PAOR Northway Airport

PAOR Northway Airport 1.0

Joel Johnson -bc-

Last Stop Before Canada

Northway Airport (IATA: ORT, ICAO: PAOR, FAA LID: ORT) is a state owned, public use airport serving Northway, a community located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area of the U.S. state of Alaska. It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation facility.

Northway Airport covers an area of 1,150 acres (465 ha) at an elevation of 1,715 feet (523 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 5/23 with an asphalt surface measuring 5,100 by 100 feet (1,554 x 30 m). Non-Precision Instrument markings, 4-light PAPI approach lights and Runway End Indicator lights on Runway 23 mark this as an aerodrome capable of handling larger and faster General Aviation aircraft.

For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2005, the airport had 15,800 aircraft operations, an average of 43 per day: 73% general aviation, 25% air taxi, and 2% military.

Northway is served by one scheduled airline operator: 40-Mile Air based in Tok, Alaska (PFTO). A Customs facility is available for those conducting cross-border operations.

Item Of Interest:

During World War II for northbound Lend-Lease aircraft on the Northwest Staging Route, the flight strip at Northway was the first stop in the Territory of Alaska.

Item Of Interest:

The highest sea-level pressure in North America was recorded at Northway on January 31, 1989 with a reading of 31.85 inches, a record only surpassed by two readings in Siberia. Due to aircraft altimeters only being able to calibrate to 31 inches, most were grounded.

Sources: Excerpted from Wikipedia.

Welcome to Northway, Alaska.

This build is unique for the uX-Pa Epoch Alaska Air Freeware Development Team in that it is considered a 'placeholder' work for the Version 10 file. Mr. Dare has once again meticulously sited all of the little neighbourhoods around the town as well as the town itself. Complete with the roads and tree coverage, this work is really meant for the terrain mesh to include a good part of the rivers and small lakes, which it does not. Even HD Mesh V3 is missing much. Many of the rivers and other liquid assets have been detailed by Mr. Dare but the fake water textures have been incorporated into Version 9.7 as it is not going to get an update from Laminar, but left out of Version 10.35+, in hopes that a recut in the near future will bring more water to the area.

In the interim, Version10 has all of the other assets in place in the countryside, just awaiting more water. Both versions have a fully realized and detailed airport facility however, so the usefulness of this package is uncompromised by the aforementioned issues.

The First Edition of this location was hosted only at uX-Pa and was a bare-bones facility build. This file replaces that, if you have the original.

Please Note:

Downloads are about 9MB each.

Charts and Credits/EULA are contained in the Documents folder.

Scenery Screenshots

X-Plane 10

Epoch.jpg

Caribouc_4.jpeg

Caribouc_6.jpeg

Caribouc_5.jpeg

X-Plane 9

screenshot_5.jpeg

screenshot_6.jpeg

screenshot_7.jpeg

screenshot_8.jpeg

Downloads links:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fsec=0&fname=paor_northway_alaska*

Visit us here:

http://www.unex-planedapps.com

Enjoy,

Joel Johnson -bc-

...at an elevation of 1,715 feet...

and

The highest sea-level pressure in North America was recorded at Northway on January 31, 1989...

Must've been a strange set of cricustances that led to that happening! Odd to think that a place 1715' MSL had that particular record, when there are places I've been to that are below sea-level, more than 200'! El-Centro and Calipatria (Home of the world's tallest undersea flagpost! So says the plaque, anyway...) come to mind. I guess it's just too hot to get the pressure up all that high in those two places.

By the by, from the FAA's airport info on Calipatria's strip:

Elevation: -184.8 ft., and OBSTN PART 77 +184' LGTD FLAG POLE 800' SE OF ARPT
The plaque at the flag pole's base say's it's 215' tall. Hmmm....someone's fibbing!

Thank you very much for the airport. It looks like a nice airport to fly in/out of.

Thanks for the head's up!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yes, imagine the weather on a day like that. A cursory search of the phenomena at Northway yielded little in the way of further info but since I discovered that little gem, my interest has been piqued. Further research necessary :)

I hope you like the facility when you fly it.

Cheers,

bc

ps... Thanks for your service Sarge. You guys are great neighbors and I met a few Marines back in the day. OR-4 Leading Seaman, Radioman, Royal Canadian Navy - Retired.

Archived