What can we do to improve?

Hi everyone!

My name is Thomas Hawksworth and I am the CEO of Soar Virtual Airlines. Soar has grown exponentially over the past year but we really aren't where we want to be yet. We need more staff, we are averaging about 3 flights a day, which should be more with almost 80 pilots. So we are taking to the community (again :) ). We figure whats the point in running an airline when it's not based on what people want? So we are kindly asking you guys to take a look at http://www.soarvirtualairlines.net and let us know what we can do to improve. Thank you very much!

Thomas Hawksworth CEO of Soar Virtual Airlines

I could get into this with you for quite a bit. I took a look at your VA's website, and came away fairly impressed. The design is uncluttered, you have a decent fleet of aircraft available, if the inclusion of your livery is hit or miss. Also, having aircraft in your livery available as one download is the way to go. Get permission from the developers as necessary. Have them available directly. Nothing is less attractive than having to download anything from one of those damn sites that make you pay for more than dial-up download speeds. If you have to link anywhere for your planes, you could have done worse than to use downloads from flightsim.com, and, I'm afraid you did. Yes, I tried the download, of the ERJ-140 Also, links to any external sites should open in a new browser tab, rather than take the viewer away from your VA's web page. Other than that, I don't see a lot of problems with your VA that are due to the VA itself.

If you're having trouble getting pilots to fly with your VA more often than once every three months, and I note that a third of your pilots haven't flown at all, I'd look at your policies. The VA I fly with requires pilots to complete an assignment in two weeks. We have some who complete one before the person who gave the assignment can get away from the computer, or so it seems, and others that take the whole two weeks. This is how to have the appearance of a very active roster, by having a very active roster. And, with a bit of leniency here and there as necessary, it is enforced. There is a difference between finger wagging rules, and making sure your pilots have some skin in the game.

But then, have you asked your pilots this question? And what have they said?

You've taken your VA from having a site that made me wince just looking at it, to something very nice. I think you'll get there, even if I'm not ready to jump ship yet. Be patient.

Robert Smith

Archived