Lost FS9.exe and F9( will not start

michaeljulian

FS9 in Windows 7 will not start after large automatic Windows update. I have been trying on and off for a whole month without any success and installing and uninstalling 10 times at least. I have followed everything in the Microsoft Support for FS9 without success. Now following my latest installation there is no FS9.exe file to be found. I used the sentence for the start box as indicated by MS Support but no file found. Where do I go from here? All the steps in the MS Support have been completed without any benefit.

There are many, many topics as to why FS9 will not start after the Win updates.

It has to do with the "disc #4 in the drive" requirement.

You have a couple options available.

This topic explains all.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Michael,

You need to read through this Thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293089-Sim-won-t-load!

You should be able to find your answer here.

Alan :pilot:

EDIT: The Bean beat me to it!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

gdr1944 Yes I did search for FS9.exe and FS9. I have found them before but cannot find them now. Doesn't the INSTALL place these files in the right location? If so where the devil are they. Also I installed as per Microsoft instructions through D drive. I have used the no-CD option in the past but it just gives me an oversize front panel and distorted display.

Stringbean and ViperPilot2 have much better advice.

You my have a corrupted No -CD file I would suggest a re-download.

I just found out No-CD is a no no subject for some reason.

But I don't care....Mine works just fine.

Army Engineer Veteran..Busted for insubordination Nam-1966 :cool:

REPLYING to myself. I have now tracked the FS9.exe file and it is in the correct place. When I search the PROPERTIES of the FS9 icon the routing is correct and should go direct to the FS9.exe. However the instruction in the search box to locate the FS9 file shows no such file. I used the Microsoft search instruction of %appdata%\Microsoft\FS9. This piece from Microsoft then goes on to say "Restarting Flight Simulator 2004 rebulds the configuration file so how come it cannot be found?

You mention a LARGE windows update? You sure you havent installed Windows10??

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

I had the same thing happen. I just put in the no CD patch for 9.1 and problem solved. I did back up the old exe file first just in case I would still need it, This was about 2 to 3 weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.
P3Dv4.5, nothing but Gigs of ORBX, REX 4 TD, REX WW Airports HD, SkyForce 3D, ASP4. I7 8700 CPU Liquid Cooled, 32g 3200 mem, GTX 1080ti on an ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard with Win 10. Goflight GF166A VRP, 2 X RP48, GF-T8. CH Pro Yoke and Pedals.

............%appdata%\Microsoft\FS9..........This piece from Microsoft then goes on to say "Restarting Flight Simulator 2004 rebulds the configuration file so how come it cannot be found?........................

I think that you may be a bit confused as to what files should be where - If I read your entry right you are stating that you can't see the fs9.exe file in the %appdata%\Microsoft\FS9 location - if my assumption is correct this is because the file is not meant to be there. The fs9.exe file resides in the main FS9 folder - ie C:\FS9 or what ever you have named it and this is where your FS9 Icon shortcut should be pointing. However, another essential file called fs9.cfg should be in the %appdata%\Microsoft\FS9 location. If the fs9.cfg is missing FS will rebuild a new one as stated.

Please clarify if this is the case. If the .exe and .cfg files are in the correct locations indicated by me then follow the advice given by Stringbean and ViperPilot2 and read the suggested thread as the issue highlighted in it is the likely cause of your problem. The solutions offered in it will get you back 'flying'

Regards

Brian

FS9 in Windows 7 will not start after large automatic Windows update.
Really, it should not take a dozen posts for you to listen to the good advice given here.

GO READ THE OTHER THREADS AS RECOMMENDED

You are flogging a dead horse.

Longbreak 754. Thanks for your reply. I only use the "%appdata....% search to find the FS9 folder. Previously this has worked perfectly well but now produces a "nothing found" response. FS9.exe I have now located and it is in the right place. I will go through all the threads again but have carried them all out at least twice already. Nil desperandum

Wing Z - I think I am flogging a dead horse. I have a purchased a Microsoft product that has been made useless by Microsoft themselves. All the suggestions in the threads have been followed through assiduously BUT I don't usually meddle with the registry - in fact MS say don't touch the registry to the amateur. Any more constructive suggestions - with the emphasis on constructive - would be most welcome. For example if I use the search instruction "%appdat...." why does the folder FS9 not appear? Where is it? How can I find it?

.............. I only use the "%appdata....% search to find the FS9 folder........

If you are using the search word 'FS9' to find your FS files in the appdata area it might not show. I moved onto FSX years ago and therefore don't have FS9 installed but if my memory serves me correctly the folder name should, by default, be something like FS2004 or Flight Simulator 2004.

Try searching at the top level of the C:\ drive (i.e by opening a windows explorer view of the drive and using the search field located at top right of the window AND not searching using the search field displayed when clicking on the start button). Use one of the following statements:

FS2004, fs9 or fs9.*

Using each option will display a list of all folders/files that contain the searched statement. RE the two statements that contain the * option - the * is a wildcard option that instructs the search engine to list all files that contain the chosen statement and can be used if the FS9 option returns to many returns. fs9 will return any folder/file that contain fs9 in its name and fs9.* will only return any file that starts fs9. such as fs9.cfg.

Regards

Brian

Michael,

You're following the incorrect path to solving your issues. It doesn't have anything to do with 're-building the fs9.exe File'. Your issues are caused by a recent Microsoft Update.

The Thread that's referenced explains the Options available to remove the Update. I would suggest that you read through and follow the directions offered there; many have used this, and are using FS9 again successfully.

I'm sorry that you're frustrated... believe me, you're not the only one.

Believe me... the fix referenced in the other Thread does WORK.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Viperpilot2.

Thanks for your advice but I am still flightless. I removed the offending update KB.... but there was no change. I then was presented with a list of all those games - hundreds and hundreds - that would be affected by that update. It affected FS98,FS2000 and FS2002 but FS9 was not listed in any form e.g. FS9, Flight Simulator 2004, FS 2004, Century of Flight etc. etc.

However, I remain concerned that I cannot find the FS9 file which contains the FS9.cfg. I have used the search instruction "%appdata%\Microsoft\Fs9" but nothing is found.

It really looks like my FS days are over but many thanks to everybody who has tried to help.

michaeljulian, I haven't read through all the thread to see what your issue is but FS9 IS affected by the update and certainly appears on lists.

It's not hard to get it working. If you have some other issues, I read a little about not finding the fs9.cfg or something, worst case just uninstall FS and install again.

1. Install FS

2. Apply official v9.1 update

3. Overwrite the FS9.exe in the main FS folder with the thing we can't mention. Make sure the thing we can't mention is for v9.1 of FS.

That's it! You'll be up and running again! The rest of the world is! It's bound to work!

Hello

Iam really not sure what you are trying to do.(apart from the obvious of starting 9)

However, you say you have removed the offending KB update.

ok !but how have you got your windows update options set?.

If it is set to automatically download and install all Windows updates,then it will just keep installing the offending KB file that prevents you from starting your Sim.

You should set Windows upvdate to 'Download updates but let you review them first BEFORE installing them' that way you can catch any offending files (KB whatever in your case)that may cause problems.

There is also an option to 'hide' files in windows update ,that way you will banish the offending KB file.

from appearing as an option to install when you use the update function.

Anyways thoughts

Andy

As well as my suggestions, do what Brodie said if you still can't liftoff.

Just simply rein 9 in the manner Brodie suggests.

Archived