Please re-fresh my aging brain!

drobson

I've had Erick Cantu's Frontier B737s running in FS2004, (both color schemes-the Crescent Tail, and the Red/Orange color scheme), and they work really well. Now, for my situation. I've managed to get the Crescent scheme working in both FSX boxed, and Steam. However, I cannot get the red/orange scheme to appear. The problem, as I see it, is that the B737TAIL_L textures, (although they are BMP format), are only 64k in size, while the Crescent ones are 1 meg.

I guess what I need to do, and know, is how/what program do I need to use to change the 64k file?

Am I making sense here, or just confusing everyone?

I'd really like to have both color schemes in both versions of FSX.

Thanks for any guidance.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm just going by some of the older FS9 planes that I've repainted and such, but I

don't think the "L" texture is actually the texture that is used as the main paint

for that section of the plane. There should be a matching "T" texture if I'm thinking

right. And it might be missing, which would explain why you are not seeing it.

Also, the L textures are usually a lot smaller than the T textures, which judging by

the description you give, makes sense.

Are there any T textures with the same file names? Also see if the ones for the

working version say T or L.. I sort of suspect they are, or include, T textures.

This image should show the differences.

Image3.jpg

Crescent scheme on left, red/orange on the right. If I open the Crescent Tail with PSP, it looks just like it is here. If I open the same file of the orange/red Tail files, this is what I get

B737TAIL_L.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Darrell, what do you mean by "the plane does not appear"?

Do you mean that is is not available in the plane selection screen or it does show up yet when you load it in the sim it is invisible?

FWIW, the size of the texture should not prevent a plane from showing up in the sim.

Texture file sizes depend on 2 things, the pixel dimensions and the file format.

Many planes, especially older planes, have very small lightmap textures and they work OK.

The larger file might be a custom lightmap whereas the smaller one is a more generic one.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I've copied, (I think), everything from both aircraft into FSX, but only the Crescent aircraft is listed and flyable. Panel.cfg, sound.cfg, are the same in both aircrafts folders. Red/orange livery is not listed/accessible in FSX.

i may have missed something, so I'll double check again. This has me baffled, especially since they both work just fine in Fs9. I must have missed something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no B737_400 in FSX. There is a b737_800. (!?). Perhaps if you Alias the 'no show' to the b737_800 it might work. Remember: in FSX-If there is 'No Panel', then No Airplane model will be loaded (ie: won't 'show').

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I've put all the components from the Crescent livery, (which works fine in FSX and Steam), into the red/orange aircraft, but it just doesn't want to show its colors. Same panel, same sounds, etc. So I've got to believe it's something funky in the textures.

Everything in both aircraft are the same except for the textures.

Will have to dig into it a bit deeper when I get some free time.

These are actually fs9 B737-200s, but one shows in FSX and one won't. Strange!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is nothing in the texture realm that will keep an aircraft from showing in the plane selection screen.

It is most likely an error in the panel reference or the model reference.

Look at those closely.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Success! Had some funky things in the aircraft.cfg. Changed them a bit, and there she is!

redorange.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions, etc. I knew it should work, just didn't look to closely at the right file.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I WAS going to suggest you get the B737-200 Adv by Eric Cantu (and 'get it over with') but I see I too late. It flys very good (no-EXCELLENT) in FSX Accel. Oh well. Glad you found the prblem.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I've had Erick's birds since they came out. There are others in the library, but they have the antenna wires from the fuselage to the tail. Don't like those, and we never had any like that in our fleet.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived