Question about FS2Crew with PMDG 737/777

noahweber

Hey, everyone:

I have a quick question about FS2Crew and the PMDG packages. Does the voice control edition allow you to navigate ALL of the standard checklists and procedures using only voice commands? In other words, is it possible to conduct a whole flight without having to use the mouse to manually click on switches in the VC? If not, does anyone have recommendations for a good configuration of add-ons that would give me a more complex airliner experience (even if not PMDG-level complexity) AND the ability to avoid having to use the mouse/keyboard? My ultimate goal is to be able to operate a reasonably complex airliner flight using only voice control and whatever I can program to my Saitek panels (radio, autopilot and switch).

I'm on Steam edition so I'm hoping for Steam-friendly suggestions, please.

Thanks!

-Noah

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

In my experience, FS2Crew's strong suit are the checklists and the automatic flow in the background. These are very well done. You can have your crew do other things by voice command too, but that functon is not very flexible IMO. In this respect I prefer MCE, where you can control pretty much anything by voice, even write your own voice scripts, if default is not enough.

Matter of taste which one I use on a flight. Money wise MCE is a lot cheaper, because it is more versatile and it generally works with each and any plane you have in your hangar. Plus it lets you speak to ATC too, or you command your FO to take over ATC for you.

Thanks for the reply, nuikati.

Just to clarify, does that mean that with FS2Crew any item contained within a checklist can be handled by voice? I just really hate having to click on random overhead panel switches when I'd rather just say the item and have the FO handle it, OR have the FO ask me and I can just say "check" or something without having to click. Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks again for the help.

-Noah

As a captain you have to do your share of clicks with FS2Crew, just like in RW. The checklists are there - well - to check that everyone has done his job, obviously. You could do 'read-and-do(but YOU have to click anyway)' but that is not very realistic IMO.

If you prefer that your FO does pretty much all the clicking, and the checklist is just a Q&A excercise, get MCE. You can script the FO to do anything by voice command, except setting up the FMC.

I suggest having a look at the Youtube videos about MCE (like from David Herky) to get an idea. Then compare to the FS2Crew vids by Frooglesim. Or get the MCE demo.

As a captain you have to do your share of clicks with FS2Crew, just like in RW. The checklists are there - well - to check that everyone has done his job, obviously. You could do 'read-and-do(but YOU have to click anyway)' but that is not very realistic IMO.

If you prefer that your FO does pretty much all the clicking, and the checklist is just a Q&A excercise, get MCE. You can script the FO to do anything by voice command, except setting up the FMC.

I suggest having a look at the Youtube videos about MCE (like from David Herky) to get an idea. Then compare to the FS2Crew vids by Frooglesim. Or get the MCE demo.

Alright that's the info I need. Thanks again. I'm going to look more closely at MCE. Does the program include any of the PMDG functions to map to voice controls directly or are you thinking I'd have to assign the functions to key commands via FSUIPC and then use MCE to map voice commands to those keyboard commands?

I hope that made sense...

-Noah

MCE has access to the PMDG API and is deemed fully compatible. The voice commands are not mappings to key strokes, instead they map to whole sim functions and are written in readable text. I suggest getting the MCE demo and trying it out. Nothing to lose there...

MCE has access to the PMDG API and is deemed fully compatible. The voice commands are not mappings to key strokes, instead they map to whole sim functions and are written in readable text. I suggest getting the MCE demo and trying it out. Nothing to lose there...

Yep. Tried out MCE and my initial impressions were pretty positive. Thanks for the tip!

-Noah

Archived