Fs9 and saving custom scenery

pilotposer

Hello,

I have re-opened a closed airport in Fs9.

Using Afcad and EZ Scenery I like the results of the new runways and buildings etc.

How do I save this new file for an easy install if anything happens to Fs9 such as having to re-install the sim or a computer crash. Can I just save the addon scenery file elsewhere on another drive and keep all my hard work there.

Also can the scenery addons that are posted on Flightsim.com be added anywhere. There are some cool little scenery creations that I would like to put elsewhere rather than the location the creator made them for.

Can I just save the addon scenery file elsewhere on another drive and keep all my hard work there.

Of course you can. I keep a zipped up backup of the entire sim as-is (ie with all my add-ons, scenery, planes, gauges, etc etc) as well as a "virgin" copy of it, also zipped up, on an external HD. Anything happens to my computer, once I get it going again, I just unzip whatever works best (addon-filled version, virgin, whatever) back to their "usual" places.

Also can the scenery addons that are posted on Flightsim.com be added anywhere.

Scenery can be placed ANYwhere you like. As long as you "tell" the sim where it is when you add it in the Scenery Library. If you want to add a scenery bit or piece, like a single AFCAD, it can again be added anywhere at all, as long as this location is already in the scenery library. Like the Add-oon Scenery\scenery folder.

Let us say you download a complete scenery, with a scenery folder and a texture folder included under a main folder, like New_scenery\scenery and New_scenery\texture, for example. Let us further say, for this example, your sim is located on D:\, but you don't want the New_Scenery to go there. You want to place it in F:\My_Scenery_Folders\Hawaii (again, all just an example). So unzip the New_Scenery into F:, so you wind up with F:\My_Scenery_Folders\Hawaii\New_Scenery. When you open the sim, go to Settings, Scenery Library, click Add Area, then navigate to F: etc to find the New_Scenery folder you just placed. Once you have clicked on New_Scenery, click OK all the way back to the Settings page, close the sim, then reopen it and bingo bango, boingo, it will show up. Enjoy it :)

If, on the other hand, you already had New_Scenery installed, agian, on F: drive, where I mentioned previously, but a new AFCAD is posted for it, say new parking spaces and taxi-ways are added, just close the sim, unzip the new AFCAD into F:\My_Scenery_Folders\Hawaii\New_Scenery\scenery. Open the sim again, and enjoy! Easy as cake :D

Bear in mind, that add-on aircraft, gauges and so on must be placed in the correct sim directories or it can't find them, but scenery can be anywhere you like.

Again, I keep all the things I download and install in their zip files on an external HD as back-ups.

ALWAYS make a back-up copy of ANY individual file you may edit, like say you want to add a new livery to an aircraft, so you need to edit the aircraft.cfg file. Make a back-up FIRST, then edit all you like. If you mess things up so badly it quits working entirely, just delete your edited file, re-name you back-up copy to the proper name, and you are right back where you started from. Simple.

Does this answer your question adequately?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

My pleasure! Glad to do what little bit I can :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived