Do I need to do a complete uninstall?

davejstewart

Message on start-up of FSX. "The Dem4km.bgl file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file."

Do I need to do a complete uninstall before re-installing or will the program overwrite and repair or replace the missing or corrupt file? I have a lot of add on aircraft and scenery to consider that has taken hours to load. Would really appreciate the correct way to fix either good or bad.Thanks

the file dem4kn.bgl

is supposed to be in:

C:\FSMain\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\BASE\Scenery

If it is missing you could do a 'repair', using the CD's.

But it has a disadvantage. It replaces all default files, not just that one missing one.

That means all default files you carefully edited (panels etc.) will be returned to default.

No good.

Better:

Install fsx (deluxe only) to a second PC. Do not activate, do not install acceleration.

Then look in there and fish out the file you need. Put it on a USB pendrive (or floppy disk ;) ) and transfer it to your main PC.

Once you have fsx working again, make a backup. All of it. (default folder is 17 Gb, yours is probably bigger.

You can't use that backup to reinstall the program completely, and it won't help much when restoring payware, but if a default file ever goes missing again you will be happy with the backup.

enjoy!:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the file dem4kn.bgl

is supposed to be in:

C:\FSMain\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\BASE\Scenery

If it is missing you could do a 'repair', using the CD's.

But it has a disadvantage. It replaces all default files, not just that one missing one.

That means all default files you carefully edited (panels etc.) will be returned to default.

No good.

Better:

Install fsx (deluxe only) to a second PC. Do not activate, do not install acceleration.

Then look in there and fish out the file you need. Put it on a USB pendrive (or floppy disk ;) ) and transfer it to your main PC.

Once you have fsx working again, make a backup. All of it. (default folder is 17 Gb, yours is probably bigger.

You can't use that backup to reinstall the program completely, and it won't help much when restoring payware, but if a default file ever goes missing again you will be happy with the backup.

enjoy!:)

Hello

Rather than doing that.

Could you not locate the relevant file on the FSX install discs ,and then add it that way.

I'm not sure if you can do this with FSX, but you can with 9.

Actually this sort of problem experienced by the OP is another good reason for making a regular backup of your simulator.You can use it as a spare part (file) facility.

Andy

PS This is an all roads lead to Rome situation.

All offered solutions should work.

Thanks to you all for your input. Could not locate the missing file, so did the re-install to 'repair'. Lost a few of my modifications but that can be fixed. Your suggestions of a total backup will not go unheeded. I will be doing that as soon as I have it totally restored.

Archived