Possible Memory Issue?

Hi Everyone,

First post here so go easy on me please! haha

I have been having a problem lately with regards to a few FSX crashes..

About mid flight all of a sudden FSX will just switch to Not Responding, then if I click on the screen it goes white and asks me to close it down!

Im guessing its related to memory, however no PC genius!

I have noticed lately that in the PMDG 744 for example, mid flight, when I toggle between different views after a while it will only let me view 2 views. VC and Spot. The ability to view other types of views goes... Also the VC instruments freeze essentially and I have to push F9 (VC view) to get them working again.

This also happens on the Aerosoft A320 whereby mid flight it only gives me 2 views. VC or Spot.. However VC instruments remain current at all times..

I am currently flying BAW4 JFK-LCY, 3 hours into the flight and I have started to notice the little things happening..

I am currently experiencing a drop in FPS and a bit of lag, Also when pressing "S" keyboard command the change views, instead of the 4 usual views (Flight deck, outside, aircraft,custom) It now only allows me to see Flight deck and Outside, I can right click and select the view I want, but at risk of FSX CTD'ing.

I have installed the highmemfix module that members kindly informed me of but it seems to no avail..

My PC specs are as follows - Intel I7 2600 3.40 GHZ, Windows 7 64 bit, RAM 6GB, AMD HD 780 graphics card.

I keep my PC usage to a minimum when FSX is running. I only have chrome open for general browsing & this forum, FSX, Active Sky and BA phoenix aswell as Vpilot.

It seems to start with the restricted views then followed by long pauses of say 1-3 minutes where FSX is not responding. Sometimes it comes back other times it doesnt. However over the atlantic I have no chance of making my diversion airfield if the pauses are 3 minutes each over a 1 hour period as it pushes me over the phoenix time limit..

I have been monitoring the virtual size as kindly mentioned also by the members, at the moment FSX is currently at 1,908,364K. 4,000,000K is the limit am I correct?

Sometimes If I leave the PC alone and walk away the view select may come back and the FPS increase and its back to normal which prompted me to think some sort of memory or RAM issue? I am not very computer literate and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps just a quick thought, I should have 8GB of RAM but its only showing 6Gb on windows properties?? Do I have a bad stick?

Thanks all

If you are comfortable opening up your computer you can check the memory yourself. Download a free copy of Memtest 86+ and burn it to a CD. Then remove all but one of your memory sticks from the computer. You are going to test each stick individually. Reboot the computer making sure the BIOS is set to boot from a CD. Memtest 86+ will start and test the memory stick. Might take a while to do this. Test each stick by itself. If the sticks pass then you do not have a problem with the memory in your computer.

You won't get the benefit of dual channel speed improvement unless you use a pair of matched DDR3.

When problems show up the first thing to do is ask: what changed? Did you add new hardware even a USB device, new software even a driver update and so on? A new add on in FSX? Think back at least a week before the problems started as things don't always show up immediately.

Archived