Did I lose all my payware?

MrJuldun38

Hello everybody!

I recently had a few issues on my PC which led me to a "PC refreshing" via the windows 8's option.

When I powered my PC back on, almost all my data was gone. After 2 hours of googling I found out that it was in a secret Windows.old folder. I brang it back on the actual windows by cut-pasting the program files folders from the windows.old to the normal program files.

Some data is accessible but the fsx's folder was badly damaged and I can't find the uninstaller of the payware I had.

The big problem is that I had no time to properly uninstall my payware addons (aerosoft new a318/19/20/21 bundle + PFPX / TopCat bundle + REX 4) so I'm afraid I lost the licenses...

What should I do? However I have to perform a HDD wipe in order to get rid of the windows.old folder and all the bugs I still have (ex: can't launch some apps etc...). I'm afraid I'll lose my licenses because the payware were not correctly uninstalled... :/

Thanks for help and excuse it's a bit messy and my English isn't very good.

J.

you have a windows.old folder,

-Sometimes windows can't boot.

-One fix is to re-stall Windows.

-There is a way to install, while saving much of the old filesystem.

---And that's what happened on your PC.

-everything that was in C

-Will then be in the windows.old folder.

-That is meant for: Rescueing files.

-(Your files from "My Documents, My Pictures, Etc. Things like pictures, Documents, etcetera)

****But not for rescuing/recovering Programs.***

When you install a program, a registry entry is placed in the system files. That's how windows knows it is installed. The same happens often when activating a program.

These registry entry's are gone (Win is re-installed) and you won't get them back.

Repairing FSX is no option.

Even if the fsx folder is on a seperae drive, that is not enough.

Without those system files much will not work.

Making a shortcut on the desktop is not enough.

Fixing your payware installs won't work either.

--------------

You will have to reinstall the programs. And activate them.

Maybe you can do that in the Win8 OS-install that you have now. Maybe backing up your personal files and cleanly installing Windows is better.

--------------

I find it hard to advise what to do.

I have repaired my system using the "windows.old method" a few times, but it was some time ago, so I don't remember all the details.

Now I make a System-Image regularly. So in a situation like this I would restore my last one and get the old system back that way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The big problem is that I had no time to properly uninstall my payware addons (aerosoft new a318/19/20/21 bundle + PFPX / TopCat bundle + REX 4) so I'm afraid I lost the licenses...

Do not worry, your license does not depend on uninstalling them. But you will need the license codes and the installation files. If these are lost too, then depending on where you bought them, the codes and the installers should still be there in your online account. Some vendors have a limit on how many times you can reinstall, but getting in contact with them usually fixes this.

Archived