SFX Steam PMDG 737 base package

Luckyleaf6

I'm looking for some feedback about the PMDG 737 base package available for $69.99. This is quite a bit of money to invest so I am looking for some feedback before I buy it.

I'm under the impression that this plane is hands down the best thats available - I am interested mostly for the realism over the graphics. I know the "feel" of flight sim will never come close to the real thing, but for the most part on a basic flight with nothing going wrong this plane matches reality for the most part, is this correct?

Performance-wise... my computer runs FSX Steam just fine. In short, will my comp handle the PMDG 737? I've skimmed what is required to run it and compared to what I have, and I'm finding that I meet the minimums required. My comp specs are available here:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/703711/Dell-Inspiron-3646-Desktop-Computer-With/

I've watched a few folks demonstrating the PMDG 737 and was very impressed with how much you gotta know to complete a flight. They go through lengthy checklists to get the job done. I am interested in not only learning how to follow the checklists, but why each item on the checklist is there. For example, not only get directed to item X on checklist A says flip switch B, but heres why you perform this item. Does the paperwork that comes with the package do a good job of explaining the checklists (both the why and where of each item).

Flying the PMDG 737, is it compatible with the default ATC? For example, I saw a guy program in the runway he is going to land on prior to departure. On a flight plan, FSX ATC assigns you a runway as you approach the airport. Not only that, they relay you an approach procedure. This would require alot of "on the fly" adjustments on your way in. Does the PMDG 737 allow for these changes as you approach an airport?

I know the waypoint database for FSX is out-dated. I saw on some youtubes folks flying patterns with new approach plans with waypoints that are not in the default database. Does the PMDG 737 update the database? If not, can it run off the default database?

Finally, the base package... is this base package adequate? Theres not some additional thing I have to buy to open up everything is there? I want to be able to match the procedures that pilots do in real life, with for the most part everything functioning as it would in real life.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

I'm looking for some feedback about the PMDG 737 base package available for $69.99. This is quite a bit of money to invest so I am looking for some feedback before I buy it.

I'm under the impression that this plane is hands down the best thats available - I am interested mostly for the realism over the graphics. I know the "feel" of flight sim will never come close to the real thing, but for the most part on a basic flight with nothing going wrong this plane matches reality for the most part, is this correct?

.....................................................................................................................

Yes.

Performance-wise... my computer runs FSX Steam just fine. In short, will my comp handle the PMDG 737? I've skimmed what is required to run it and compared to what I have, and I'm finding that I meet the minimums required. My comp specs are available here:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/703711/Dell-Inspiron-3646-Desktop-Computer-With/

..............................................................................................................

Pretty borderline.. It's hard to guess how it would run, but that system is weak

for the NGX.

.............................................................................................................

I've watched a few folks demonstrating the PMDG 737 and was very impressed with how much you gotta know to complete a flight. They go through lengthy checklists to get the job done. I am interested in not only learning how to follow the checklists, but why each item on the checklist is there. For example, not only get directed to item X on checklist A says flip switch B, but heres why you perform this item. Does the paperwork that comes with the package do a good job of explaining the checklists (both the why and where of each item).

......................................................................................................

The plane comes with PDF versions of the actual Boeing manuals. FCOM, etc..

Flying the PMDG 737, is it compatible with the default ATC? For example, I saw a guy program in the runway he is going to land on prior to departure. On a flight plan, FSX ATC assigns you a runway as you approach the airport. Not only that, they relay you an approach procedure. This would require alot of "on the fly" adjustments on your way in. Does the PMDG 737 allow for these changes as you approach an airport?

......................................................................................................

Yes.

I know the waypoint database for FSX is out-dated. I saw on some youtubes folks flying patterns with new approach plans with waypoints that are not in the default database. Does the PMDG 737 update the database? If not, can it run off the default database?

The nav database that comes with the NGX is from 2011. You can update it with

data from Navigraph, etc..

Finally, the base package... is this base package adequate? Theres not some additional thing I have to buy to open up everything is there? I want to be able to match the procedures that pilots do in real life, with for the most part everything functioning as it would in real life.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

.................................................................................................................

The base pack includes the 800 and 900. You can also purchase an extra pack

for the 600 and 700.

Pretty borderline.. It's hard to guess how it would run, but that system is weak

for the NGX.

Is there one thing I could upgrade to kick it above borderline? New graphics card? More memory? Do I need more then 1 single thing?

Thanks for your advice!

Is there one thing I could upgrade to kick it above borderline? New graphics card? More memory? Do I need more then 1 single thing?

Thanks for your advice!

The CPU is the main thing with FSX, and that one is pretty weak to run the

NGX with any kind of decent frame rate. But I can't find any actual scores for it,

and have to use other Celeron dual cores at the same appx speed. I end up with

a PassMark score somewhere around 2350-2400. And that's just a guess judging

from another chip at the same speed. Pretty weak. I suppose it might be possible

to run the NGX with most settings down real low, but there is no way to tell

how it would run without trying it, or knowing what performance you get from

the default FSX.

Archived