What is a good joystick or yoke controller would you recommend?

Turtell

Tia, by your question it all depends on what type of plane are you planning on flying. I use the CH Product Flt yoke with Saitec Tension rudder pedals & I like the combination, I fly mostly Boeing liners (All). If you plan on flying Airbuses or fighter jets, old WWII planes or Bi-planes then a joystick is the way to go I would imagine the Logitech 3D Pro is a good one. If I am flying an Airbus I am the only one who knows I am using a yoke. You have to decide the plane or planes or switch back & forth. I hope this helps. Kenny

I have the old silver/black Saitek X-52. Has worked perfectly for years, hardware wise it still does but I would recommend it with the following caution:

On Windows 7 the software no longer allows you to turn off the LED's! You can turn off the big LED panel on the throttle but not the individual lights on all the buttons. I've installed the latest Saitek software on 2 PC's now with clean Windows 7 installs and the Saitek software does not allow you to turn off the LED's on either.

In saying this, the newer Saitek sticks I don't believe suffer this problem as you can turn the LED's off via the stick itself, not only through the software like the old X-52.

The best part of the Saitek Hotas system is the number of FS functions you can assign. It's a critical part imo when choosing a stick for FS often overlooked. I never need the keyboard! Doesn't matter the type of flying, the type of aircraft, the Saitek can handle all the assignments you need to assign.

If my X-52 eventually dies, I would at this point buy the X-55. The Hotas set up of separate stick and throttle feels great. All the assignments you can create make it a great stick for a sim that has so many commands for so many functions.

Some people do prefer Yokes, I can understand that side of it too but I personally think they are best suited to certain aircraft. A Hotas system is an all-rounder. A joystick only, generally cheaper and takes up less space on a desk. Plenty to consider over what best suits you.

The Logitech you mention should be a great stick too. I've used many Logitech products over the years including a joystick. They make some quality products.

Saitek for any controller yoke or stick, I have used them for many years and never had a problem with any of there products. Logitech is ok but for feel and sheer number of functions Saitek beats it hands down.
AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Saitek have always suffered build quality issues. Simple fact. They are good sticks, no question but you will find issues with them straight out the box or within a few months of use. Simple bugs IE: lights failing to some rather more nasty issues such as centering issues, rubbing or sticking, tension problems etc.

I have read people's posts in this and other forums where they state that they have never had probs with Saitek gear over X amount of years; all I can say is they have been the lucky minority who managed to come up trumps in the lucky dip and managed to get "a good one".

To contradict the above... I have used their Combat Pro Pedals now for a couple of years and they are excellent with no probs but for one minor issue. I have often recommended them to friends.

The issue: The tension adjuster wheel never worked in a satisfactory manner and I am a great believer in "Things should work as advertised, right out of the box" added to which I am a techie chicken poop I am not going to open up my (then) new £120 rudder pedals to mess with springs etc.

I am still using the Saitek rudders today.

Stick... Well there is only one if you intend to fly non yoke and if you can afford or warrant the rather large payout.... Thrustmaster Warthog. It is the best stick / throttle bar none.

As note:

I have been flightsimming since the mid 80's, have owned and used CH Products, Saitek, Logitech and of course Thrustmaster among others.

The Logitech G940 was great but flawed by iffy driver / software. I wouldn't personally touch anything else Logitech.

CH Products... Good if you want Airliner / GA flying.

My opinions and they are only opinions...

Go for Saitek (and takes yer chances) but for just a little more money opt for the ultimate... Thrustmaster Warthog together with the Saitek Rudder Pedals.

Edit; For goodness sakes do not use twist grip for rudder unless you really have to O.o :D

I have yoke, stick, throttles and pedals, all from Saitek. I'm reasonably happy, no plans to change anything.

Some problems over the years, all but one turned out to be settings in the sim, thus not a slam on Saitek.

The yoke consistently pulls to the right and can't be calibrated to straight ahead. It really bugged me till I adopted the practice of adding a few clicks of left aileron trim before each flight, now it doesn't bother me.

Wow so much info and thanks a lot! I've read so many good reviews about saitek products and is my top choice but unfortunately rarely available in my country. So the Logitech 3D was the only available good choice and I already ordered it.

Btw, I am currently waiting for my student pilot license so to past the time I am also immersing myself to the sim world.

My instructor advised me to use sim mainly to practice my eye awareness and using a yoke or a stick really doesn't matter.

Thank you for the replies! ;)

Archived