a brief second (actually a couple of days) I had logged in under the wrong account, so there it was again, all my files, all my pics, etc. thank you so much for illuminating this increasingly dimming brain of mine.:):(

Archived