Migrating FSX Gold To New system

chris18p

I have a full install of FSX Gold & Acceleration Pack on a hard drive which has been recovered from a now defunct Vista machine.

If I get a new system, which will have it's own hard drive running Windows 7, and do a complete install of both items and have them both activated can I migrate the original setup from the recovered hard drive to overwrite the new so as to get back to how it was before my system died.

Can I migrate all the folders from the original fsx working system or do I have to be selective to avoid corrupting the new install?

Comments appreciated

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Hi, no prob.

Yes I will have to do a fresh install on the new system but on my old system I had a number of aircraft and missions and it would make it a lot easier not to have to install all these again.

Hi, no prob.

Yes I will have to do a fresh install on the new system but on my old system I had a number of aircraft and missions and it would make it a lot easier not to have to install all these again.

Yes, I basically do this with every annual reinstall. I save AC, sceneries, basically the whole root folder and copy paste it into the fresh install.

I do it piece meal, AC first...fire up FSX and check it out. Shut down reboot computer...go to next folder to migrate. Repeat.

NOW, you may find some AC do not migrate correctly, be it free ware or pay. In that case, reinstall per directions THEN migrate over your saved customizations.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Gigabit Z97 Gaming 3 LGA 1150 ATX Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600

SanDisk 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State

Hi

Thanks, that was what I was hoping, was just a bit unsure if there is anything in the root directory that if affected by the new OS or activation.

Sorry to be dim but "AC" is that aircraft??

Hi

Thanks, that was what I was hoping, was just a bit unsure if there is anything in the root directory that if affected by the new OS or activation.

Sorry to be dim but "AC" is that aircraft??

Yes

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Yes that's the same idea it just happens that I have the original hdd with FSX on it which I was intending to install as a slave on the new system so I will have a full fsx "in reserve" but burning everything to a disk could be a good belt an braces approach.

I have asked before elsewhere but I will do so again, I assume the activation on the new system is straight forward? Will I be able to do it online or do I have to go through the telephone route??

yes activation is the same as always. I have reinstalled many times with no issues.

Thanks, all my stuff is freeware but can't remember now what addons I installed, will have to see.

Had a thought that perhaps migrating my complete fsx install I have to the new drive and then installing fsx and acceleration pack afterwards (instead of the other way around) could be a better way, accepting now what you say about addons.

I have read elsewhere the debate where to install fsx. I have always used the default which for Windows 7 will be I believe C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft games\ any views??

..I have read elsewhere the debate where to install fsx. I have always used the default which for Windows 7 will be I believe C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft games\ any views??

My FSX Gold chose to install itself to (x86) on my Win7 desktop PC and I dare not argue with it so I let it go ahead and it runs fine.

Same with my Win8.1 Laptop, it chose (x86) for itself again and also runs fine there too..:)

Thanks, all my stuff is freeware but can't remember now what addons I installed, will have to see.

Had a thought that perhaps migrating my complete fsx install I have to the new drive and then installing fsx and acceleration pack afterwards (instead of the other way around) could be a better way, accepting now what you say about addons.

I would not suggest that. Fresh install, then migrate.

If most addons are freeware you shouldn't have too many issues.

Installed and activated no prob. Just to check do all the contents of fsx need to go over or is there some that shouldn't be migrated. Noted about doing in order rather than block so can you confirm the best order i.e the complete order you do them. Thanks

first I do gauges then aircraft that's where I found the biggest issues.

remember the effects folder.

the modules folder.

I am currently at work I will reply in greater length tonight.

Ok Chris, I am back.

Here is a link to Nick's FSX 'bible'. It is a LONG read, he takes you from building and tuning your computer to tuning FSX. You might find some tips in here:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Ok here we go,

Fresh reinstall of FSX and activated; check.

When I do a reinstall from a full copy much as you have on the other drive, it is important to remember that you do not need to 'over write' anything. The fresh install has everything the copy does. By that I mean, default aircrafts, effects, gauges, etc. If you haven't done anything to the default 737, there is no reason to migrate that. If you have added liveries or make changes to panels, etc, when you migrate that folder over, do not over write simply to save time.

Migrate the gauges and effects folders, then the aircraft folders.

If you use or need ui automation core.dll do that now and FSUIPC latest version.

Fire up FSX, load a plane see if everything seems normal, shut down and reboot computer.

I mentioned modules earlier, upon further thought; If you have a program that installs into modules and or has a registration to enter or needs to build a data base for operation, I would suggest running those programs. For example, I purchased the 3D lighted taxi way/runway scenery program. I run that for every reinstall as it needs to collect data to operate.

Similarly, if you find an aircraft that doesn't work properly. Remove that plane, install per installer instructions; then migrate over your other copy IF you've made livery or panel or any other changes you wish to have.

Ok, at this time you're at the point where your yokes and module radios, etc are all set to the default settings.

In your 'roaming' folder where your cfg is stored is a folder called controls. In that folder is an xml file called 'Standard', In your 'saved' copy of FSX on your original drive this xml file contains all of your settings for key assignments and yokes, etc.

COPY the fresh reinstall to a saved folder for safe keeping.

Delete the xml of the fresh install and copy over the one from your donor copy.

Now all of your key assignments and yoke assignments should be as you last had them on your old computer.

Fire up FSX and check.

Shut it down and reboot. (I always reboot after a 'segment' of reinstalling, it doesn't hurt and 'sets' everything.)

Ok, now it is time to migrate your cfg changes.

I am a firm believer in MINOR cfg changes. I've watched all the youtube videos and read tutorials until my eyes bled. FSX is a 32 bit game we are trying to make work on 64 bit system with out the proper CPU power to run it. I messed with buffer pools and all that stuff. I want to FLY not tweak. (Nick makes this point in his bible.)

I've read it is best to eliminate a line in the cfg and then copy and paste the adjustment over vs migrating a cfg and over writing. That is what I do.

For example, I run on widescreen aspect monitors. I change that. I add in the necessary lines for my World of AI and Military AI and that is about it.

Ok, sceneries.

This is pretty much straight forward as I only have free ware sceneries. Again, if something has a registration I would run it vs migrating.

Other wise, migrate/copy it over. Again, no need to over write the default/stock stuff to save time.

REMEMBER; many free ware developers have objects stored into the Scenery/world/scenery and or texture folders beyond the folder in the Addon folder.

Activate the sceneries as you would within FSX on an initial install and you're good to go.

Long winded I know and if you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

(As I write this I need to do a video of this next time I do it and post it!)

Have a good evening,

Dave

OK migrating done and activation OK. In the end after installing FSX new and activating that and Acceleration I copied across the complete old FSX folder so everything should have been as it was on my old system.

Everything seems to be working except that there are gauges missing on most of the Airbus A380 model aircraft. I can't remember if when I first loaded the aircraft (as I did with others I have tried) I got the prompts about whether I wished to verify the publisher.

Is there a quick way in which I can check the aircraft concerned to make sure the right gauges are available. I don't know if the aircraft I have checked are default so may need to look further that I still have the original download files to see which model etc.

It's clear that the model isn't being pointed to show the correct gauges. The blank panels show but no gauges. I have the Airbus A380 Panel For FSX only by Pasquale Rinaldi installed. I am out of touch now as to which file(s) direct the model to the gauges. I'm sure it's something simple.

Will be away for a few days now so apologies in advance for delay in responding to any replies.

It's an addon. No default a380 in fsx.

Quickest is probably to download the aircraft again and check if you did all install steps way back when.

I sometimes install something with such issues, don't take time to fix it, and forget to remove it.

After a long time, I forget, try loading, and "discover" the errors again.

Quick way of finding what's missing:

open the panel.cfg and have a look.

Example

gauge21=aaa!ppp

gauge22=aaa!qqq

gauge23=aaa!rrr

refers to gauges that are all in cabinet file aaa.cab (or in a folder named aaa).

Check if such a folder is present.

The .cab or folder with gauges can be hiding either in the panel folder, or in ..\FSX\Gauges folder

Then re-download plane and see if you lost the .cab file, or if it was never in the download to begin with.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didnt read the whole thread so im wondering if anyone asked why would u want to copy all your mistakes to a new computer?

I would take this opportunity to rebuild a new fsx for yourself instead of importing the compounded mistakes you make as you progress to being 'someone elses' guru. :) good luck.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Archived