Upgraded to the GTX 970 4GB yesterday

Yesterday I upgraded from the Nvidia GT 720 to the GTX 970. I have just done a clean install of FSX SE. What are your recommendations for freeware and payware add-on's to really enhance my sim. I'm really interested in freeware right now. The only addon's that I have right now are the A2A Cherokee and Orbx freeware Global Airports.

Go the the file library here and search under the categories which interest you. 99% of what you see there is free.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Yesterday I upgraded from the Nvidia GT 720 to the GTX 970. I have just done a clean install of FSX SE. What are your recommendations for freeware and payware add-on's to really enhance my sim. I'm really interested in freeware right now. The only addon's that I have right now are the A2A Cherokee and Orbx freeware Global Airports.

Your post implies that you are expecting "quantum leaps" in frame rates and/or scenery density and detail due to your new video adapter. Sadly, FSX (and FSX:SE) are more CPU-dependent than vid card dependent for performance and details.

I replaced a GTX 570 with a new GTX 970 while retaining the same processor, and the difference in FSX:SE was negligible. Other, more recent games I play really came to life with the new card, but FSX stayed pretty much the same. You should see even less of a difference than I did since you upgraded from a newer card than my old GTX 570.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

I upgraded from a gtx 560ti to the GTX 970 and my flights have been smoother and frames are much better, especially around any of the Orbx airports, and the FSDT airports. I set mine with the nvidia inspector software according to this post....http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html. I am having a much better experience with the 970. I have a mild overclock about 450mhz and coupled with the new video card life is good.

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC

8 GB Ripjaws X Series MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 Viewsonic 27" monito

Antec 750 Bronze power supply Fsx on 'Raptor drive<br>Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive 2 Storage HD

I have had a quantum leap in performance on FSX ever since switching to the 970. My computer has a i7 4790 processor and 24 gigs of ram. It had the gt 720 Nvidia card which is a tiny $50 card. My frame rates have gone from 20 to 28 and now 50 60 70 depending on what's going on. Last night I was flying and flew into a thunderstorm and had no problems whatsoever and I also have all of my textures and graphics pretty well maxed out. I have heard of NVIDIA inspector and I may try that at some time but right now I'm not going to change anything with the card.

I have had a quantum leap in performance on FSX ever since switching to the 970. My computer has a i7 4790 processor and 24 gigs of ram. It had the gt 720 Nvidia card which is a tiny $50 card. My frame rates have gone from 20 to 28 and now 50 60 70 depending on what's going on. Last night I was flying and flew into a thunderstorm and had no problems whatsoever and I also have all of my textures and graphics pretty well maxed out. I have heard of NVIDIA inspector and I may try that at some time but right now I'm not going to change anything with the card.

Yeah cards like the 720 aren't really meant for gaming, sure they can handle quite a bit, but 970 will take you so much further, especially in terms of image quality you'll be able to set with the Nvidia tools.

Archived