Slow loading textures and terrain

I have been fighting with this issue for about a month and a half now. My textures seem to load slow and are blurry for awhile. They eventually sharpen up but it takes some time. I had an Nvidia GTX 430 and I upgraded to a NVidia 970 thinking that would solve my problem, I did notice some faster loading with the textures and terrain but its still petty slow. I've been using FSX for going on 9 years now and have never experienced anything of this nature. Attached is a screenshot of my issue. 2015-9-9_16-43-21-67.jpg

PC Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Processor @ 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 | Windows 7 64-Bit

http://www.virtual-aviation.org/main/images/assets/signatures/robert/robertbanner.png

When that happens to me I ReStart my Pc and that fixes that. Also I defrag once a week due to me taking 50 to 100 Gig Bytes of FRAPS videos that get scattered all over the place. Wall to wall (hard drive space wise). After the 'Analize' operation it says 'You Don't Have To Defrag This HardDrive' but I do it anyway. I might restart my PC 2 or 3 times every day sometimes. It all depends what (and how much) I did (or was doing) before I started FSX. I can tell right away when things are not right. After I click 'Select Aircraft' and select Aircraft it takes 30 to 60 seconds before it loads the aircraft. So I know it's time to re-boot the PC. After that the loading only takes 5 seconds or so. And if I shut down FSX and restart it 2 or 3 hours later it will only take 10 to 20 seconds for me to see the 'Fly Now' screen (IF I did not run any big fat programs during that time). So obviously FSX keeps some files in Ram if no program that takes up ram have been run. They don't tell you everything. You have to find out for yourself thru experience. Cheers.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

When that happens to me I ReStart my Pc and that fixes that. Also I defrag once a week due to me taking 50 to 100 Gig Bytes of FRAPS videos that get scattered all over the place. Wall to wall (hard drive space wise). After the 'Analize' operation it says 'You Don't Have To Defrag This HardDrive' but I do it anyway. I might restart my PC 2 or 3 times every day sometimes. It all depends what (and how much) I did (or was doing) before I started FSX. I can tell right away when things are not right. After I click 'Select Aircraft' and select Aircraft it takes 30 to 60 seconds before it loads the aircraft. So I know it's time to re-boot the PC. After that the loading only takes 5 seconds or so. And if I shut down FSX and restart it 2 or 3 hours later it will only take 10 to 20 seconds for me to see the 'Fly Now' screen (IF I did not run any big fat programs during that time). So obviously FSX keeps some files in Ram if no program that takes up ram have been run. They don't tell you everything. You have to find out for yourself thru experience. Cheers.

Chuck B

Wow you really blew the cover of that performance bug that I've also been having before the demise of my FSX-running laptop. Thanks. [emoji41]

Sent from my Samsung GT-I8262 using Tapatalk.

Unfortunately that did not fix my problem, I'm still getting blurry textures.

PC Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Processor @ 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 | Windows 7 64-Bit

http://www.virtual-aviation.org/main/images/assets/signatures/robert/robertbanner.png

Hi dsflyerds,

Have you changed anything, or added/removed something prior to seeing this? Any fsx.cfg changes/edits, driver updates (especially vid card drivers)?

Any new addons to fsx? What programs do you have running in the background? Are there any new ones, or more, that were not running prior?

As Chuck B suggests, when was the last time you you did a hard-drive defrag (I'm assuming you're not using solid state drive [sSD] - you should not defrag SSDs)?

What sometimes works, although it's not very convenient (especially during an approach) and really can throw off the immersion factor, is to hit "reload" in the upper menu bar. I have that command mapped to a single key (in my case, the "tab" key) and I hit it when I get blurry textures. It's not the best method, as you end up getting the black loading screen popping up on you during a flight, but after the textures reload, it should be much sharper.

But, that solution is just a band-aid. We need to find out what changed, since I'm assuming you didn't have this problem earlier.

If you have a working backup copy of an fsx.cfg file that was saved prior to you noticing these slow loading textures, I might suggest that you try that one to see if the problem goes away.

If it does, then you'll need to compare both fsx.cfg files and see what are the differences, if any.

If not, then we need to look elsewhere.

I hope this helps and good luck,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

I've tried running with all my programs closed in the background and that does not help. I just recently installed a new GPU and loaded the most current drivers to it. With my old GPU i rolled back the drivers to a time where the sim was working fine, but no luck there. I'm not running a SSD and have de-fragmented my flight sim hard drive. I've deleted an rebuilt the CFG file countless times but nothing did anything

The most common cause of blurries in my experience are due to a slider(s) value(s) being set to hgh. I make this suggestion based on your statement that you 'had an Nvidia GTX 430 and I upgraded to a NVidia 970 thinking that would solve my problem'.

I'm assuming that you have not changed any slider values in FSX since installing the new GPU. Try moving the sliders down a few notches and see if that cures the problem. If so you can then start increasing and testing new values. Also check other settings such as anti-aliasing as these can also have a big impact.

Regards

Brian

Archived