Aerodynamic lander prototype

Spacecraft under development.

I originally developed this vehicle for X-Plane's Mars environment. After proving good performance in Earth atmosphere, and with the inspiration from the Ranger spacecraft in the movie 'Interstellar', I've decided to design an aerodynamic lander for Earth.

The goal was putting a 20,000 - 35,000 lbs vehicle on small sized landing spots, such as lakes, swamps etc. Pure aerodynamic landing weight is limited.

This is a simulation video, not animation.

Landings on water are possible also without the Retro rockets, by flying the vehicle as a pure Lifting Body glider, such as the X-24A, and using the same aerodynamic approach and flare technique.

Optimal glide speed on final approach is ~300 Knots.

The massive dorsal air brake is adjustable for atmospheric entry angle of attack management, potential management during post entry glide and final deceleration and stabilization during the final slowdown upon the flare. (which could done aggressively like shown in the video at 00:01:48 )

The 'Flea' concept vehicle is equipped with fuel for a short go-around 'hop' to improve or correct a miss judged landing spot, or to perform final maneuvers to overcome strong winds or obstacles in the landing site.

More details about the 'Flea' can be found at http://www.vskylabs.com (in the 'Mars Exploration Program' section).

00:00:00 - Undershoot powered go around 'hop'.

00:00:35 - Undershoot powered go around 'hop'.

00:01:05 - Undershoot powered go around 'hop'.

00:01:24 - Powerless flare and touchdown.

00:01:48 - Aggressive powerless final approach, flare and touchdown.

00:02:16 - Touchdown after go around 'hop'.

00:02:30 - Powered correction for touchdown after miss-judged flare height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7x0q4d7QU

Does it really 'need' to bounce that much? Is that what you want? In FS9 and FSX you could make it touch and stay by adjusting the compression for the 'floats' in contact points section of aircraft cfg. I don't know if/how Flight Sim translates to X-P, but the 'default' floats may be '0.500, 2.5, 0.800'. The better values for floats is '0.100', 4.5, 1.000'. IE: Static Compression (ft) (0 if rigid). Max/Static Compression Ratio, and Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped). Also using HUGE amounts (value of 32767, or (experimental) value of -2) for spoiler in the air file will stop it quick (deployed only AFTER it is on the water). Hope this helps.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Does it really 'need' to bounce that much? Is that what you want? In FS9 and FSX you could make it touch and stay by adjusting the compression for the 'floats' in contact points section of aircraft cfg. I don't know if/how Flight Sim translates to X-P, but the 'default' floats may be '0.500, 2.5, 0.800'. The better values for floats is '0.100', 4.5, 1.000'. IE: Static Compression (ft) (0 if rigid). Max/Static Compression Ratio, and Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped). Also using HUGE amounts (value of 32767, or (experimental) value of -2) for spoiler in the air file will stop it quick (deployed only AFTER it is on the water). Hope this helps.

Chuck B

Napamule

Hi and thanks for your comment :)

This is X-Plane...

There is no compression of floats because the of the structure of the spacecraft.

Bouncing occurs because of my flying skills...This is not an aircraft/glider which flares and touchdown upon pilot continuous inputs. This is a lifting body glider without an actual go-around capabilities. So, if I flare too high, I'll crash. If I flare too low, I'll crash. If I'll touchdown too fast with a high sink rate, I'll bounce...

Thanks again!

Archived