PC in the Fridge.

I was chatting to a guy yesterday about flight sims and other games etc, he told me he bought an old refrigerator and has it by the side of his desk, he took the shelves out of it and put his PC in there with the wires coming out of the door at the top.

He said it gathers no dust so keeps the sides off it and it runs very smooth and fast, there is no ice compartment in it so there isn't any drips of water, I know it sounds a bit extreme but it is an interesting idea.

Hi ColR1948,

My take is that in theory, it makes some sense. But, I would think you might need to keep that PC constantly on - no shut downs, and you might not be able to open and close the fridge door multiple times while the fridge is on. The reason I worry about that would be possible condensation build up (water droplets forming on the MB, CPU, PSU, RAM, etc.).

Think about when you take a cold bottle of beer out of the fridge and walk around on a hot day - notice any condensation build up on the bottle?

I guess I would also worry about components working their way loose, as things do tend to contract with lower temps and expand with higher temps.

But, as always YMMV.

I'm curious as to how long this guy has been able to do this for and how he did it. If this IS something that is possible, I'm crazy enough to try it for the sake of overclocking!

If anyone reading this has done it successfully, please post your results and how you did it. :D

I agree with alaskancrab that liquid cooling is the easier (safer) and less expensive solution, though.

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Archived