Quick Newbie Question about Digital Combat Simulator and the "DCS World"

b3burner

I'm looking into this but have not downloaded. Just curious, does the DCS World include the whole world as a basic default canvas to fly over (in addition to the specialized campaign regions)? Or only the campaign regions are represented?

Though probably an excellent simulator for what it does, if the latter is the answer to my question above, that would make it a tough sell for me. Especially, since I've grown used to "whole world" access as standard-- even if default scenery often leaves a lot to be desired. I personally would rather have mediocre default scenery, but get the whole world to start with, than have excellent scenery here and there-- but with only few choice square miles to start with.

I suppose which is better is all in the eye of the beholder, but I'm just curious how it works?

Thanks,

-- John

DCS World has for a long time been limited to the Black Sea area, but they recently came out with the Test/Training Area in Nevada, including Las Vegas and more are coming. I have half a dozen combat flight games on my computer, and none of them cover the entire world, but rather specific battle areas fitting their historical participation, and I am not talking about arcade games.

My take on this is, that participants in combat flight games/simulators are less interested in sightseeing than flying and shooting, preferably in a historically relevant environment.

IMO DCS World - with its available complement of planes - is the most sophisticated on the market in terms of aircraft and weapon systems authenticity, so sophisticated that I hesitate to make the effort to learn enough to fight effectively (there are hundreds of pages of manuals to read - not to mention separate key commands for every aircraft). I do prefer WW2 sims, where weaponry is limited to machine guns, bombs and unguided rockets, and there are a few good ones. WW1 planes are even simpler and can be great fun to fly, but - again - scenery is limited to the European fronts.

Thanks for your reply. That answers my main question. Limited geographical range, but very detailed scope where it is focusing on. Very interesting.

Ahh and what a coincidence. You live not too far from one of my old haunts when I was about 5 yrs old. My folks lived in Springfield, though my memories of it are very limited, my family having moved to California when I was 6. Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. That answers my main question. Limited geographical range, but very detailed scope where it is focusing on. Very interesting.

Ahh and what a coincidence. You live not too far from one of my old haunts when I was about 5 yrs old. My folks lived in Springfield, though my memories of it are very limited, my family having moved to California when I was 6. Thanks again.

The WW1 and 2 games can be great fun, if you can deemphasize the scenery wish. In a good combat sim you will not have time to admire it anyway - lol.

Yes - Springfield is close by, I go there often for shopping. I worked for the EPA as a contractor for ten years, and visited SF and Oakland many times, so I have also seen your neck of the woods.

Hi Folks,

I've been thoroughly enjoying the DCS F-86 and Mig-15 - jet speeds with guns...

Regards,

Scott

Yes I have those, and the P51 and FW190 are good, as are the helicopters, but I find the modern jets less exciting when you have to lock on to targets that are not even visible, and select and fire the right type of missile. I hope DCS will come out with an integrated WW2 scenario.

Archived