Java + Chrome problems with FSX?

Hi,

I am using Chrome as browser. The last update for Java tells me, Chrome doesn't work any more with Java. I don't know if I need Java for my FSX.

If I deny the update for Java, there could be problems with the old Version in the future.

Java says I could change my browser eg to Firefox. But I like Chrome. So I do not know what to do? Should I deinstall Java completely? Can somebody help?

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Hi,

I am using Chrome as browser. The last update for Java tells me, Chrome doesn't work any more with Java. I don't know if I need Java for my FSX.

If I deny the update for Java, there could be problems with the old Version in the future.

Java says I could change my browser eg to Firefox. But I like Chrome. So I do not know what to do? Should I deinstall Java completely? Can somebody help?

FSX has nothing to do with Java whatsoever.

"Java" is not a program, it is a runtime environment for other programs. You can have multiple Java versions on your PC at the same time with no problems (if you know your way around this stuff).

Edit: I've had a short read about Chrome and Java. It is not that Chrome is Java based or that it will stop working with a new Java version (which are always backward compatible by the way). But Google dropped the NPAPI support, so the Java plugin will no longer work in Chrome. This means, that any Java based website apps/applets will no longer display/function when you use Chrome. You may not even notice this if you don't visit/use such sites.

Thank you for the quick answer.

I am pretty sure Whisplacer from fsdeveloper works with Java.

The problem with the last Java update was the errormessage: Java couldn't be updated as long as I use Chrome. And this worrys me.

Quote:You can have multiple Java versions on your PC at the same time with no problems (if you know your way around this stuff) Sorry but I dont know any with this stuff - is it essentially?

Thank you for the quick answer.

I am pretty sure Whisplacer from fsdeveloper works with Java.

The problem with the last Java update was the errormessage: Java couldn't be updated as long as I use Chrome. And this worrys me.

Quote:You can have multiple Java versions on your PC at the same time with no problems (if you know your way around this stuff) Sorry but I dont know any with this stuff - is it essentially?

Hi, Java based programs should not have trouble with an update, these are backwards compatible. They don't work with Java but rather because of/through the Java Runtime Environment. You could make a simple copy of the JRE residing in your Program Files folder if you want, and direct any true Java program to use it, but under normal cirumstances this is not necessary. Backward compatibility is a strong suit of everything Java.

When exactly did you get this message? Was Chrome active at the time? If so, then close it while the Java update runs. Or simply deactivate the automatic update process in Java anyway, it is not that you really depend on frequent updates, especially not new major versions. For example your program "Whisplacer" may have been built on a Java version 1.5.0_43 years ago. It would always suffice to keep a JRE with this version ready, no further update needed (except for security reasons maybe).

Hi, Java based programs should not have trouble with an update, these are backwards compatible. They don't work with Java but rather because of/through the Java Runtime Environment. You could make a simple copy of the JRE residing in your Program Files folder if you want, and direct any true Java program to use it, but under normal cirumstances this is not necessary. Backward compatibility is a strong suit of everything Java.

When exactly did you get this message? Was Chrome active at the time? If so, then close it while the Java update runs. Or simply deactivate the automatic update process in Java anyway, it is not that you really depend on frequent updates, especially not new major versions.

Hi, I think Chrome was active in the updating time. So I can try to deactivate it for updating. Thank you for the tip.

I heard in the past that Java is often the base for hacking, if you have not the last version. So I thought the automatic update process is the best way.

Hi, I think Chrome was active in the updating time. So I can try to deactivate it for updating. Thank you for the tip.

I heard in the past that Java is often the base for hacking, if you have not the last version. So I thought the automatic update process is the best way.

Hi, personally I think the hacking thing is a little overrated.

But be that as it may - Java distinguishes between major version changes and minor releases - updates or patches. It is advisable to have the latest minor release of a version (1.7.0_xx where xx is the largest number currently availabe). But you do not need to jump to every major version release (Java 5 to 6 to 7 to 8).

Thank you again for your answer and patience.

My Javaversion is 8 Update 31 (Build 1.80_31-b13).

For your tip I think, I have to change my browser for updating Java. After installing maybe I can return to Chrome.

Hi Jim,

My Java Security setting as well is "High". I tried again to update Java and the errormessage comes again (error with plugin).

So I changed the standard browser to IE, updated Java (successful) and reactivated Chrome for standard browser. Now I also have Java version 8 Update 45.:o

I think Google has shot themselves in the foot on this one. But, Java and other good stuff is definitely dead (or soon will be) as far as Chrome is concerned. See http://blog.chromium.org/2014/11/the-final-countdown-for-npapi.html for a bit more info. Lots of stuff is not going to work.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived