Moving FlightSim9

wyatt

My FS9 game has grown to over 9.5 gigs. I have it running on an old Windows XP computer, but would like to transfer it to my new Win8 machine without losing all the planes and scenery I've accumulated. Does anyone know if this can be done, and if so, how would you go about it? Please email me if possible: bleonard431@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Wyatt

9.5 GB is not so big. My FS9 is ten times that.

Anyway, to your question......

1 Dont go for win8. Instal wn7 instead.

2. Backup your entire FS9 installation on an external disk. Uninstall any payware products that use advanced licencing software.

3. Install FS9 from scratch on your new PC, outside of C/program files (X86). Install the 9.1 patch.

4. Install your payware aircraft , then copy over the aircraft.cfg file and the texture files from your backup. Then install your payware scenery.

5 copy over any addon scenery freeware to the addon scenery library. If you had to make changes to existing scenery files you may need to copy over some folders in the main scenery folder. then activate through the scenery library.

I just want to add, that FS9 and all of its addons work just fine with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 I fly my FS9 exclusively on windows 8.1 Professional with lots of dated/classic addons without issue. The only real issue has been black aircraft preview screens when using fS9 in full screen mode.

Capability issues that occur when using FS9 addons in Windows 8.1 are primarily caused by the Flight1 Wrapper/DRM. The software itself is just fine. In my very large install I am still flying PSS' 757/777/Airbus Professional without issue. Infact, FS9 seems to run a little bit better with Win 8.1 Also, AMD's HD driver's make simulated metal surfaces look much more lifelike as well.

I just copied my whole FS9 folder to a portable drive, not forgetting the FS folder in 'My Documents' as well.

I then copied & pasted all into the new PC. Then download the registry repair tool from http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & you'll be good to go! You will probably have to re-install your payware stuff again.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I agree with the feedback already into you. i have had to load my FS9 a few times over the years and now have to in C but outside Programs(X86) in Win 7 At the last last check it was 210Gb and works fine with all my AES, scenery and aircraft add ons both payware and freeware I have both FS9 and FSX but always seem to go back to FS9

I had heard there were issues with joysticks and FS9 + win 8.1 ? What joysticks do you run ?

I use a CH Flightstick/Pro Throttle and CH Rudder pedals. I don't have any issues with my controls. But I do use the latest release CH Drivers specifically created for Windows 8.1

The joystick issues you mention were an issue caused by using Windows 7 drivers in 8.1 Sadly, some very good joysticks like the Thrustmaster Cougar never recieved OEM Windows 8.1 drivers. Windows 8.1 generic drivers for these types of HOTAS were less than ideal.

.... The only real issue has been black aircraft preview screens when using fS9 in full screen mode. ....

I've experienced that twice in the past few years. Each time it was vid driver settings for AA mode (wide tent, narrow tent, etc.).

Archived