hi all

avicon

Hi

Just wondering if FSX can be used as a learning tool for someone who is preparing to go on a Type Rating on a jet aircraft.

With the PMDG addon installed, how realistic is the software when compared to the FS in terms of functionality. Can the CDU be used for practise as in a real world scenario.

Also, I have intel i3, no dedicated graphics, and 6GB ddr3 RAM. Will my system be able to handle FSC with PMDG

Thanks in advance

From the licence agreement of FSX DeLuxe, file eula.rtf, in your main FSX folder:

quote: "this software cannot be part of an approved training program under the standards of the FAA or any other regulatory agency."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"this software cannot be part of an approved training program under the standards of the FAA or any other regulatory agency."

Key word there is APPROVED. I am not sure the OP want's an approved training program, just a way to "Can the CDU be used for practise as in a real world scenario.", which FSX can do. You can set up the scenario, save the flight off and practice over and over.

Is it an APPROVED FAA sim? No. That is P3D, I believe. It will let you see what you need to do in a specific situation to make a plane go where when you want it to, however. Slow down, here, put the flaps to this setting there, put the gear down at thus-and-such an altitude/airspeed, turn to this heading, set the radio to that setting, etc etc. Just don't tell the IP that "That's how I did it in FSX..."

Will it be "real?" Not totally, but it WILL give you excellent ideas of what goes where, when so to speak, in a general way. The better the plane and systems are modeled, the closer to "real" it get's. I understand PMDG planes are very good about that.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I think as long as one kept aware of any possible differences between the PMDG sim,

and real world training specs or methods, it would be quite useful. Almost everything

on the planes work as real life. The FMC and CDU work the same as real world, except

that there are also PMDG menu's to control various things. But as long as you are not

in a PMDG menu, and are using the FMC, it's the same as real world. Of course, the data

versions change, and what your company uses may well be different than the version

in the sim. I forgot what version it uses.. I'd have to go look.. But any of those changes

are going to be minor, and not really effect the "everyday" type usage much.

Not sure which plane you are interested in..

Being as PMDG is using Boeing data and specs for the planes, the systems simulation

is quite good, even down to the more obscure stuff..

I don't see how it could hurt for home study. I bet it would speed up the learning of

the FMC, etc vs someone who doesn't use it. You could bang away at it any time you

wanted. It's actually pretty easy once you get the hang.. I had to use the manual for

maybe the first 2 days or so, but after that I didn't need it..

Many real world Boeing pilots fly the PMDG jets in the artificial world, and most say

it's quite useful for practicing things that don't require a moving sim, or real airplane.

Edit.. Oh yea.. Forgot about your puter.. It might not cut it.. Pretty borderline.

It should run, but the frame rate... I wouldn't expect too much. A lot depends on

what kind of graphics that board is using.

Archived