FSRecorder Cam View Question

I've been practicing for the first time with setting up a camera view. But I don't understand all of the steps.

What I did:

Enter slew mode.

Slew to a new spot that I want a camera

Tell FSRecorder that I want to create a new tower cam. (I'm assuming that it will create a new camera above the position where I've slewed to)

But when I try to select the new camera view it doesn't switch to the new camera view at all.

I have found some FSRecorder forum threads on the subject but the solutions given are incomplete or a bit confusing.

Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

Slew to a new spot that I want a camera

Tell FSRecorder that I want to create a new tower cam. (I'm assuming that it will create a new camera above the position where I've slewed to)

There is another step. I don't have my FSX machine running so I can't be specific, but I think you need to select 'edit tower camera' or some such from the view menu. There is a dialog where you need to choose the 'set tower to current aircraft position' option, which is what you are trying to do.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I'm also trying to edit my aircraft.cfg to add new camera positions but when I save the cfg and then open the airplane in FSX the new cam views aren't available. What am I doing wrong?
Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

Southportguy,

From 'Locked Spot' view, press (keyboard) 'S' key TWICE. You are now in Camera Views. Pressing 'A' key cycles thru view.

Make sure your (CameraDefinition.X) is sequential. 'X' is number. Notice '.' before number. Outside views are '.1','.2', etc. VC views are '.001', '.002', etc. You also must have a GUID (unique and not duplicates allowed).

And as far as FSRecorder: you can make a new tower view, but if you are in spot view, you will stay in spot view. You need to toggle to the tower view with press of 'Shift+S' key combo. You can't use FSX view change keys with FSRecorder (it takes away the 'F' key view changes and uses them). So there is your conflict.

But FSRecorder will allow the 'Shift+S' view change. Only way I find it works with FSX (due to FSX command key assignments). Then when in 'FSRecorder Tower View' you can try the 'A' key to go to other tower views. FSRecorder command keys (which use 'F' keys) can be changed to other keypresses. Takes a little work but woth it. Just be sure to save changes. FSRecorder is a fantastic addon for FS9 and FSX. But it also gives ME 'fantastic' headaches too (and been working with it since 2004). I break out in a sweat just THINKING about it. Ha. But at the same time I love it.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

He doesn't have to create any GUID to use a camera view. He isn't a modeler or panel creator. He is a simmer just like us (we?). He CAN very well 'borrow' them from any default airplane and use it for his own use on any other airplane. Copy then paste. Check sequential numbers. Save. Go fly. Forget the programming and code part. Cheesh.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Southportguy,

From 'Locked Spot' view, press (keyboard) 'S' key TWICE. You are now in Camera Views. Pressing 'A' key cycles thru view.

Make sure your (CameraDefinition.X) is sequential. 'X' is number. Notice '.' before number. Outside views are '.1','.2', etc. VC views are '.001', '.002', etc. You also must have a GUID (unique and not duplicates allowed).

And as far as FSRecorder: you can make a new tower view, but if you are in spot view, you will stay in spot view. You need to toggle to the tower view with press of 'Shift+S' key combo. You can't use FSX view change keys with FSRecorder (it takes away the 'F' key view changes and uses them). So there is your conflict.

But FSRecorder will allow the 'Shift+S' view change. Only way I find it works with FSX (due to FSX command key assignments). Then when in 'FSRecorder Tower View' you can try the 'A' key to go to other tower views. FSRecorder command keys (which use 'F' keys) can be changed to other keypresses. Takes a little work but woth it. Just be sure to save changes. FSRecorder is a fantastic addon for FS9 and FSX. But it also gives ME 'fantastic' headaches too (and been working with it since 2004). I break out in a sweat just THINKING about it. Ha. But at the same time I love it.

Chuck B

Napamule

Hi,

Your help worked great! Thanks! But I did find it really tough to find unique GUIDs to copy from other aircraft. So I used the GUID tool. Thanks guys. This is fun indeed.

I will have some followup questions regarding creating camera views at airports.

I have a followup question. At one time it was suggested to me that when I run FSrecorder to playback, that I should "Play as Traffic" instead? What is the value in doing this? Is there a benefit for CPU usage?

If you use "play" or "instant replay" only one recorded aircraft will displayed!

For "Play as traffic" you can choose multiple recorded flights (STRG and left click to choose more then one file)!

A good example for "Play as traffic" is this vid, I have played multiple recorded flights at one time as AI traffic, but my "current" aircraft was the F-18 at the end of this vid at the catapult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNP6TLhXT58

FSRecorder allows you to record 'flights' and save them. Then you can play them (together) and the different flight will be played at the same time (ie: 'Play As AI Traffic'). YOU created the flights, so they are not AI traffic, per se, but FSRecorder can play them together, and as if they were AI traffic.

So the flights, when played together, will show the different aircraft doing 'their thing' and then you can then join (fallow other aircraft as you would in a formation flight) which you can then record with Fraps. Here is an example of FSRecorder playing 7 different (previously saved) 'flights' (vehicles in this case) at the same time.

Chuck B

Napamule

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeL9yG7aJkI

I've got 100% success when adding cameras to the individual aircraft.cfg's. Now I'm trying to install a camera as a new tower view in Toronto Pearson but when I open up the plane at that airport, the new fixed camera does not appear as an option when I right-click in views, nor does it appear in the cycle. Here is what I did:

[CameraDefinition.012]

Title = Toronto: Main Tower

Guid = {7552d106-a48a-481a-bc45-c07807bfbef3}

Description = Toronto: Main Tower

Origin = Fixed

InstancedBased = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

Track = Track

ShowAxis = No

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 1.0

SmoothZoomTime = 5.0

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = TRUE

Transition = No

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Outside

ClipMode=Normal

CycleHideRadius = 7

FixedLatitude=n43.4367

FixedLongitude=w79.6291

FixedAltitude=30

InitialPbh=0, 0, 0

CycleHidden=No

I'm using this as my tutorial: http://www.fstipsandaddons.com/tutorials/understanding-fsx-cameras.html and then scroll to Part 3: Adding a fixed camera.

OK. So far I have success getting it to show up when going to right-click Custom and the name my new camera.

A new problem is when I go to that camera view, it generates a 2D cockpit view looking down at about 10 deg to the ground.

Here is what I found as co-ordinates for TOWER at Toronto Pearson (see pic). Here is link to site: http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com/ .

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit/PS: Notice that LON value is NEGATIVE. See pic. Also, you can slew to location where the tower is in FSX and with 'Shift+Z' you can read the co ordinates.

Toronto Pearson (YYZ).jpg

Here is what I found as co-ordinates for TOWER at Toronto Pearson (see pic). Here is link to site: http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com/ .

Chuck B

Napamule

Thanks. I did some checkin at it is the Apron tower (apparently) and it is not the tower view I want to make. The coordinates I chose go to a second of three towers on the airfield.

Also, see my other post above Chuc. Any idea about my puzzling 2D cockpit showing up?

I've got 100% success when adding cameras to the individual aircraft.cfg's. Now I'm trying to install a camera as a new tower view in Toronto Pearson but when I open up the plane at that airport, the new fixed camera does not appear as an option

I don't know why you are doing this manually, FS Recorder creates and saves the tower views from the menus so you should not need to edit any files. The tower views are loaded and saved independently of the aircraft, so I don't think you should expect them to load with the a/c. Did you select the 'save' option to save your tower cameras?

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I don't know why you are doing this manually, FS Recorder creates and saves the tower views from the menus so you should not need to edit any files. The tower views are loaded and saved independently of the aircraft, so I don't think you should expect them to load with the a/c. Did you select the 'save' option to save your tower cameras?

I think I wanted to try modifying cfg's because FSr was being problematic. I believe the solution is simple but I'm getting crashes and I believe it is a matter of permissions because I run W8. Hence why I was trying cfg's instead. I'll try FSr again.

Hi South,

If you return to adding an aircraft camera here's an the example from the Fixed Camera Test included in the SDK:

[CameraDefinition.001]

Title = Fixed Camera 1

Guid = {835BFC1C-1A03-994A-A176-49318FEB094E}

Description = Placeholder description

Origin = Fixed

InstancedBased = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

Track = Track

ShowAxis = No

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 4.0

SmoothZoomTime = 1.0

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = FALSE

Transition = Yes

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Custom

FixedLatitude=N43.103570

FixedLongitude=W77.690494

FixedAltitude=230

InitialPbh=0, 0, 0

I've checked this out previously and know it works. I suspect the Category entry as the cause of your problem but don't know for sure and haven't checked it out.

Hope this helps.

Jim F.

I did not even consider or think about your 2D panel in your camera view. Was more into finding the 'FSX Tower' (for view) as opposed to the 'Real' Tower, and then perhaps the FSRecorder tower. That 3rd 'tower' is probably a radio/radar/uhf tower. They will all be different co-ordinates. When you find the co-ordinates for whichever tower you are going to 'live in', then you work on the cfg (syntax, typos, etc).

I went to (CYYZ) and here are the pics, with co-ordinates, which you might find useful. I am learning, so I don't consider this 'work'.

I may join you in your quest. Been wanting to master views (ie: making changes to 'initial xyz' and 'initial Pbn') for a while now. Now I will 'get into it' 100%.

Chuck B

Napamule

FSX Tower View Location.jpg

(CYYZ)_Layout.jpg

(CYYZ)_Real Tower.jpg

(CYYZ)_FSX Tower View.jpg

Hi South,

If you return to adding an aircraft camera here's an the example from the Fixed Camera Test included in the SDK:

[CameraDefinition.001]

Title = Fixed Camera 1

Guid = {835BFC1C-1A03-994A-A176-49318FEB094E}

Description = Placeholder description

Origin = Fixed

InstancedBased = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

Track = Track

ShowAxis = No

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 4.0

SmoothZoomTime = 1.0

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = FALSE

Transition = Yes

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Custom

FixedLatitude=N43.103570

FixedLongitude=W77.690494

FixedAltitude=230

InitialPbh=0, 0, 0

I've checked this out previously and know it works. I suspect the Category entry as the cause of your problem but don't know for sure and haven't checked it out.

Hope this helps.

Jim F.

Hi Everyone,

Well, it worked. I pasted Jim's text above and adjusted coordinates and everything worked. Thanks guys!

I'd like to someday figure out why my FS Recorder steps are not working. I know it's just me missing certain steps but trial and error just takes too long.

I did not even consider or think about your 2D panel in your camera view. Was more into finding the 'FSX Tower' (for view) as opposed to the 'Real' Tower, and then perhaps the FSRecorder tower. That 3rd 'tower' is probably a radio/radar/uhf tower. They will all be different co-ordinates. When you find the co-ordinates for whichever tower you are going to 'live in', then you work on the cfg (syntax, typos, etc).

I went to (CYYZ) and here are the pics, with co-ordinates, which you might find useful. I am learning, so I don't consider this 'work'.

I may join you in your quest. Been wanting to master views (ie: making changes to 'initial xyz' and 'initial Pbn') for a while now. Now I will 'get into it' 100%.

Chuck B

Napamule

Yeah, the "real tower" is what I'm shooting for. Got it to work now. Thanks. Stuff like seeing your vids are really inspiring to be more creative with cam views.

I have been using FSRecorder since 2004 and even today, after not using it for 3 months, I will get confused, confonded, riled, and have to take a walk or rock out and then get back to it after my BRAIN cools down (hehe).

The 'trick' is working out the TIMING concerning START of replay and having to 'match' or 'formation fly' with the 'AI' (that are in the previous recordings). It takes practice. And I re read the instructions AGAIN (for the umpteen time). I even print screen the pages and print them out and still I get one silly thing wrong and have to start over. But that is the way it works-it's NOT easy due to how really 'complicated' the whole (thinking) process is. Hang in there.

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived