General Aviation flying in FS2004

BenMAHOO

I was wondering if anyone out here still uses FS2004 to do GA flying in FS2004. My system is having trouble running FSX and I was wondering if there is anyone else in my situation that resorts to FS2004.
Signed, Roger Murdoch-Co-pilot.

The majority of my flying is GA, and I've only used FS 9, because FSX is a slideshow on my rig. You'd have to use one of the payware Add on's or something like FS 9 Evo to get the same level of Terrain complexity as FSX.

It comes down to what kind of Sim experience you want to achieve; for me, as long as there's places to land, I'm good. I have enough on my plate just trying to keep the damned airplane in the air, anyway!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

The majority of my flying is GA, and I've only used FS 9, because FSX is a slideshow on my rig. You'd have to use one of the payware Add on's or something like FS 9 Evo to get the same level of Terrain complexity as FSX.

It comes down to what kind of Sim experience you want to achieve; for me, as long as there's places to land, I'm good. I have enough on my plate just trying to keep the damned airplane in the air, anyway!

I totally see what you are saying. That's usually how I will look at my situation. Most of the time I rather not spend a lot of money on a new system, as you would probably agree. I prefer flying more than tweaking.

You'll definitely do more flying that tweaking with FS 9, that's for sure!

I had lots of add on Airports, Mesh and Environment tweaks (freeware) with my Desktop, until it kacked recently. This time, I put a Vanilla Install of FS 9 on my Laptop with just a couple of add on GA planes (Carenado). It may sound funny, but I like the Default setup; all of the sliders are to the right, and everything looks great! The airplanes work very well, too.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Yeah, I have REX FS2004 Overdrive, ASE and Ultimate Terrain. It makes it a great simulator because of the reliability with all these addons. I use my Carenado C152 a lot and flying it on FS2004 has been very enjoyable. The great thing about it is that FS2004 has great scenery for my local airport.

I'm running on a pretty old Dell 1750 laptop, being on a grossly limited income due to forced disability retirement, and while I can run FSX (On a good day, if the stars align, I roll a natural 20 on 2 D10, and I get Glinda the Good Witch to cast a spell), I almost always stick to FS9. I've had it since it hit the shelves, and will probably the day I shuffle off this mortal coil, as the saying goes. I've got so many add-ons, whether gauges, scenery, bits, pieces, tweaks, modules, you name it, that it's just not worth going off it. For me.

Besides, isn't the mantra "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate", not "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, Observate (the outside scenery)" ? :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I was going to ask if you ever tried Bill Lyon's freeware scenery enhancement package called 'Silver Wings'. But since you have all those other add-ons, you might not be even interested, so this 'idea' might just be 'too late'. Oh, well.

I myself enjoy everything about Silver Wings, since I don't have any payware, or any add-ons, and in fact my Scenery AddOn folders are empty right now! Anymore, with FS9 I only mess with weather (Custom/Advanced and wind/visibility layer), and for clouds have ONLY cirrus clouds. If it ain't broke-don't 'fix' it. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

This reminds me of many years ago when I read on various forums of guys saving up to buy a system that would run FS9 when it was first released because then a lot were still on FS2002 and some on 98.

My present system won't run FSX so I too run FS9, I've recently started after watching a TV program to fly GA ferry flights, hoping from country to country to deliver the aircraft.

I went on a couple of real ferry flight websites to get an idea of some routes and I was surprised to see some routes they took seemed longer than the route I would have taken.

I know some routes can't be taken because of terrain or political reasons but some of the routes I saw were in countries where a more shorter route was possible so this had me puzzled, but at least it gave me some ideas of routes.

I was wondering if anyone out here still uses FS2004 to do GA flying in FS2004. My system is having trouble running FSX and I was wondering if there is anyone else in my situation that resorts to FS2004.

Sure... and it's not as if it's a "resort", it is by choice.

Here's a sample: France VFR and Carenado

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/ODJzof.jpg

Sublime...

Actually, Chuck, I do have SilverWings VFR scenery enhancement installed, and yes, I enjoy it very much. It's just one of my numerous add-on thingies. You name it, I probably either have it installed/operating/available, or have tried and rejected it. Nick's LightFix V2, Nick's Propdust 2 and NIck's All-wet, both of which I really love, water texture, inland water textures, AI ships and planes of every stripe, Real-Engine smoke effects, heat shimmer for helicopters, sounds for same, etc etc etc. The list just goes on, longer than my...ARM, as the saying goes. :D

From Duenna to FSRealWX, i have it all. And not a lick of payware. 99% of my add-on "scenery", sort of, I guess, is military. MAIW bases, the FSDT FSBA base in Pensacola, and of course all the carriers I can get, modern and WWII.

Ok, ok, shutting up now sir! Great suggestion, though Chuck, and if I didn't already have it, I'd prolly get it in asap :)

Good fortune and great flying to all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

By now you should have a strong feeling that FS-9 is alive and well, and that it is being flown by a devoted group of people who enjoy flying. I have a very well enhanced version of FS-9 that is my mainstay, and I fly only G.A. The concept of simulating an overpaid bus driver, flying tubes across scenery-less oceans has no interest for me. If it doesn't have a propeller, I don't bother with it! Low and slow is the way to go, especially if you're flying over Holger Sandman's scenery.

hate the GA aircraft always have to look out for pipers near my 747'S or any other airliner I fly AND TIRED OF DOING GO AROUNDS 50 FT ABOVE THE DAMN RUNWAY CAUSE A LITTLE PUDDLE JUMPER IS TURNING OFF THE RUNWAY!!!!!!!

there should be an addon to keep the little puddle jumpers clear of international airports

there should be an addon...
There are several ways of getting rid of those pesky little AI fellers.

About as far back as I can remember, I removed the stock AI traffic file, and installed WOAI for the heavies.

And to add back some littlies where you want:

There are many GA traffic addons, a good one is Markus Brunner's

FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc.FS2004 GA-Traffic 1.0

[ Download | View ]

Name: gatraffi.zip

Size: 7,836,714 Date: 05-01-2004 Downloads: 8,962

There are several ways of getting rid of those pesky little AI fellers.

About as far back as I can remember, I removed the stock AI traffic file, and installed WOAI for the heavies.

And to add back some littlies where you want:

There are many GA traffic addons, a good one is Markus Brunner's

FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc.FS2004 GA-Traffic 1.0

[ Download | View ]

Name: gatraffi.zip

Size: 7,836,714 Date: 05-01-2004 Downloads: 8,962

I will give that a shot

Archived