Generic Approach to ...Approaches

Mithras

When I fly airliners I follow ATC and then pick up the ILS, when I fly VFR I join the pattern and land. But I’ve never used approach plates, they are daunting and I fly to so many places that just getting them all would be a big effort when I could be flying.

So, I’m trying to develop a sort of generic approach plate … And I’ve begun with one where the VOR or NDB is on the airport grounds. I know this isn’t realistic, that’s what approach plates are for, this is moving up a step from just flying ‘right traffic’ into a regional airport.

This is what I’ve tried so far, and seems to work:

Fly to the VOR/NDB.

Overfly it at 3000’ plus QFE and then turn to a heading +20 degrees that is opposite to your runway designated for landing.

Set the timer and fly for 2 minutes while descending to 2000’ + QFE then make a gentle bank back toward your runway heading.

Line up and land.

Tried this out at Blackpool airport in the UK and worked very well, although it obviously does not take into account local conditions – this generic system might be a problem in mountainous terrain. On my outbound leg at Blackpool for example, I overflew Warton airfield at 2000’ which I guess the Blackpool approach plate does not do….

Anyway, it seems to work for me. My next task is to try the same for an airfield where the beacon is some distance beyond theaway the runway, but I think all I have to do there is shorten the outbound flight time to 1 and a half minutes or something.

Are there any approaches where the beacon is in front of the runway as you approach? Ie you overfly the beacon, then have to overfly the airport, make your procedure turn and then come in to land....?

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

Ah, I've found one ...Coventry, DME approach rwy 05. You first overfly the beacon, then the airport, then make your procedure turn to land st the runway.

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-EC1AF60134E264C30D2C89CE716FFD80/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGBE_8-2_en_2012-03-08.pdf

A longer outbound time will be neccessary, and maybe less of an angle? +20 degrees for 3 and a half minutes may send you way off course. Maybe I should relate the angle of the outbound leg to the outbound time...

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You don't always need approach charts since 1000's of Jeppesen charts are already in FS9/FSX. Many have a procedure turn or transition from a VOR

A FMC or GPS will fly these approaches that exist in the default database.

This is EGBE Runway 05 (per your chart) with the CT procedure turn and DTY VOR transitions. You can slave the GPS to the planes autopilot and it will fly the approaches minus any altitude change which is done manually until established on a GS.

http://s14.postimg.org/tz7gp7tmp/fsscr008.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/fl99nlj03/fsscr009.jpg

Ah interesting, I didn't know you could do that. For me, that might not be so useful though, I have a home cockpit build for a twin prop and use Remote Flight map on an iPad as my 'GPS'. Still, is a feature I never knew about.

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived