FSX Steam installation problems

krosen

Has anyone received a messg "requested flight file corrupt or missing" when attempting to install FSX SE. I received and think I've done about everything to solve the issue to no avail. I verified the filles and they are always verified at 100%; I've uninstalled the program files that exist and deleted all fsx se registry entries and I've deleted the fsxse flight files in the documents directory. nothing works. appreciate any advice.

tia

Did you previously have FSX installed on that same PC?

It sounds like you have an old FSX.cfg from a previous install that has a default flight file called in it, that no longer exists.

Go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and delete the FSX.cfg file.

It may be in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

krosen, YES, I had that same message but it had to do with me getting the new beta update into my Steam....My problem I finally determined was that I was not doing correctly what the instructions were saying...so after many frustrating tries I finally got everything right and did not lose anything and Steam is fine....this hobby is filled with frustration from time to time and you just have to keep at it. Hope you have solved your problem...you can always contact Steam....Do not give up...cuz I don't...lol alv

thank you both for responding. i neglected to mention that when i first installed fsx se it worked 3 times when i started the sim and then the trouble began. i tried The Bean's suggestion and still got the same result. alverthein i'm not aware of any beta for fsxse. as far as contacting steam support, they don't respond to any queries and they don't use phonoe support.

again, thank you both for your suggestions.

kenr

OK, back to basics.

When do you see this message? Is this during install or when you try to start FSX?

Have you ever had the boxed version of FSX on that computer?

If you go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (or C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE if you have it) do you see a file named "FSX", without an extension?

If you open the FSX.cfg in Notepad, what is on the situation= line?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

i see the abort message after the scenery file indices and the database for new scenery are loaded in fsxse when i try to start it. i do have the boxed version of fsx installed on the same computer. there is no fsx file with an extension in either fsx or fsxse. the fsx cfg situation line reads Situation=Flights\Other\Fltsim. There was no situation line in the fsxse cfg. Please note that fsxse worked the first 3 times i tried to use the sim.

thx for your help.

Ken

I do have the boxed version of fsx installed on the same computer.

OK, so you have both...

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

...and...

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

There is no fsx file with an extension in either fsx or fsxse

The question was, "do you have a file named "FSX" without an extension in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE"?

Since you also have boxed installed the file name would be "fsx_se".

There was no situation line in the fsxse cfg.

Are you sure?

It would be in the [uSERINTERFACE] section.

If it truly is not there, add the same line as in the FSX.cfg.

Please note that fsxse worked the first 3 times i tried to use the sim.

OK, did you change anything at that time?

Did you save a flight as your default flight?

Do you have a file named fltsim.flt in...\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\flights\other?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

not only was there no situation line in the se cfg there was no userinterface entry either so i added both. i didn't change any entries in the simulation nor did i add any default flts.

the SE Filght folder/other there were 15 wx and flt default fight plans in addition to the fltsim.flt file. i noticed that the se cfg is quite small compared to the FSX cfg folder.

So we have not had much luck defining the problem, maybe we can take another approach.

Can you get past the warning and get into the sim?

If so, save another flight, any flight, and check the "save as default flight" box.

Shut down the sim and restart, does the message go away?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

There is supposed to be an icon on your desktop.....have you right clicked on that and tried to load steam that way once you are into the steam site? Also, after clicking on the ICON run it as the administrator...... I do know that Steam does work...keep trying..al v

I'm guessing here. I don't even have SteamFSX. But what I say here is all regarding your fsx-se.

3things:

---------------------

First, you need to make sure you are looking at the correct file.

in the appdata folder are 2 files with very similar names.

fsx-se.cfg

and

fsx-se.cfg.txt

If, in windows, "hide extensions for known file types" is selected, the .txt part of that last file, and the .cfg part of the first file, may be hidden.

To make sure you are looking at the correct file, make sure Windows is set to show the extensions for known file types.

How to do that, see here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions#show-hide-file-name-extensions=windows-7

----------------------------------------------

Second. If you now see that you were actually looking at the wrong file, the rest of this message is not important.

Were you looking at the correct file already? If so read on.

---------------------------

In the box version of fsx it is as follows:

There is a way to create a fresh fsx.cfg file. You don't have to type anything in manually or cpoy-paste.

If you close fsx. Then delete the fsx.cfg file. Then restart fsx. FSX will create a fresh fsx.cfg file on startup.

You could try that for fsx-se, but, be safe.

First close FSX-SE.

In the appdata/microsoft/fsx-se folder, do not just delete the fsx-se.cfg file. Instead, move it to a different folder.

Or, better, leave it in the same folder, but rename it to fsx-se-20apr2015.cfg

(that way you still have it, in case fsx-se still can't start and create a new fsx-se.cfg file on startup.)

Then start fsx-se to see if it is fixed.

I have no idea if it will work. But I have a good feeling about it...;)

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thx for your advice. unfortunately unlike fsx, fsxse doesn't have a cfg.txt file. hidden folders and files on my computer aren't hidden. i tried eliminating the se cfg but although it was regenerated, when i restarted the sim the same problem occurred. not knowing which flight file is corrupt or missing makes it impossible to search for it. again, thx for your help.

Ok.

In the fresh fsx-se.cfg is there still no [uSEINTERFACE] section and no situation= line?

I'm also thinking something else. a corrupt logbook can stop fsx from starting.

In fsx-BOX that is located in:

..\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

The file is named: Logbook.bin

The same idea, Close fsx, Rename the file to Logbook-old.bin or something, Start fsx.

Fsx creates a new logbook.

I do not know in which folder the logbook gets stored for fsx-se. Hope it helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The FSX.cfg.txt file is created when FSX crashes and you see the screen asking you if you want to tell Microsoft about it.

I suspect you will never see that file in FSX-Steam as Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

Try this, in the FSX_SE.cfg file, find the [startup} section and add the following line...

DisablePreload=1

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I do not know in which folder the logbook gets stored for fsx-se. Hope it helps.

C:\Users\your name\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files

Never argue with idiots.

not only did the se cfg folder not have an users interface entry it didn't have a startrup entry either. i added both; still couldn't run se. couldn't find any logbook entry in the whole program either.if i could get in touch with steam support i'd aske them tro delete the version i have nd send me a clean version to download. they never rspond to queies only put ypu into a looop with possible answers to problems. i think the corrupt file is in the version i currently have. thanks to both of you for your help.

Archived