VOR Range

tin1man

Like to find someone that is up on Nav radio and how they work. While flying in group flight all other flyers recieve vor signals normally and my fadio won't recieve the signal. For example. 195 mi station. Everyone else recieves the signal at 190 mi and I get the signal at 80 miles. Any help appreciated. Maybe where to ask?? Thanks BTW this is for all stations in fs9 not just one.

Is it all aircraft, or a single, specific aircraft? If it is a single plane, we need to know which plane in particular. The zip file you downloaded it in, and from which site.

There are people much more qualified in this than I am, but to me, in my limited knowledge, it sounds like a radio problem. Maybe an older gauge, or simulatedly older type of radio gauge in a particular plane.

I am frquently mistaken, however. The additional info I requested will help us narrow the problem down. Plane, gauge, scenery, whatever.

Not overly helpful, sorry...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

It has nothing to do with gauges, VOR range is in the scenery files.

Are your online mates using any addons that you do not have?

peace,

the Bean

PS, I suppose you could write a gauge that limits VOR reception range yet have to wonder, why would you?

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

It has nothing to do with gauges, VOR range is in the scenery files.

Are your online mates using any addons that you do not have?

peace,

the Bean

PS, I suppose you could write a gauge that limits VOR reception range yet have to wonder, why would you?

Are you flying at a lower altitude than your mates?

Are you flying at a lower altitude than your mates?

I am pretty sure terrain interference is not modeled in the FSX VOR signals.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Ok, I knew there were others a lot smarter than I about this stuff!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Terrain interference is modelled. (at least, it is in FSX. Not sure about FS9, I only have FSX.)

Tune a local VOR when parked. You won't receive it. Not even at an airport in a relatively flat area.

Take off, and at a few 100 ft you receive the signal.

(You could also use slew to ascend.)

Or receive a signal in flight, then drop low between the mountains. You'll lose the signal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bear in mind also that there are three types of VORs in service, Terminal, Low Altitude, and High Altitude. The latter two are the ones you use for navigation.

Read this Wiki article for complete details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range

[TABLE=class: wikitable][TR][TD]T (Terminal)[/TD][TD]From 1,000 feet above ground level (AGL) up to and including 12,000 feet AGL at radial distances out to 25 NM.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][TABLE=class: wikitable][TR][TD]L (Low Altitude)[/TD][TD]From 1,000 feet AGL up to and including 18,000 feet AGL at radial distances out to 40 NM.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][TABLE=class: wikitable][TR][TD]H (High Altitude)[/TD][TD]From 1,000 feet AGL up to and including 14,500 feet AGL at radial distances out to 40 NM. From 14,500 AGL up to and including 18,000 feet at radial distances out to 100 NM. From 18,000 feet AGL up to and including 45,000 feet AGL at radial distances out to 130 NM. From 45,000 feet AGL up to and including 60,000 feet at radial distances out to 100 NM.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived