FS2004 doesn't run with windows 8.1

ericetdess

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OP is probably saying that he has Win 8.1, and applied the 9.1 Patch to the Sim.

ericetdess -- what happens when you try to run the Sim? The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for someone to try and help you out.

Did you Install the Sim in the Default Location (Program Files)?

Did you select 'Run as Administrator'?

Alan :confused:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Do you have the UAC disabled? Do you have FS9.exe set to Run as Admin? As Alan, said, is it in the default Program Files folder on C:\? Do you have the "unimproved" FS9.exe file, and if you do, have you tried installing it?

I know, a lot will be asking these questions in different ways, but these things can be some of the most common problems causing this failure.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

thank you for your interest. I installed fs9 on a parttion"D", not in program files in a specific directory I called "jeux/fs9, and selected the administrator run.

The only effect I get is hearing the cd drive run for a few seconds and nothing, even not the slightest error message from the PC. Yesterday I got in touch with microsoft help service but they ask me 75 Euros for any help because they say the problem comes from fs9 not from windows 8.1, which they never get from me...

I don't know how to disable the UAC sorry, I run the sim as administrator, NO I don't have any unimproved fs9.exe and even don't know where to get it. You know I am not an expert in computer matters that's why I appreciate your help. Thanks again

ericetdess,

So, you load FS9 Disk #4 into your DVD/CD Drive, and nothing happens... have you tried loading another DVD, like a movie, into your DVD/CD Drive to see if it will play?

Alan ;)

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

hello again. I try the unimproved fs9.exe, it still doesnt run the simulator and I get this answer reinstall the program, MSVCR70.dll is missing...

Couple of ideas...

Have you tried (GENTLY) cleaning your Fs9 disk 4? If not have ago and see if the sim will start.

I am not sure ,but does MSVCR70.dll normally reside in the FS9 Modules folder? If so you maybe able to restore it from your FS9 installation discs.

Somebody here at FScom more tecno savvy than me may be able to advise you.

Cheer's Andrew

a friendly hello from France Andrew! Yes I gently cleaned cd 4 but it is nor damaged or dirty at all. MSVCR70.dll must be both in fs9 folder and in windows sysWOW64. I put it back in these two places and tried to run fs9 anew. This time I got the same message but with MFC70.dll. I repaired the problem and then gat a message about language.ddll...I am getting mad about this stuff...Here they say that the unimproved fs9.exe should work perfectly with the French version of fs9 but I wonder if I should try to find a specific one for "un siècle d'aviation". to follow....

a friendly hello from France Andrew! Yes I gently cleaned cd 4 but it is nor damaged or dirty at all. MSVCR70.dll must be both in fs9 folder and in windows sysWOW64. I put it back in these two places and tried to run fs9 anew. This time I got the same message but with MFC70.dll. I repaired the problem and then gat a message about language.ddll...I am getting mad about this stuff...Here they say that the unimproved fs9.exe should work perfectly with the French version of fs9 but I wonder if I should try to find a specific one for "un siècle d'aviation". to follow....

Hello There

I hope you get your problem sorted.I know how frustrating these things can be ,and when all you want to do is fly

I have had a real problem with ASky today and after about six hrs of frustration this has now been resolved.

By the way fs9 does run very well with Ws 8.1.

Problem I now have is the constant nagging by Msoft to download W10.

Cheer's Andy

You are right. Installing XP could be a solution but I will ever wonder why fs9 is supposed to work with everybody except me!Moreover I wonder how to do it. Can I install xp on drive C also without fearing any conflict with windows 8.1? Do I need a second internal drive? and many other questions (as for instance : how the computer will know that I only want to use xp for flight simulator?)...My knowledge about computer handling is very light indeed!

As far as W10 is concerned I have been said that it is wise to wait at least for 6 months before using it until it became reliable. I would be pleased reading from you further clever ideas and clues. thank you.

All you need to do is install Windows XP and the nagging will stop. You have my word on it.

No Sireee!

I like W8.1

I used to defend old XP in the forums as being the only one for simming ,and for me .

It was only when I was forced into a position were I had no choice but to purchase a new PC because my old one was slowly dying that I discovered how fantastic it was not to have to wait thirteen minutes for my computer to start (as was the case with my old XP setup),new one takes about thirty seconds.

My new PC was not some powerhouse expensive gaming system either (HP pavilion 500 series)it comes with what must be the entry level radeon Gcard and of course W8 .

Running Fs9 on this new PC has been a revelation. It's wonderfully smooth now, I can for the first time in my fifteen year sim life use freeware airport sceneries without performance being reduced to a snails pace.(these sceneries run as smoothly as the default fs9 ones do) most of them are absolutely fantastic as well.

As to windows 8 ,I r ather liked the idea of a new OS it was quite exciting to try something new.

Anyways my point is you don't have to spend a fortune to give a terrific boost to your sim.

I am talking Fs9 of course .

By the way my PC cost just over £400 in the UK and as this is rip of Britain I bet in the U.S. it would be even cheaper.

Cheers Andy

fs9 still not running... The last thing I tried is to deactivate a nvidia service that is supposed to block fs9. This was no effect.

but I noticed something that could be usefull for you all in helping me : The installation doesn't create any register key which explains maybe thet the simul doesn't run.Any suggestion folks? I really need help!

fs9 still not running... The last thing I tried is to deactivate a nvidia service that is supposed to block fs9. This was no effect.

but I noticed something that could be usefull for you all in helping me : The installation doesn't create any register key which explains maybe thet the simul doesn't run.Any suggestion folks? I really need help!

Hello again

There is a little program that re-sets fs9 registry entry .

This little program is free and readily available.

This would definitely be worth a try.

Somebody please chip in and let OP obtain this program.

Cheer's Andy

Eric

A couple of things.

Have you tried that age old trick of deleting (or renaming) your Fs9 cfg file ,this will force Fs9 to recreate a new one on startup.

Another thing instead of clicking on any shortcuts to fs9 ,have tried clicking on fs9ex that's in the fs9 folder?that's folder that contains fs9 installation .

Techno's will probably raising there eyebrows at these suggestions ,but in your present circumstances it's worth trying everything.

Have got the latest drivers for Gcard.

Archived